Renegade X SDK can have Linux port?

Renegade X SDK can have Linux port?

Postby MajorLunaC » 15 May 2015, 21:49

For background info, Renegade X is an Unreal Engine 3 game (the free UDK version I'm guessing considering it's a free game), as a high-end graphics remake of Command and Conquer: Renegade.

I was wondering, theoretically, now that Renegade X released their game's source code ( SDK @ http://renegade-x.com/download.php ), can the game be ported to Linux, since UE3 is Linux-compatible already and UDK runs well in Wine?
MajorLunaC

Re: Renegade X SDK can have Linux port?

Postby Julius » 17 May 2015, 10:03

As far as I know ue3 Linux support is a mess and nothing is publicly available. More realistic to try to port the code to UE4 and have a Linux port directly. But that will be a lot of work I think.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby MajorLunaC » 18 May 2015, 16:05

Now that I think of it, they never did release Unreal 3 for Linux, as they promised they would, and the game mostly flopped from what I heard. And I can't really recall any UE3 Linux games. I didn't know even the general support for Linux was shoddy.

I have asked if they were considering porting everything to UE4, and they said it's more trouble than it's worth, but I guess anyone's free to try now that all the game source is released.

Thanks for the info!
MajorLunaC

Postby rogerdv » 18 May 2015, 16:30

Also, remember that UE games can not be released under GPL like licenses. you can port, but you cant provide the source code.
rogerdv