Postby Danimal » 03 Nov 2014, 17:29

Whoa, such a burst of activity on github and so many things to play with :D
Danimal
OD Moderator

Re: [DONE] OD Windows binaries

Postby Danimal » 03 Nov 2014, 18:39

There are a few bugs i can see,

misaligned beds -> https://github.com/OpenDungeons/OpenDungeons/issues/243
Some tiles are really shiny (like gold or bronze) while others dont, i think i read it on github about it being a trial.
The whole fly changes color when over a claimed tile, an its semi transparent
Attachments
OpenDungeons 2014-11-03 18-22-03-886.png
OpenDungeons 2014-11-03 18-34-31-594.png
OpenDungeons 2014-11-03 18-21-32-038.png
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby eugeneloza » 03 Nov 2014, 22:46

Hmm... encountered an invulnerable enemy kobold. All the minions smash it together for several minutes and it just stands still...
Wow, they killed it... it was about 5 minutes of smashing against it...

(UPD) The hornets change their color depending on the tile they are on. Are they chameleons?
eugeneloza

Postby hwoarangmy » 03 Nov 2014, 23:12

eugeneloza {l Wrote}:Hmm... encountered an invulnerable enemy kobold. All the minions smash it together for several minutes and it just stands still...
Creatures (in particular Kobolds increase levels too fast at the moment). While increasing, they increase defense so, if you attack with basic units, they might have hard time trying to kill it (because Kobolds defense is higher than attacker's strength).
hwoarangmy

Postby eugeneloza » 03 Nov 2014, 23:15

Got it... Now having bad times fighting enemy hornets with slow units... they just fly around (running away) and take no damage.

(UPD) some 'neutral' creatures are idle and would not attack neither be attacked by my units. Only cannon traps seldomly kill them. Especially seen at OD in dungeon siege map.

(UPD) some beds seem to come 'over' others. Maybe over a perished creature's bed.
eugeneloza

Postby hwoarangmy » 04 Nov 2014, 00:10

eugeneloza {l Wrote}:Got it... Now having bad times fighting enemy hornets with slow units... they just fly around (running away) and take no damage.
Yes, it's hard to stop a fast unit fleeing. I guess it will be easier when we will have range units.

eugeneloza {l Wrote}:(UPD) some 'neutral' creatures are idle and would not attack neither be attacked by my units. Only cannon traps seldomly kill them. Especially seen at OD in dungeon siege map.
Strange, I've never seen that. Could you middle clic on 1 unattacked unit to tell its seat id ?

eugeneloza {l Wrote}:(UPD) some beds seem to come 'over' others. Maybe over a perished creature's bed.
Perished creature bed disappears when a its owner dies. But it is probably linked to the beds not being placed at the right place. Depending on their size, they might end up one on each other or even outside the dormitory ^^

Thanks for your feedback anyway :)
hwoarangmy

Postby Danimal » 04 Nov 2014, 00:27

Somewhat refined trial to balance creatures/weapons, this is harder than i expected :p
Bertram you have experience from valiria tear, any tips?
Attachments
config.zip
(3.45 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby eugeneloza » 04 Nov 2014, 06:45

Strange, I've never seen that. Could you middle clic on 1 unattacked unit to tell its seat id ?

This situation is easily reproducable. These are always creatures in the same places of 'Stonekeep Siege':
Knight30 at 46 42 0
Tentacle90 at 73 23 0
Tentacle94 at 75 12 0
and maybe Tentacle98 at 72 5 0 / I haven't seen it when I played
***** actually Tentacles may be stuck because their water speed =0 and they are placed in water. But as for others there are no obvious reasons...
Dragon92 at 98 25 0
When I played this map yesterday all other three dragons (dragon90, dragon93, dragon91) in the area were stuck while at the beginning of the game they moved.
Each listed creature has Seat Id 5 as others do.

(UPD) one more problem I encountered, the kobolds do not mine the walls if it takes moving through the water. (see scr4.jpg) /// Actually diagonal tiles in OD are unminable for lava reasons...
Attachments
scr4.jpg
scr3.jpg
scr2.jpg
scr1.jpg
eugeneloza

Postby Danimal » 04 Nov 2014, 11:51

i fixed the tentacles with my last upload, the gold wasnt really intended to be fully mined, "Seat Id 5" is for feral creatures, i dont know why but kobolds had water speed 0, i cant say about the others errors...
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 04 Nov 2014, 12:58

Hey, :)

Balancing:
Bertram you have experience from valiria tear, any tips?

