Help to make this SDL game work

Help to make this SDL game work

Postby fabiin » 20 Jan 2015, 21:58

Hello,

I would like to play a game named Dstroy where GPL sources can be found here: [url]http: //narroin.free.fr/dstroy/[/url]

It was developed in 2009 using SDL 1.2 (not by me). At that time, I success to build and play it without worry.
I want to re-compile it again today, but a bug occurs, the keyboard does not respond in the game except the "escape" key that allow to leave the game.

Everything else seems to work (video, sound, etc ...)

I think the problem concern SDL, my hypothesis is that the "keyboard" working with an older version of the library, but not with the 1.2.15 I use to compile today. (version distributed by Ubuntu 14.04)
I also tried to build it on Mac OS X, the same problem occurs.

Is a game developer can take a look and see if there is a quick fix?

thank you

Fabien

PS: The game is very easy to compile, linux and mac must use the Makefile.linux some dependencies are required (SDL_mixer, SDL_net, libsmpeg ...)
make -f Makefile.linux all
For data, you should download the archive for win32 and copy the contents of dstroydata file in / usr / local / share / games / DStroy (or copy the folder in the source and do a make install, but it copies files everywhere, and it is mismanaging rights)
fabiin

Re: Help to make this SDL game work

Postby mdtrooper » 10 Feb 2015, 17:18

is the code in any repository? It is more easy to see the problem.
And I have a Patreon in https://www.patreon.com/migueldedios.
mdtrooper

Postby Akien » 10 Feb 2015, 17:32

mdtrooper {l Wrote}:is the code in any repository? It is more easy to see the problem.

There's a source archive here: http://narroin.free.fr/dstroy/res/dstro ... 090214.zip
But I did not find a VCS repo for it.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby fabiin » 10 Feb 2015, 21:00

Hi,

No, there is no repo anywhere, just the archive indicated by Akien.

Recently, i've find that the problem may not be SDL related. The problem is when the game load from a settings file the "commands" (key<>actions mapping).
Key_code loaded from the file are enormous integers which do never match with SDL key code.
The code which load command file pass data to a endianConvert method.
A friend do a good suggestion : The game isn't made to work on 64bits.

I've tried to build it for 32 bit, but havn't success because I miss 32bit dev lib on my system and i don't know how to install it in parallel.
fabiin

Postby c_xong » 11 Feb 2015, 01:07

If any developers are free then this is a good project to revive; according to http://osgameclones.com/ there aren't many good bomberman clones. The easiest way to fix this would be to do a proper 64-bit port; I've done this kind of thing before and it's not difficult.

By the way, since Dstroy is open source (requires non-free assets), this thread doesn't have to be in off-topic section.
c_xong

Postby Akien » 12 Feb 2015, 23:48

I managed to build dstroy in a 32bit chroot, but then it wouldn't display anything when started, I guess there is something wrong with the intro video or something. I tried the Win32 version in wine, the game is like in 320x240 :-D

It's true that they are hardly any maintained Bomberman clones out there. I might have a go at developing one in Godot :-)
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien