[DONE] OD Windows binaries

Re: [DONE] OD Windows binaries

Postby Danimal » 02 Feb 2014, 21:55

Win 7, 64 as well; i throws an error: Its missing sfml-audio-2.dll
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 02 Feb 2014, 22:06

Danimal : sfml-audio-2.dll is in the main dir , no idea what's wrong .. .
http://www.sfml-dev.org/download/sfml/2.1
Bertram : The source dependencies for Expact parser is here :

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/crayzedsgui/cegui-deps-0.8.x-src.zip

For sure we should have the dll of Expact Parser, also static linking for CEGUI on windows is not fully supported ( (c) IRC #CEGUI )
Looks like you missed the dlll when packaging that ...
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Elvano » 04 Feb 2014, 11:58

@Bertram: If you need someone to test this on winXP, I can do it. I haven't upgraded my windows since I switched to Linux.
You'll have to send me a valid link, though =p
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Bertram » 04 Feb 2014, 13:46

Hi Elvano :)

(@admins: Thanks for the quick restore of the forums.)

A few messages have been deleted in thread but here is the latest link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hl267zdy96ood ... -02-03.zip

- The CEGUIExpat.dll was added.
- There are two exes: OpenDungeons.exe (Win Vista/7/8) and OpenDungeons_XP.exe (Should work on every Oses)

If you can try the XP version and if someone else can try the XP one on Win 7 or even 8, too, I'll remove the other binary.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 04 Feb 2014, 15:27

IT WORKS!! it has all the problems you said, but IT WORKS!!
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 04 Feb 2014, 16:06

Great! :)

What exe did you try and on what windows version? (Still Win 7?)
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 04 Feb 2014, 19:03

Win 7, 64, Both .exe work

*Edit*
please include your new theme next, also everything is a mess inside the game, no textures (in many places), strange walls, camera controls doenst work, middle mouse button crash it, restarting new game crash it..., minimap not working.
Thankfully at least those are problems that can be fixed with time.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Elvano » 04 Feb 2014, 21:29

Bertram,

I was able to succesfully test the Windows XP version (on windows xp)
I do seem to get an error when trying to open the map editor. Perhaps we do not have a working version yet (and that item should then be disabled from the menu).
Also the game does seem to crash when I select 'Quit' from the menu.
However neither of those issues are lib related.

Thank you, you've done a great job!
You're really helped the project a great deal and we'll be able to take advantage of the fruits of your labor for a long while still.
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby paul424 » 04 Feb 2014, 23:49

middle mouse button crash it

I didn't know about that ...
Well <QuickCheck> , on Linux it doesn't crash ... you can paste your bugs to .... well I cannot connect to http://redmine.daemonrage.net/projects/opendungeons :!: :!: :!:
Bertram : Why do you upload another file the same name and date ? :\ 02-03 ? ( Is it to trick malicious forces ? ;) )

Modelers : now we would be flooded with the 3d models to be used in the game , as we have the running binary , right ?
Could someone ring the bell for Scorpio , what have been done , he also asked for that .
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 04 Feb 2014, 23:58

Thanks for the tests guys :)

Let's use the XP binary from now on.

Danimal {l Wrote}:please include your new theme next,

To make my life of poor coder easier, I'm still asking whether it could be possible to:
- Move the 'media' folder and its content to git. Note that the media source can remain in SVN. The art/code files separation is making things overly tedious. Plus, there is something like 30Mb overall to add. Which is not much for today's repos.
- Add the NST postifx files in git as well. Overall, would simplify the life of people willing to test.
--> I'll be honest: The wiki tells people to start the game and look at what files it is complaining and copy the missing file each time. I can't believe anyone would want to start the game something like 35 times to get all the files prepared. We need them there and ready to go.
- Move the licenses folder, or at least copy it, to git, so that the licensing remain correct.

If we can get along with this, it would much easier to make commits adapting the GUI, for instance, without having to separate the data commits and the code commits each time.
After all, it's a game, not just an engine, right?

Elvano {l Wrote}:I do seem to get an error when trying to open the map editor. Perhaps we do not have a working version yet (and that item should then be disabled from the menu).
However neither of those issues are lib related.

