[DONE] OD Windows binaries

Re: [DONE] OD Windows binaries

Postby Bertram » 26 Jun 2014, 08:56

@Paul:
I was not ignoring you.

See? We're not ignoring you... ;) I may be mercyless myself when it comes to code, but when you work on a spare time project, you can't afford things that make the project scope go crazy, or lack of discipline and half-finished stuff. Even more than in the real thing, I'd say.
Anyway, I've seen you've made real progress in term of following the commit policy and code guidelines. Thank you for that.

Ehem , my first impression : SHouldn't you run the CG plugin, to see how the textures really look like ?

On windows, yes, but the cg plugin isn't provided on my linux system as it is not free. We need another way to do bump mapping/normals,
any ideas?

EDIT : http://game-icons.net/ wee I saw that site earlier , kudos to you for using them :) !

Thanks

Please, tell me whether there are commits I need to review and whether I can merge my own branch or at least certain commits of it.

@Danimal:
Yes, its good.

Cool. :)

Most fitting i could find:
http://game-icons.net/lorc/originals/wrecking-ball.html
Miley Cyrus comes as an extra in the premium version :eew:

Lol.
wrecking-ball.png

Click on the button, and then you can .... Wr E-E-Eck it!

Ugly, but i think is needed to avoid having to micro-manage your worker horde, even if they still need babysitting until someone reverts the behaviour of only working on task they can directly see. Just try having them mine gold and see how they deposit it and idle on the treasury instead of going back to the digging.

Ah well, there is nothing to revert as I can swear they never dig anything else than what they could see. The difference in behaviour is more about the fact that the old level had more opened areas, and that the previous behaviour was to wander more (at random).
Anyway, don't worry too much, I've seen the place in the code where I can fix this. I'll make them first dig what they can see and then look at any reachable marked tiles when the first fails.
I've also started to fix kobolds not reacting when creatures come to attack them when they are digging/claiming. Let's discuss all that with the next build. ;)

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Akien » 26 Jun 2014, 10:32

Bertram {l Wrote}:
Ehem , my first impression : SHouldn't you run the CG plugin, to see how the textures really look like ?

On windows, yes, but the cg plugin isn't provided on my linux system as it is not free. We need another way to do bump mapping/normals,
any ideas?

And Cg has been deprecated by Nvidia itself, so we even dropped the nonfree toolkit from Mageia (needless to say we don't build OGRE's Cg plugin either, since we don't have the toolkit anymore).

Nvidia gives some info about alternatives:
Nvidia {l Wrote}:Going forward, we recommend new development with GLSL, or HLSL for Windows applications, rather than Cg.

Nvidia {l Wrote}: There are open-source alternatives that address the effects part of Cg, CgFX.
One developed by an NVIDIA engineer, is called nvFx and is available on Github: https://github.com/tlorach/nvFX.
While it is not a replacement for CgFx, it provides an example of an effects layer close to CgFX, with even more features.

Other projects are using different approaches to address this high level management of shaders
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby Bertram » 26 Jun 2014, 13:11

Hi Akien,

About alternatives, I would rather use Ogre material language in a cross-compatible way:
http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/Materials

That's what I've been trying to do so far by reusing the RT shader system given by Ogre there (based on material inheritance), but I'm still struggling with it when it comes to behave nicely with normals, decals, ...
Maybe also it's because of the way we set the lighting? I've still got a lot to learn there.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby MCMic » 26 Jun 2014, 13:39

icon Danimal found is ok.
It could be a spell.
MCMic

Postby Bertram » 27 Jun 2014, 07:50

Ok, I'll use that icon.
But no, what's about rooms should stay with rooms, IMO.
Still, I've got one last question:
Should I put the button to the far right so that the user knows this one is special, can I put it on the left before the others?

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 27 Jun 2014, 10:30

Far right please, also be careful it doesnt erase portal or dungeon heart tiles, new heart/portal models wont have this problem but actual ones does have a lot of exposed tiles.