According to the feedback I had for the version 1.0, it seems not that much. ;) (And I'll do the same in a few weeks, eh eh.)
More seriously, I'd say that should stick to a reference creature that fits your expectation and work around it for other creatures when balancing.
Doing the actual stuff will tell you more. What problems have you got while making tests about that?

the gold wasnt really intended to be fully mined

Hmm, the Gold behind water should be diggable IMHO. What do you think? I'm not speaking about lava of course, at least not until we have bridges. ;)

Note that I've just made a few patches improving the behaviour of creatures in regards of path-finding and job efficiency by making them "more aware"
of what is within sight radius without restriction when it comes about common actions not linked to enemy entities.
I think a new build should be made once:
- The bed bug is fixed.
- The pathfinding improvement is merged
- And maybe a few more tweaks? (Like fixing the Hornet)

Since we're closer to release, I think the rolling release binaries should appear more often now.

@Danimal: Also, should I merge the changes proposed in your zip file, or maybe do you want to create your first PR? ;)

@eugeneloza, @hwoarangmy: About the feral creatures not attacking. I've got no clues, so far.
There is also the bug where Kobolds claim walls in a very random order as @akien reported.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 04 Nov 2014, 14:26

its just a first version, you can merge, im sure you will see some creatures taking blows and no damage :p
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby BioHazardX » 04 Nov 2014, 18:14

Hey all,

I tested the game for an half-hour and, well......as a beginner, I don't know what I have to do in this game. Or better, I don't know some controls, so I'm here to ask you if you could add in the game an in-game window where, if you press a key like "F1", it displays all the comands and their functions in the game (like in Valyria Tear)
Problems that I have are: 1) when I click on a monster, you can carry and move it but I don't know how to place it in the groud where I want (I tried to click it but it doesn't work); 2) I don't know how to create a new room in an empty space.... :(

My feedback as a beginner (I know it's still an alpha):
- The graphical terrain selector, it looks like a 3d dark pillar without the bottom and......I don't like it. It's not very evident and I'd prefer a simply but nice 2d selector....... like the one in Battle for Wesnoth;
- You should fix the position of the goblin workers when they are digging; they are too centered from the terrain and you can see that they are far and don't touch the blocks with their pickaxe. This could be fixed just move them nearer to the block a little......
- The icons of the rooms/traps/creatures etc. are great, but you should also add a text name for them (with a short description) that appears after 0.5 or 1 second after moving the cursor on them, it's helpful for beginners like me to recognise their function in the game.....

Not so important, but I don't really like the 3d model for the core, and it would be nice if you create a simply "vortex/spiral" animation for the portals.

And I also want skeleton warriors!!!!1111!!!! ^^

Thanks.
SURVIVAL STRATEGY!
BioHazardX

Postby Bertram » 04 Nov 2014, 18:37

Hey Bio, :D

It's cool to have you around. :)

I tested the game for an half-hour and, well......as a beginner, I don't know what I have to do in this game. Or better, I don't know some controls, so I'm here to ask you if you could add in the game an in-game window where, if you press a key like "F1", it displays all the comands and their functions in the game (like in Valyria Tear)
Problems that I have are: 1) when I click on a monster, you can carry and move it but I don't know how to place it in the groud where I want (I tried to click it but it doesn't work); 2) I don't know how to create a new room in an empty space.... :(

You are definitely right, some F1/Tutorial is missing and we should deal with this somehow. I've definitely added a F1 help window issue : https://github.com/OpenDungeons/OpenDungeons/issues/283

Now, you must know that you play as an Evil Force trying to bring your enemies on their knees. Your creatures are spawning through portals and your "workers" through a temple (the thing with the orange sphere in the middle). Your goal is thus usually to destroy other's portals and temples.
Now, how do you do that:
You can move the camera using the arrow keys, or the usual WASD, rotate the camera with Q and E and move lower/higher using the mouse wheel.
you can select your creature either by left-clicking on them, or by clicking on the creature's buttons. (The one on the left is for workers, the one on the right is for fighters.)

Note that workers will claim tiles. This means their role is to "spread" your evil influence like a plague throughout the level using this nasty way.
You'll then be able to build rooms and traps only on your own claimed tiles, or the ones of your allies (but let's speak of that later.)

You can deposit your worker creatures using a right click on any claimed tiles and on unclaimed dirt or rock. (But not on water or lava).
You can deposit fighters only on claimed tiles.
Thus one goal is to claim enough tiles to get near your opponent and crush him.
Your workers can also dig dirt (but not rocks), gold tiles and your own fortified walls, while your opponent's creatures cannot break your fortified walls while they are surrounded
by at least one of your claimed tiles.
To select/unselect a tile to be dug, left-click on it. The marked tile will become yellow.