The Map Editor **should** (I said should ;}) be working if it's the first and only thing you're starting after running the game. For instance, clicking on 'New Game', then escape, then 'Map Editor' doesn't work because the game try to load things that are already loaded. If it's not the case, could you show me the error?

Danimal {l Wrote}:also everything is a mess inside the game, no textures (in many places), strange walls, camera controls doenst work, middle mouse button crash it, restarting new game crash it..., minimap not working.

Elvano {l Wrote}:Also the game does seem to crash when I select 'Quit' from the menu.

Yep, all those things should be fixed before a new release IMHO, or you'll be crushed by your fans. :lol: What is the most urgent to me are the camera controls, though.
As for the no textures problem, I wondered whether if you guys can help with it, for instance, by replacing cg scripts (In models, I guess)? Does someone know how to do that?

I'll have a go at migrating the files format to cegui layout version 4, and make a new zip with the new theme. ;)

Elvano {l Wrote}:Thank you, you've done a great job!
You're really helped the project a great deal and we'll be able to take advantage of the fruits of your labor for a long while still.

You're welcome. :) I do hope we can also deal together with Paul with the most hurting problems so you can have a nice new release that permits to actually focus on what's next.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 05 Feb 2014, 00:01

Yeah it's all funny you have to discover things I know by memory , naah that shouldn't happen for thousands of new users ... But now it is as it is ... I can do some work-around for the camera .... Well it also depends how many times you want to apply our >> fixes << and rebuild the Windows version , Bertram /

EDIT : OK fixed the camera movement, checkout development branch
EDIT2: I personally hate >>Installers << , it always made me worry that it would put some crap with the install ...
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby dimproject » 05 Feb 2014, 00:03

Win 8.1, 64, Both .exe work

Game crash when I select 'Quit' from the menu
with message (because of pthreadVC2.dll).
dimproject

Postby Bertram » 05 Feb 2014, 00:08

Thanks for the report dimproject :)

paul424 {l Wrote}:Well it also depends how many times you want to apply our >> fixes << and rebuild the Windows version , Bertram

Building OD is rather easy now so I don't mind rebuilding as many times as it is needed if the overall experience of the next release can improve. :)
The next zip should be in shape for me to start scripting the installer, btw.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 05 Feb 2014, 01:17

Hi again,

Here is a new zip:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfhjbc5q67g4e ... -02-05.zip
Changes:
- Only one exe that should run everywhere, thanks to everyone's feedback.
- New main menu GUI
- Removed the useless level_git folder but copied the correct level into levels/
- Added licenses and CREDITS + credits for the new GUI files.

See my repository for the corresponding commits: (I will need a review if you want me to merge them back)
https://github.com/Bertram25/OpenDungeo ... evelopment

Have fun!
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 05 Feb 2014, 10:51

Its really nice to have everything rolling again, another meeting of designer dudes should be had again; Rez, Elvano?
Thanks a lot Bertram for your effort.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 05 Feb 2014, 12:02

Thanks Danimal, :)

The only point I would raise is whether one of you guys can upgrade the models to make them work and being textured?

Also, while on it, it seems the windows download link on the front page latest news leads to a non-working version of OpenDungeons.
Plus, it's in tar.gz, which is a weird format for windows. Can someone update it to the latest format? (It should stay as a zip, IMO).

Next week, I'll add the installer script, and start working on the OD SDK + How to.

paul424 {l Wrote}:EDIT : OK fixed the camera movement, checkout development branch

Great, I'll check it out! :)
EDIT: Err, I saw no new commits there. Did you push them?

paul424 {l Wrote}:EDIT2: I personally hate >>Installers << , it always made me worry that it would put some crap with the install ...

On windows, it's pretty common. It's just like saying you hate packages on linux, right?
Are you worrying about the fact I would add crap in the installer I will make? (It will simply be the zip automatically installed and maybe a shortcut + uninstaller.)