Proposal to add creatures simple visible stats, the number is the creature level, the back color is the team ones, the shield colour gets depleted from top to bottom as visual % of total life points. Mood can also change the skull to a sad version, skull can be swapped to a helmet for hero side.
Attachments
Monster stats-red.png
Monster stats-red.png (8.84 KiB) Viewed 11620 times
Monster stats-green.png
Monster stats-green.png (9.12 KiB) Viewed 11620 times
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 27 Jun 2014, 13:54

Heya,

Good idea for the skull! :cool:
I'd like to fix a few things first, especially what has been reported in older builds, but your idea is definitely worth doing, IMHO. :) I'll name it 'Danimal's Skull Flag'. ;)

Just wanted to speak about usability about that creature flag, as I'd propose this:
The skull flag will appear:
- Above the creature's head.
- Above a same-team creature when you either hover it.
- Above all visible same-team creatures when you hold a key. (Shift?)
- The shield color, and level will appear and the color fill will represent the HP as you said.
- I'm not fond using another image for sadness as there isn't only sadness involved here, and also because it will be harder to see it,
especially when the flag will not always be there. (Don't forget there is hunger, and drowsiness along with mood).
Hence I'd propose to use one flag image not changing per team. This image will be a seat parameter, permitting to add cool new flags, btw.

As for status effects (hunger, sadness, ...), I'd rather have us think about a common, different from skull flags, and extensible way to represent status effects, for instance:
- Particle effects? (but this involves adding support for particle effect first and we already have to figure out how to represent simple texture, eh. ;])
- A list of icon above the creature? (but under the skull flag?)

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 27 Jun 2014, 14:26

I'll name it 'Danimal's Skull Flag'. ;)

:) Niceeee

- Above the creature's head.
- Above a same-team creature when you either hover it.
- Above all visible same-team creatures when you hold a key. (Shift?)
- The shield color, and level will appear and the color fill will represent the HP as you said

Actually i think overing over any creature or pressing shift should show all skulls regardless of team, so you know if you are getting into a sure loss battle, winning it or not even poking that max level hero with epic weapons...

As for status effects (hunger, sadness, ...), I'd rather have us think about a common, different from skull flags, and extensible way to represent status effects,

The simplest way would be to show a picture representing the most urgent need (only the ones at 0 level, we shouldnt care about half empty ones) over the creatures head (the respective room icons maybe?), that pic would show always with no need of cursor hovering it, pressing shift (or hovering) should subtitute it for the skull (shift being some kind of battle mode info), but the "need pic" will swap intermitently with the skull (3 seconds skull, 1 second "need" proportion?); that allows to show for example a state/pic for creatures running away from battle or if you forgot to release Shift key after battle locate any unsatisfied creature.

I though of a little modification, instead of becoming transparent with low life the back of the shield should have a semitranparent colour version, so the teams are visible even at low health
Attachments
Green Half life.png
Green Half life.png (8.8 KiB) Viewed 11598 times
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 18 Jul 2014, 23:42

With the addition of the Troll and Scarab i realized the "Sleep" animation is not used even if it exists, is it true or am i missing something?
*** Edit: my fault, i had to remane "Sleep_idle" to just "Sleep", now they properly sleep.

I released zips in each model thread with and without normals, merge at your discretion ;)
Find attached the modified creature.def with both new creatures, old troll should be moved to somewhere else where it doesnt take space.
Attachments
new_buddies.png
New buddies High Five!
creatures_DEF.zip
(832 Bytes) Downloaded 238 times
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 05 Aug 2014, 09:08

Hi there,

Once hwoarangmy's latest additions will be in (being reviewed atm), and once I've done adding the new in-game window frame, I'll make a new rolling release. This one is going to be shiny as multiplayer support 2.0 will be in thanks to him, for instance. ;)
To answer Danimal's question:
- Yes, the new Gold stacks are in. :)
- Yes, the two new creatures are in and they are looking great.
- Yes, RT shader support is back! I'll work on improving the normals support afterwards, by adding an entities catalog file, permitting to setup each models parameter in a central way.
Then, I'll readd the creatures with normals wherever possible.
- Support to put hatchery tiles is also almost ready. (but still no chicken and no food system, yet.)

