[DONE] OD Windows binaries

Re: [DONE] OD Windows binaries

Postby paul424 » 17 Feb 2014, 20:49

Naah I feel really bad redesigining everything after so much effort I put to get the data in format in which it is ...
What I need is to stream-event processing one output piped to seconds input ,
First would substitute the includes second would be the true, current parser.
That way we could have a parser which wouldn't care where the data come from ( e.g. network )

Also you could help making the mini-map rollable ( some image proc. lib required -- like ImageMagic ) or finish the Fpp mode ... or fix the models textures ... :)

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
  // Demonstrate incremental parsing, sometimes useful for network connections:
  {
    //std::cout << "Incremental SAX Parser:" << std:endl;

std::ifstream is(filepath.c_str());
    char buffer[64];

MySaxParser parser;
    do {
      is.read(buffer, 63);
      Glib::ustring input(buffer, is.gcount());

parser.parse_chunk(input);
    }
    while(is);

parser.finish_chunk_parsing();
  }
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 18 Feb 2014, 09:16

Hi paul424, :)

Naah I feel really bad redesigining everything after so much effort I put to get the data in format in which it is ...

Without speaking about the parser, I still not convinced by the current data structure. It's overly complicated for a simple map declaration:
I do think having 5 or 6 subfolders just to declare one map is clearly not relevant. But I guess this can be improved later...
Or again, is there something I don't know yet about how the game map should be handled?

What I need is to stream-event processing one output piped to seconds input ,
First would substitute the includes second would be the true, current parser.
That way we could have a parser which wouldn't care where the data come from ( e.g. network )

To be clear, I do think making a SAX parser the way you do is feasible, that's no problem, but maybe again I feel like you're putting the Gatling gun out to kill flies. ;)
Well, having a parser that can handle XML from-network is a fine feature, but is it worth it here? The closest use-case I can see where you want network data,
is when you need parse a list coming from a server.
If you wish to use that to parse a game map data while it's being downloaded, I'd rather say you need to wait for the whole set of files to be fully downloaded, why not check them
using a MD5/SHA for correctness, and then only you will parse them as a whole to get your game loaded.
Again, I think I'll need explanations. :)

Also you could help making the mini-map rollable ( some image proc. lib required -- like ImageMagic ) or finish the Fpp mode ... or fix the models textures ... :)

Thanks for sharing those points. It will definitely be useful to know where to point at. :)
Could you talk a bit more about the mini map and the FPP mode in the opendungeons TODO thread? (I don't even know what fpp means. XD)
This way, people will know what tasks should be dealt with.

As for me, I still have to merge my code commits, propose a change for the mouse wheel handling as discussed, and work on the code style.
(The OD-SDK mscv11 is still to be done, btw.)
We should also set up a release goal, so that we can both release the next version once we've reached it.
Please note also, that I'll be working on this project from time to time, mostly to refresh from my other projects. ;)

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 19 Feb 2014, 22:53

New zip available:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6z17lthiurscb ... -02-19.zip

Changelog:
- Main menu buttons stays on screen center, the logo doesn't get stretched anymore.
- The green text isn't shown anymore while playing and can be toggled with F11. Before that, It tells the player the game is still loading.
- You don't have to hold CTRL to zoom/unzoom when using the mouse wheel.
- Not visible, but: The code when using gcc doesn't trigger any warnings anymore, except for one, which is linked to a dependency.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 21 Feb 2014, 09:06

@Paul: Could you update the main website news download link? This one would be much more representative, IMO.

Thanks !
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 02 Mar 2014, 12:03

I wanted to close this thread.
Before that I wanted to move a few post from here somewhere else, cannot do that in admin Panel.
The new OD binary is almost uploaded.
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 02 Mar 2014, 14:08

Good idea!

You might to sum up the changelog of the new summary based on what has been said in this thread, for instance?

I guess we should also open a new roadmap thread?
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 08 Mar 2014, 00:10

Hi there, :)

New testing release with neat stuff added!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8dbyihlhoy73c ... -03-07.zip

For those who don't believe it, here is an image: ;)
od-2014-03-07.png

Changelog:
- Fixed camera movement and added (saner) bounds to it.
Commands:
WASD / arrows: move
Mouse wheel, Home, end: Go higher, go lower.
Page up, page down: look down/up.
A,E: rotate left/ right

- Fixed most of the material problems leading to untextured models.
Only the Orc and the Kobold are left to be fixed but I'll need Skorpio to do that for me as the error seems to come from the models files.
- Fixed the colorization of claimed tiles by applying more sane value to the texture pass.
- Renamed a few mesh files I forgot to rename. This leads to fixing the missing walls part on certain OS, but not on all, yet.
Again, I guess we'll have to see how to simplify the postfix implementation and before that the overall tileset, with Skorpio.

Behind the scene, the Mode managing, the Editor and the Game modes have seen significant simplification and cleaning.
As good consequences, this permitted me to understand and fix certain non-working game commands, but as for now the console
seems to still react a bit weirdly due to the gui code not being synced with latest changes. I'll take care of that.