Ah, this is making me think: The app seems to be lacking an icon in the media files. I'll check this out if nobody else does.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 05 Feb 2014, 12:13

paul424 {l Wrote}:Bertram : Why do you upload another file the same name and date ? :\ 02-03 ? ( Is it to trick malicious forces ? ;) )

Ah, I just saw that. I just can't check atm but I do think I added a 02-03 and a 02-04, but if it wasn't the case, sorry. :)
Anyway, the right one is the latest link now. Enjoy!
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 06 Feb 2014, 12:19

EDIT : Now it's really commited : The fixture of MiniMap and Camera movement .

Naah : Your makefile or CMake scripts were broken /bin/sh: --std=c++11: command not found
Hmm strange ... anyway I just restored what I have had in previous commits : CMakeList.txt and CMakeCache.txt ... ahh I love the lack of shoutbox , our admins knows the best what's good for us !
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 06 Feb 2014, 14:14

EDIT : Now it's really commited : The fixture of MiniMap and Camera movement .

Ok, I'll have a go at adding this asap. Thanks!

Ah, while on it, once you've committed and not yet pushed, to avoid merge commits like this:
--> Merge remote-tracking branch 'origin/development' into development

You should do a: git pull --rebase
This will put your commits on top of the history of your now up-to-date local repository.
Then pushing will be painless and avoid merge commits.

Naah : Your makefile or CMake scripts were broken /bin/sh: --std=c++11: command not found
Hmm strange ... anyway I just restored what I have had in previous commits : CMakeList.txt and CMakeCache.txt

Hmm, weird, my patch fixed the cmake invocation for me. Can you tell me where you suspect it is broken?
Normally -std=c++11 (note that there is only one hyphen) is added when the compiler is gcc according to the file.
What is your compiler version?

ahh I love the lack of shoutbox , our admins knows the best what's good for us !
:!: :eew: ?
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 07 Feb 2014, 13:44

it might be that the merge ripped through the Makefile messing it .
Please provide your packages in zip format in feature , that the SF.net acknowledge it as packages for Windows .
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 07 Feb 2014, 14:41

Please provide your packages in zip format in feature , that the SF.net acknowledge it as packages for Windows .

I don't mind as i already am. :) If everyone is ok about it, I won't make an installer then.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 07 Feb 2014, 22:19

whats your next priority in the TODO? i guess the texture problem?
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 08 Feb 2014, 11:07

My TODO list is the following:
- Make a new zip with latest Paul's improvements.
- Create the OD SDK + How to.
- Have a go at zeroing the compilation warnings on MSVC and gcc (on linux) so it will be much easier to track new ones.

In term of gameplay, once the camera is fixed, the next main things to do will be, IMHO:
- Textures on creatures.
- Improve the in game GUI (I'd like to have a try on it).
- Problem with culling (hidden surface removal If I understood correctly) pointed out by Paul.
(Maybe it's just about enabling it by default?)
- Fix the game reloading resources already loaded when quitting new game and clicking on map editor, for instance.
- Fix crash leaving the game.
- Problem with creatures dying instantly when fighting.
- Remove debug output by default and toogle it with a key?
- Maybe add a 'loading' text when the creatures are being loaded so that the player knows what's happening.

I should stop here for now, right? :)

EDIT: Ah, and if you could clearly vote on whether we can merge media files in the git repo, it would help me for what's next. (Note that it's clear the media source should remain in SVN.)
EDIT2: With latest improvements from Paul, the minimap is working! But sometimes the camera is inverted to me. Eg: When I push left it goes right, when I push up it goes down.
The camera zoom, tilting and rotation is still broken, btw. Note also that the minimap is displayed with north always on top, which means pushing left doesn't go left on the minimap, for instance.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 08 Feb 2014, 11:42

The camera zoom, tilting and rotation is still broken

Could you exaggerate more on this ?
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 08 Feb 2014, 12:00

Hi paul, :)

Sure:
Basically, I'm using the home, end, page up and page down keys to trigger those.
When I'm pushing PageUp for instance, the camera moves slightly closer but in a fixed zoom level: It zooms slightly and stops as is.
When I release the key, the camera view goes back to what it previously was. All the keys are behaving in a similar way.
This means I can't actually rotate, tilt or zoom and can only see the creatures from a top view.

I hoe it helped you. I didn't try on linux yet, though.
Bertram
VT Moderator