Shameless self-promotion, or, How I've spent my time

Shameless self-promotion, or, How I've spent my time

Postby dusted » 17 Mar 2015, 14:23

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've been active here at all, I hope everyone is doing great with their projects! :)
Recently (read; way too long) my work have not been on any games or game-engines, but on a piece of OpenSource hardware (well, the hardware was easy to make, I spent most time on the software for it).
And I thought that since you're a bunch of FOSS interested people, there may be someone in here who'd find it interesting, so without further ado, I present my project.

The FinalKey
It is a dedicated-hardware password manager with encryption, designed to be very easy to use, compatible with all platforms and all existing software, without requiring extra drivers or special software installed on the computer. (This is not entirely true on Windows, where a driver is needed).
The device is recognized as a keyboard, so it "types" in credentials, no copy-paste or relying on plugins.
It requires physical access in the form of a button that needs to be pressed on the device itself, to make it do anything, this way, it can not be remotely brute-forced by an attacker, and even after it has been un-locked, no account details can be leaked from the device.
It isolates the encrypted password-database on a seperate chip, and the database can not be read by the PC, only the device itself has that access, and will only access the specific information requested by the user, leaving at least more security in the case of a compromised system than any other password manager (except for the mooltipass which is similar in some ways).
There was a lot of focus on making the device paranoidly secure, anything that will actually help has been done, anything that may give a false impression of security has been skipped.
But the main focus has been on usability, logins take about a second if you know where you want to login.
Here is a video of using it to log on to skype.

youtu.be/EYTkR5THJuY

I made the device because I have a lot of accounts everywhere, and I was tired of always forgetting-and-resetting them, or using some standard password 99% of places, the way I have designed it to work is exactly how I wanted a passowrd manager to be.

I have build-instructions under "tech" for those who wish to create their own, and the firmware can be downloaded and inspected, it's GPLv3.

So, if it sounds interesting, have a look at http://finalkey.net/
I'd love to hear what people think, what could be made more clear, what could be done differently, what questions people have?

Cheers,
dusted

Re: Shameless self-promotion, or, How I've spent my time

Postby charlie » 18 Mar 2015, 11:25

A great idea. This is a sure fire success for kickstarter (or equivalent site).
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby dusted » 18 Mar 2015, 21:32

Hi Charlie, thank you for the kind words! :)
dusted

Postby KIAaze » 19 Apr 2015, 20:12

Very interesting.
But if it is seen as keyboard, could a usual keylogger still intercept the passwords "typed" by the device?
If that is the only weakness, it's pretty good indeed.
KIAaze