The editor can permit you to drag/drop existing creatures now and, and you can place wall tiles wherever you want,
and can change the type using R.
What's left and the most urgent IMHO is to (re)add the possibility to save, and why not load an arbitrary amount of level
without crashing. Once that will be done, I guess you will be ready to start mapping your own evilish maps and have fun!

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 08 Mar 2014, 12:39

I cant even believe its the same project, thanks a lot Bertram
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 08 Mar 2014, 14:00

Not bad , dude , I know a little CG scripting , but I didn't give a damn to study diffrences in order to fix the game ....
Are the commits done to SVN or GIT ?
What is to EDITOR , there was a pallete ( from which you could choose tile type to draw ) but it was broken during the OGRE version upgrade.
EDIT : ahh seems you haven';t commited that , ... waiting impatiantly for you to do that ...
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 08 Mar 2014, 22:41

Awww, exe not working on W7, but i know its a WIP, so i will wait for next stable release
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 08 Mar 2014, 22:45

Thanks both. :)

The code commits are pshed to git already. The media files commits are pushed in the bertram_integration branch, but indeed, I didn't pushed anything yet in SVN and won't be able to do so before tomorrow evening at best.
So if you need the files right now, you can push them by taking them either from the zip or from my branch.

As for the Gui code, I'll have a look at it next (something like in few days), as there indeed several things to resync/clean there.

Could Skorpio have a look at fixing the material file/name in the Kobold and Orc models and re-export them?

Awww, exe not working on W7, but i know its a WIP, so i will wait for next stable release

Err, since I tested on Win7, it's weird. Can you tell what's wrong?

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 09 Mar 2014, 21:56

It doesnt even start, this seems to be the main suspect:

aticfx32.dll
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 09 Mar 2014, 23:56

Hey Bertram, good job. Regarding the materials of the orc and kobold, maybe the material names are incorrect. Change Orc2_Armor to Orc in the material script. I'm not sure what could be wrong with the kobold.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 10 Mar 2014, 11:31

Hi :)

Danimal {l Wrote}:It doesnt even start, this seems to be the main suspect:
aticfx32.dll

Ah, ok. This is a system video driver dll. Might mean you have to upgrade your video drivers.

Skorpio {l Wrote}:Hey Bertram, good job. Regarding the materials of the orc and kobold, maybe the material names are incorrect. Change Orc2_Armor to Orc in the material script. I'm not sure what could be wrong with the kobold.

Thanks Skorpio. :)
Indeed, I suspected the material misnaming or something like that. the fix for the Orc is working, thanks!
Can you tell me what are the actual Kobold material names so I can sync them? (For this might be part of the problem.)
For now, its: 'Kobold_skin' and 'Kobold_skin/TWOSIDE'

Also, while we're at it, I do suspect the tiles postfix naming convention non-working on certain OS because of the way it is computed.
More straight-forwardly said, I think the naming computation is bad on an endianess or on another.
I'd like to simplify that but can you explain me how the new tileset should be working?
Is it a 3x3 pattern for instance, like you have a different piece depending on the neighbors around it even in diagonal?

Why does the dirt have postfixes while the gold doesn't have them, for instance?

I know I'm asking a lot from you but I hope we might find a more simple way to name the meshes, and which is cross-platform.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 10 Mar 2014, 20:46

// current implementation does not allow on separate corner tiles
    // leave only those corner tiles  ( the one in  the even position in PostfixInt binary base ) who have at least one ver or hor neighbor

More straight-forwardly said, I think the naming computation is bad on an endianess or on another.
I'd like to simplify that but can you explain me how the new tileset should be working?
Is it a 3x3 pattern for instance, like you have a different piece depending on the neighbors around it even in diagonal?

Why does the dirt have postfixes while the gold doesn't have them, for instance?

It does uses the dirt mesh , it only applies the gold material on it . So no miracles in here .
I know I'm asking a lot from you but I hope we might find a more simple way to name the meshes, and which is cross-platform.

Endianess not the problem of OS, but of the CPU it runs.

Acording to wikipedia
The Motorola 6800 and 68k series of processors use the big-endian format, and for this reason, the big-endian format is also known as the Motorola convention. Other well-known processors that use the big-endian format include the Xilinx Microblaze, SuperH, IBM POWER, Atmel AVR32, and System/360 and its successors such as System/370, ESA/390, and z/Architecture. The PDP-10 also used big-endian addressing for byte-oriented instructions.

SPARC historically used big-endian until version 9, which is bi-endian, similarly the ARM architecture was little-endian before version 3 when it became bi-endian, and the PowerPC and Power Architecture descendants of POWER are also bi-endian.

Which platform do you want port to for that instance ?
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 10 Mar 2014, 22:32

Hi Paul,

It does uses the dirt mesh , it only applies the gold material on it . So no miracles in here .

Aww, right. I saw that in the refreshMesh render request code, indeed. Well, that pretty much explains it.

Endianess not the problem of OS, but of the CPU it runs.
Which platform do you want port to for that instance ?