As for the different rooms in order of appearance from left to right: (Note that when you click on a room, it's name and cost appears next to your tile selector)
(Boulder icon): Used to destroy a room and get half its price back.
Treasury: Used to store gold. The first tile is free of charge. (On many levels, you start with a few ones already placed)
Dormitory: Used to let your creature rest a bit. Useful if you want them to fight.
Hatchery: Used to let your creature eat. Same.
Training Hall: Used to make your creatures train and become stronger, but only up to level 10/30.
Forge: Used to make Golbin appears. And later to forge equipment.
Library: Used to make certain creatures appear one day. ;) (IIRC warlocks?)

Have fun!
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 04 Nov 2014, 18:48

- The graphical terrain selector, it looks like a 3d dark pillar without the bottom and......I don't like it. It's not very evident and I'd prefer a simply but nice 2d selector....... like the one in Battle for Wesnoth;

We'll have think about it, while we'd also like to readd the famous evil Keeper hand. ;)

- You should fix the position of the goblin workers when they are digging; they are too centered from the terrain and you can see that they are far and don't touch the blocks with their pickaxe.This could be fixed just move them nearer to the block a little......

The Kobolds are suffering a few discrepancies indeed:
- Their animation is too slow compared to their actual speed.
- The digging sound is not very well in sync with their pickaxe hits.
AFAIK, Danimal wanted to redo them sooner or later, so I guess it will fall in that same bag.

- The icons of the rooms/traps/creatures etc. are great, but you should also add a text name for them (with a short description) that appears after 0.5 or 1 second after moving the cursor on them, it's helpful for beginners like me to recognise their function in the game.....

Yeah, it's an existing issue (not that simple to fix for technical reasons) and we'll get around it for 0.5.0, IMHO.

Not so important, but I don't really like the 3d model for the core, and it would be nice if you create a simply "vortex/spiral" animation for the portals.

Same here, I'm sure Danimal has got plans for them. ;)

About the skeleton, well, maybe one day, mwahahaha. ;)

Regards.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby eugeneloza » 04 Nov 2014, 18:53

OD has a horrible bug!!! After few hours playing I try to navigate with WASD everywhere, including this forum!!! :o :o :o
P.S. Never knew Google Earth also navigates with WASD :)

And if seriously... I think a good tutorial (tutorial map with pop-up 'quests' explaining game mechanics and control) would do it much better than a simple F1 text help.
eugeneloza

Postby Danimal » 04 Nov 2014, 23:57

There is a skeleton model due to come someday this millemiun, its just im too spread...
By the way, hi BioHazardX!

Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 05 Nov 2014, 09:16

This skeleton looks really nice !!

eugeneloza {l Wrote}:I think a good tutorial (tutorial map with pop-up 'quests' explaining game mechanics and control) would do it much better than a simple F1 text help.
Yes but technically, that's not the same at all. Allowing tutorials would imply to have an almost finished game (where we can enable/disable what we want and have events). At this time, many things are still lacking. On the other hand, a F1 help text is easy :)
hwoarangmy

Postby eugeneloza » 05 Nov 2014, 10:52

hwoarangmy {l Wrote}:On the other hand, a F1 help text is easy :)

Actually, not as easy as it seems. If it requires pictures, maybe a PDF/HTML would do it easier (even called from inside the game, why not)?
The tutorial requires two things: events (I see you have these already implemented in quests/goals) and message display (also implemented in mouse middle click).
So everything is needed to make a tutorial draft is create tutorial-specific events/script, create tutorial specific boolean array (to store which tutorial events have fired), and keep parenting of tutorial events (i.e. after grabbing a creature you need to put it somewhere) - the 'tutorial event prerequisite / timeout'. It may happen that making a tutorial would be easier than adjusting message display to host images. However, I do understand that it may be engine-specific and talk about this one from 'pascal-programmer' point of view..
eugeneloza

Postby Bertram » 05 Nov 2014, 12:00

Hey eugeneloza,

eugeneloza {l Wrote}:Actually, not as easy as it seems. If it requires pictures, maybe a PDF/HTML would do it easier (even called from inside the game, why not)?

