[map] sorn 1.3

[map] sorn 1.3

Postby raiden » 23 Jan 2012, 14:11

sorn 1.3.2 zip

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

sorn 1.3.2 zip

I actualized my sorn map to version 1.3 now. Everything has changed a bit. I fixed the discussed issues and added small things. Good news for users with a slow internet: the new download link shares a much smaller file now :) . I didn't add new screenshots, the shown here come still from version 1.2. For a closer look at the changes, just take a look at the following changelog.

1.3.2 small additions:
- added grass to the destructed ground
- changed some lights, no groundbreaking changes

I work on a new map now, so please remind me here, if you find something strange! I'll take a look to this thread from time to time.

1.3.1 small additions:
- all portals have sounds now (not really necessary, because you heard the sound already from the portal you leaved - but so it's perfect)
- removed the defend-flag from the middle

changelog since 1.2:
----------------------------
- decent retexturing
- fixed portal issues, had to rebuild some geometry details for that, ...
- boxes: rearranged them, deleted some of them, rounded some edges, everything in order to fit the players movementabilities
- added more clips for the same reason
- added more weapon spawns
- decent changes on graphics, some additional details
- changed the position of the blue flag
- added flag holders for all four teams
- added waypoints for bots and deleted some, tried to better the wayfinding routines
- diverse changes on lighting - very decent

no issues known at the moment
Last edited by raiden on 14 Aug 2012, 15:19, edited 19 times in total.
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

ingame: .uEn|r4iden
raiden

Re: dm map: sorn beta

Postby Catalanoic » 23 Jan 2012, 21:49

well done!!!
Catalanoic

Postby Ulukai » 24 Jan 2012, 10:28

Congratulations on your first map! :-)

I took the time to test it yesterday and it's looking quite good. I understand why you call it beta as there could be some more polish at certain points, but you're on the right track!

Layout
I like the layout of the map. Enough places for cover and yet some open areas and different buildings.

Texturing
OK atm, but could be better. Try to be consistent when texturing. Some textures are used for walls, ceilings and floors, over and over again. Experiment with other textures or different sizes to have some more variation and make the world look more real. The yellow looks good on the map and we don't have a lot of maps with yellow in it, so well done, but don't overdo it.

Lighting
Lighting is good and I like the different colors you used. It could be a little brighter at some spots, but it's not bad at all.

Detailing
The buildings look good, I like the roofs and how you used glass. The outside water area is fun and beatiful, but you can't just run out of the water, you have to jump although there are stairs... Try to make the stairs less steep or use a ladder zone (but that would be akward because it's so low). The use of small computer screens, displays and buttons shows that you have given it a lot of thought which make it realistic.

I hope this helps you improve the map further, I'm looking foirward to your next release.
Ulukai

Postby raiden » 24 Jan 2012, 12:19

At first, thank you for looking and commenting.

Special thanks to Ulukai for the detailed thoughts and points, I can go through. I suspected, that the water area will be part of the discussion :| and you are right. I see what I can do to change something with the stairs. I will also change the place for the rocketlauncher. It should not be to difficult to reach it. (I planned the water area as a kind of trap for the player at first, but it is a little bit too much.)
Your points about lighting and texturing: I will work on and try to better these things.

Ahh: and thanks for first map congratulations - with that editor - it's possible that this will not be my only one ;) .
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

raiden

Postby Ulukai » 25 Jan 2012, 16:28

I'm glad you can improve your map with the feedback, that's the strength of an OSS project like this. I enjoy making maps myself and v1.2 does make it a lot easier indeed.

How long did you work on this map? I just ask because although it is an easy editor, it takes me a lot of time, even for small maps. Just because it's never really finished to me. I keep going back to certain ares to change textures, add small details, experiment with something new and don't like it after all so I need to remove it again, ... :) I hope to be able to release v1.0 of my second map in a few weeks now. Geometry and texturing is done, now entities and lighting and then the affinities...
Ulukai

Postby raiden » 26 Jan 2012, 00:49

Hi Ulukai,
of course, your detailed explanation helps me a lot, to find difficulties and to contemplate, how to change them useful. It's a permanent balancing betwen design/layout and playability for me. This project is still growing up and I make similar expieriences like you: "it's never really finished":). There are still changes necessary, here and there.
However, I work maybe since 3 weeks on this map. I took all the sparetime I had until now, impossible to say how much hours that means. At first I thought, I can quickly finish the map and go to the next ideas I have, but that was sadly a mistake; I realised many necessary changes , so that I can't say, when the next release will come :D . Yes, it needs much time to build a map.