Well yes, but the CPU (and not the OS) means a certain behaviour regarding the endianess, so it's all the same problem, right? ;)

I'd like to get a solution that:
- is cross-platform
- permits humans to understand the most possible what a mesh does when reading the filename.

Hence, using a bitset is something that must be changed. By reading the current code, here is what I understand:

1. Get the wall type neighbors by reverse order:
- If they are the same, it puts a '1' from bit at place 1 to place 7, every two digits.
2. Check the diagonal neighbors to the right and use place 2 and 4 for them
3. Check the diagonal neighbors to the left and use place 6 and 8 for them.
Then check for the existence of the mesh and rotate (shift) the bits until we find one fitting.

The bitset might be reversed because of endianess/cpu problems as you said.

So, if I understand correctly, you simply have to check every same tile type corners including diagonals
and open a file according to those data?
I don't think we should "rotate" the tiles description. It's simply a mix between another wanted feature, I guess, and it's never happening/working,
since I never see badly turned tiles while in-game.

So, I'd propose the following naming convention, for instance:
<TileType>_NneEesSswWwn.mesh
E.g.: Dirt_NneEesSswWwn.mesh

where:
NESW: means North, East, South, West same wall neighbors type, meaning the straight corresponding are full of the same tile type.
ne/es/sw/wn: means north-east, east-south, south-west, west-north same wall neighbors type, meaning the diagonal tile is full.

The corners order should have to be always the same.

Example 1:
Dirt_NE.mesh would mean it's a dirt tile which north and east tiles are also dirt walls, but every other are either empty or another wall type.
Water_SswWwnN.mesh mean it's water : south, south-west, west, north-west and north neighbors are the same tile type.

Using string characters, this would be understandable for a human and cross-platform (same filename whatever the CPU/endianess).

What do you all think about it?

Ah, btw, it seems I don't have write access to SVN so I won't be able to push the scripts fixes. Can you do that for me?

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 12 Mar 2014, 13:38

https://sourceforge.net/p/opendungeons/admin/svn/permissions

Sorry, this seems that developers actually can push to SVN base.
What are the problems exactly ?
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Elvano » 12 Mar 2014, 14:28

I doubt that he can acces that page, paul424.
Perhaps you can better quote the part you want to show rather than linking to a restricted page? =x
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Bertram » 12 Mar 2014, 14:53

Hi Paul,

Well, I prepared the files, and did from the SVN repo (from memory):
svn commit --username Bertram25 -p
It asked my password, waited a few second and then complained about forbidden access.
As my SVN knowledge may have gotten a bit rusty, what is the exact command you're using to push/commit there?

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 12 Mar 2014, 19:46

Don't remember exactly how it check for the password but it all worked well for me ,,,
ok let me make an empty commit ....
No idea what you could have done wrong , excepet it works without the --username and the -p options.
svn commit -m "This is empty commit ignore it"

It asks for password automaticly ...
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 12 Mar 2014, 23:29

Hi Paul,

I wiped out the local repo and rechecked it out. It worked. You should have the files now.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 17 Mar 2014, 23:09

Hi,

Latest binary available:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ev1orryb4etvd ... -03-17.zip

- Fixed camera tilting lowest bound.
- Prevented to pickup a creature when you're in the middle of adding rooms/traps.
- All creatures are now textured.
- The Editor tool box is back.

Have fun! :)
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby charlie » 18 Mar 2014, 00:37

Hey Bertram, perhaps a good way to get a bit more interest might be a Free Gamer article on OD. How about you posting a summary of the challenges you/paul/etc have overcome the last few months (so add a bit of a story/background to the release) and I bet we could get a few more eyes on the project.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Akien » 18 Mar 2014, 01:04

Bertram {l Wrote}:Hi,

Latest binary available:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ev1orryb4etvd ... -03-17.zip

- Fixed camera tilting lowest bound.
- Prevented to pickup a creature when you're in the middle of adding rooms/traps.
- All creatures are now textured.
- The Editor tool box is back.

Have fun! :)

Hi Bertram,

Thanks for your work on this!
Could you give some instructions on how to compile the same development snapshot on Linux? (i.e. which branches to clone, and so on).
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby Bertram » 18 Mar 2014, 09:45

Hi all, :)

Akien {l Wrote}:Thanks for your work on this!
Could you give some instructions on how to compile the same development snapshot on Linux? (i.e. which branches to clone, and so on).

@Akien

You can clone the following branch on sourceforge:
http://sourceforge.net/p/opendungeons/g ... ment/tree/

git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/opendungeons/git development

Then, you'll need the game data, which are separated from the git repo atm:
svn checkout svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/opendungeons/svn/media

(Note that I added the media/ folder on purpose in the checkout so that you won't download megs of data source, but you can always check them out if you want.)

Then copy what's inside the media/ folder (not the media/ folder itself) on the git root folder.

Once this is done, check the project dependencies (see the FAQ.txt/README files in the git clone), install them, and then do the usual:
cmake .
make

(and pray ;])
The binary can be launched using:
./opendungeons.bin

Have fun, Akien!
Bertram
VT Moderator