A pdf or a wiki page may be a even better solution indeed. Adding the minimal F1 help windows doesn't remove the need from a online game manual and a in-game tutorial, IMHO.
But at least the F1 key can be very quickly added and thus added before the next actual release, which is hopefully close now. :)

eugeneloza {l Wrote}:The tutorial requires two things: events (I see you have these already implemented in quests/goals) and message display (also implemented in mouse middle click).
So everything is needed to make a tutorial draft is create tutorial-specific events/script, create tutorial specific boolean array (to store which tutorial events have fired), and keep parenting of tutorial events (i.e. after grabbing a creature you need to put it somewhere) - the 'tutorial event prerequisite / timeout'. It may happen that making a tutorial would be easier than adjusting message display to host images. However, I do understand that it may be engine-specific and talk about this one from 'pascal-programmer' point of view..

To be clear and IMHO, the fact you're using pascal as a programming language doesn't make your point of view less relevant as a programmer, just in case. :)
Secondly, yes, you're right, a few stones have been placed toward objectives/events in game already and it will likely be one of our next goal to add such things for the next release.
Now for the techical stuff, Oln has upgraded the Angel Script version (our scripting language) and we will have to start adding (reworking) the bindings between the game engine and the scripting one to permit scripting events. That's the ultimate goal, IMHO.
Also, atm, we have objectives/goals but they are for now harcoded to a fixed preset. While this is already nice to have, it might not be sufficient for actual tutorial making.

Now AS is in place, maybe we should open a new thread and discuss what we want to see in game as scripted events and discuss how we can make this happen. :)

In conclusion, scripted events is planned, but not for this release, thus explaining the choice of a F1 help. If you're unhappy, blame BioHazardX! :P

Danimal {l Wrote}:There is a skeleton model due to come someday this millemiun, its just im too spread...

Yeah, please take your time to finish whatever you are on. The skeleton is looking cool but can wait for the next release. ;) We've got time and you're already very active. :)

Let's finish that release version!! :D
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby eugeneloza » 05 Nov 2014, 12:27

And came up with another idea - it is important to add 'speak baloons' for monsters, i.e. if they are sleepy or hungry, angry or at critical health (like in original DK). And, maybe health bars during fighting.
eugeneloza

Postby hwoarangmy » 05 Nov 2014, 12:54

I would just add to what Bertram said that for now, AS is not tested and will probably take time to be set up (because it will need bindings to OD code). But it is what is planned to be used to handle events.
So, if we hardcode something to make tutorials, it will be a waste since it will have to be removed when we get AS working.
On the other hand, a popup with text/images showing when pressing F1 is easy to do, and can be re-used in some wiki/manual. So IMHO, it is the best solution for now.

eugeneloza {l Wrote}:And came up with another idea - it is important to add 'speak baloons' for monsters, i.e. if they are sleepy or hungry, angry or at critical health (like in original DK). And, maybe health bars during fighting.
Concerning health, it is planned :
https://github.com/OpenDungeons/OpenDungeons/issues/64

Concerning the others, it is not planned IMO but it can be interesting. We should see if we can find a way to display this kind of information without having hundreds of icons everywhere on the screen :)
hwoarangmy

Postby Danimal » 05 Nov 2014, 13:01

we actually spoke about that, the very skull flag will change when a creature "needs" hit rock bottom or its affected by something else like mood or running away, changing to a couple of forks, zeds, or scared face...
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby BioHazardX » 05 Nov 2014, 13:35

Bertram {l Wrote}:As for the different rooms in order of appearance from left to right: (Note that when you click on a room, it's name and cost appears next to your tile selector)
(Boulder icon): Used to destroy a room and get half its price back.
Treasury: Used to store gold. The first tile is free of charge. (On many levels, you start with a few ones already placed)
Dormitory: Used to let your creature rest a bit. Useful if you want them to fight.
Hatchery: Used to let your creature eat. Same.
Training Hall: Used to make your creatures train and become stronger, but only up to level 10/30.
Forge: Used to make Golbin appears. And later to forge equipment.
Library: Used to make certain creatures appear one day. ;) (IIRC warlocks?)

Have fun!

Thanks, I didn't realise to have much gold to build a room!

There is a skeleton model due to come someday this millemiun, its just im too spread...
By the way, hi BioHazardX!

Hi to you :D . The skeleton looks awesome, I hope to see it in the game before year 2099!! :shock:
SURVIVAL STRATEGY!
BioHazardX

Postby Danimal » 05 Nov 2014, 15:58

I cant find a place to add weapons to creatures at spawn time, was it implemented this time? (im not sure)
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 05 Nov 2014, 16:03

Danimal {l Wrote}:I cant find a place to add weapons to creatures at spawn time, was it implemented this time? (im not sure)
No. Do you mean that some creatures should come with a weapon ?
I thought it was the keeper duty to equip his minions throught the forge.
hwoarangmy