I wish you good luck for your work and may the excercise succeed.

PS.: What is meant by the affinities ?
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

raiden

Postby Ulukai » 26 Jan 2012, 10:14

Affinities are items like flags that show up in team games, ...

Well, good luck to you too and keep us posted. :)
Ulukai

Re: sorn 1.2 final

Postby raiden » 31 Jan 2012, 23:09

Go to the top of the post: the map got finalized :) .

Ps: If there is an admin who wants to add this map to his server and maprotation: you are welcome. You are invited to post a reply here.

Greetings
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

raiden

Postby arand » 31 Jan 2012, 23:40

Please supply a zip version, given it's a more available format :)
arand

Re:sorn 1.2 final

Postby raiden » 01 Feb 2012, 00:02

Done.

For this special one person who downloaded the map until now: I actualised the link again and uploaded the whole folder, because I forgot to use the Version with all flags in the level. You can not play all modes excepting CTF, DM, defend the bomb, multi DM. If you want to have everything inside, you should download again. I'm sorry about that. This concerns only one downloader.

After reloading, everything should be fine. It's still the link on the top (zip only now).

Please feel free again to comment, you are welcome.
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

raiden

Postby Ulukai » 01 Feb 2012, 11:19

I'm looking forward to trying the map again, sounds like you put a lot of effort in improving it. :) I understand that you had your share with this map now and want to let it rest for a while, but if the teleports are behaving weird, I think such a thing needs to be fixed after all. You don't have to do it immediately, but maybe think about it and if you're stuck, try looking for some help on the IRC channel.

When I have had some time, I'll post my findings here again. Thank you!
Ulukai

sorn 1.3

Postby raiden » 01 Feb 2012, 16:05

Thats true, sovereign to the fact, that the portals work overall and are linked correctly, I should fix them. How I wrote: it happens sometimes. Depending on playerspeed and moving direction, I suppose, they behave different. I already tryed out a different radius several times. The 'push' variable couldn't also be the answer. - I'll see what I can do. Perhaps I consult somebody via the IRC channel, yes.

09.02.2012 :!: :
Look at the top of the post: the new version 1.3 is out now. The issues should be fixed and everything should be done. Many details have changed. I added a nearly complete list of the changes and added some extras to the map. Have fun and give it a try.
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

raiden

Re: sorn 1.3 is out

Postby Ulukai » 10 Feb 2012, 11:45

I've played v1.3 and took a good look around your map and I must say that the more I look around, the more I'm amazed how much work and love you've put into all the small details :) You're architecture is really good and there is a consistent feeling and theme across the whole map, although there are many different structures. Overall it's a big improvement over your first version and also texturing is better.

Still some thoughts, of course you're free to do with them what you want:
- DTF has lots of flags (7). I think 6 is more than enough, this makes conquering all maps simultaneously already very difficult. The flag standards on the ground are very well made, that's very creative ;)
- Some teleport locations have no sounds, and others do. I don't know if this is intentional, but it's a bit weird to me.
- You have a lot of light sources, although it's largely an open area which could have a natural light source like a sun. Remember: more is less, you could remove some light sources and/or light textures and make some radiuses bigger.
- See printscreen: small area, but lots of different lights and different colors. Looks kinda chaotic.

screenshot.0001.jpeg

Other than that the map plays very pleasant, I like it!
Ulukai

Postby raiden » 11 Feb 2012, 15:45

Thanks for your kind words Ulukai.

- DTF has lots of flags (7). I think 6 is more than enough, this makes conquering all maps simultaneously already very difficult. ...

Ah, well thats an important hint. I havn't tested this mode again and forgot to take a closer look. I only kept the multiteams in my mind and thought they could need much flags :). I removed the middle flag now.

- Some teleport locations have no sounds, and others do. I don't know if this is intentional, but it's a bit weird to me.

Mmh I thought it isn't necessary, because the portal you leave plays the sound while leaving ? However, I gave a sound to all portals now.

You have a lot of light sources, although it's largely an open area which could have a natural light source like a sun. Remember: more is less, you could remove some light sources and/or light textures and make some radiuses bigger.

Yes, you may be right here, but it was a kind of compromise here. It was also my intention to give a natural light to the open scenes. When I met goku online, he reminded me, that the textures where looking very flat in the outside areas and the shadows were not to see. So we tried big scaled lights and smaller ones. One light with a huge radius wasn't able to work like a sun. It was clear that I have to make use of many lights. With the sun of the skybox in my head, I set the lights in order to through "realistic" (semi realistic :D ) shadows on the ground. That was very difficult and took much time, especially because of the long render processes and I had to experiment with the radius for each light. The result isn't perfect, but I am contended with it. It works and the textures look better than before.

- See printscreen: small area, but lots of different lights and different colors. Looks kinda chaotic.

Aehm, yes maybe, but I have a concept behind it. Outside I tried to follow the lightcolour of the skyboxed sun. So all lightsources have one colour there, exceptional the lamps from buildings and the teleports, which can have an own colour. Inside areas against this, have different lightsources like screens, lamps, buttons and so on and so forth. Big lamps dominate with light and colour, smaller lightsources make smal lights in their setting (very smal radius).
I don't want to through into disarray all these works and ideas, but I'm grateful for your hints. I'll pick up them for my next work and I'm willing to change and develop my mind to this special topic.
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

raiden

Postby Architect » 11 Feb 2012, 16:39

please use something besides imageshack

minus.com is better
http://min.us/mvbEvYR#1o

like this
Architect

Postby qreeves » 11 Feb 2012, 20:42

raiden {l Wrote}:
You have a lot of light sources, although it's largely an open area which could have a natural light source like a sun. Remember: more is less, you could remove some light sources and/or light textures and make some radiuses bigger.

Yes, you may be right here, but it was a kind of compromise here. It was also my intention to give a natural light to the open scenes. When I met goku online, he reminded me, that the textures where looking very flat in the outside areas and the shadows were not to see. So we tried big scaled lights and smaller ones. One light with a huge radius wasn't able to work like a sun. It was clear that I have to make use of many lights. With the sun of the skybox in my head, I set the lights in order to through "realistic" (semi realistic :D ) shadows on the ground. That was very difficult and took much time, especially because of the long render processes and I had to experiment with the radius for each light. The result isn't perfect, but I am contended with it. It works and the textures look better than before.

Try the "sunlight" entity, you can make multiple rays coming from the skybox.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby raiden » 13 Feb 2012, 21:40

Ah well I tried it out, thank you. This is an important addition to my editor knowledge.
It's a question of personaly tastes know, I think. I found out, that my work with many different small lights wasn't completely wrong. The light isn't realy natural, but the textures benifit from the lights. They become more a three-dimensional look and the maps mood becomes more intense. With the sunlight entity against this, everything looks a little bit more sober. I like the old version a way more. So I will obtain it. Smaler adjustments to the lights could still follow, but no groundbreaking ones.
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

raiden

Postby Ulukai » 21 Feb 2012, 09:02

I have set up a server, it will be online most of the time and is called "The Killing Ground". I have put Sorn 1.3.1 in the maprotation, people can vote on it to try it out.
Ulukai

Postby raiden » 21 Feb 2012, 21:34

Hey that's nice Ulukai, thank you - maybe we'll see us there :).
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

raiden

Postby raiden » 09 Mar 2012, 13:45

1.3.2 small additions:
- added grass to the destructed ground
- changed some lights, no groundbreaking changes

I work on a new map now, so please remind me here, if you find something strange! I'll take a look to this thread from time to time.

PS: If I have the time, I will rearrange the lighting a bit to get a better framerate for some people. I've planed that, but can't say when I'll have the time. Hope will never die. :|
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

raiden

Postby arand » 11 Aug 2012, 17:01

I noticed an issue with the clipping from the rocket chamber, you're able to move too far up, so you'll see through the top of the chamber:
arand

Postby ballist1c » 11 Aug 2012, 17:30

I like this map! It's good, should be in 1.3 release.

May I ask what you are thinking of working on next?
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Postby 4rson » 11 Aug 2012, 19:23

I hadn't seen this map before, but it is very nice. Is there any chance of seeing it in the next release? I suppose there might be some framerate issues on slower computers, but it has been very attractively textured and plays nicely in insta.
4rson

Postby arand » 11 Aug 2012, 19:44

Quin noted that this map is considered for inclusion bu that "it has some aesthetic and performance issues".

He said he migh have a second look and give some feedback on what would need to be changed.

I do agree that this one is a very nice map, one of my favourites, in fact :)
arand

Postby 4rson » 11 Aug 2012, 20:36

It is now available on the frogteam3 server.
4rson