</teasing-off>

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 05 Aug 2014, 09:40

Bertram {l Wrote}:- Yes, the two new creatures are in and they are looking great.
- Yes, RT shader support is back!
I've tried it and it is really nice. I've not looked at the code but I have seen same type of creatures with different colors. Is it normal ? (I have taken a screenshot if needed).
hwoarangmy

Postby Bertram » 05 Aug 2014, 10:59

I've tried it and it is really nice. I've not looked at the code but I have seen same type of creatures with different colors. Is it normal ? (I have taken a screenshot if needed).

Might be related to how the rtshader normal are applied in a hard-coded way, but I can't be sure like that. Any idea oln?

A screenshot would indeed help me. Could you also give me the two differently colored creatures names of the same type? (You can get that with middle-click on them)

Thanks a lot for the feedback!
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 05 Aug 2014, 11:17

As you can see in the attached screenshot, the creature is "Kreatur" I guess. I have also seen other units like that (with different colors). But it is not bad...
Attachments
capt.jpg
hwoarangmy

Postby Danimal » 05 Aug 2014, 12:44

Thats... not looking good... hwoarangmy did you run on windows or linux? I remember there was a shader system in place where certain creature parts were the color of the team ("sand clock" on spider, orc tatoos, kobold dollar on bag, knigths cloaks...) but i dont remenber it working on a long time, and the implementation of "life skulls" would render it useless since its a more clear indicator of teams.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 05 Aug 2014, 12:47

Re,

Here, you can see that the Kreatur model has got a normal hard-coded:
https://github.com/OpenDungeons/OpenDun ... .cpp#L1324
Maybe it's working only on the first entity spawned?

I have witnessed the same thing on Wizards, btw.

Danimal {l Wrote}:Thats... not looking good... hwoarangmy did you run on windows or linux?

N.B.: Now that the RT Shader system is back online, I have the same image quality between linux and windows btw, just in case.

Danimal {l Wrote}:I remember there was a shader system in place where certain creature parts were the color of the team ("sand clock" on spider, orc tatoos, kobold dollar on bag, knigths cloaks...) but i dont remenber it working on a long time, and the implementation of "life skulls" would render it useless since its a more clear indicator of teams.

Enabling normals on entities will disable the possibility to colour them according to the Ogre documentation. E.g.: http://www.ogre3d.org/docs/manual/manua ... ml#ambient
Since we would be using GLSL shaders through it.

But this should be no problem once we've added even basic skull flag support, indeed. I simply wonder whether we could color the missing parts of creatures by other means?

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 05 Aug 2014, 13:01

Sure, its just filling the missing spot on textures, its pretty much like what we do with floor tiles/walls "star"
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 05 Aug 2014, 13:32

Sure, its just filling the missing spot on textures, its pretty much like what we do with floor tiles/walls "star"

Ah cool! :) I'll see what I can do about this. Or maybe you feel more like doing it?
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby oln » 05 Aug 2014, 13:43

Bertram {l Wrote}:But this should be no problem once we've added even basic skull flag support, indeed. I simply wonder whether we could color the missing parts of creatures by other means?

On tiles and other flat static objects you could simply put a coloured decal(or model) on top of them, but for creatures and other things I think it will be more complicated. Maybe you can still use blending, but with a coloured texture instead of using the material colour values.
oln

Postby hwoarangmy » 05 Aug 2014, 14:29

Danimal {l Wrote}:hwoarangmy did you run on windows or linux
Windows.

Bertram {l Wrote}:Maybe it's working only on the first entity spawned?
I will do some tests to see.

Bertram {l Wrote}:I have witnessed the same thing on Wizards, btw.
I've seen it too.
hwoarangmy

Postby Danimal » 05 Aug 2014, 14:40

Ah cool! :) I'll see what I can do about this. Or maybe you feel more like doing it?

Yes, ill correct the textures that have missings/grey spots.

On tiles and other flat static objects you could simply put a coloured decal(or model) on top of them, but for creatures and other things I think it will be more complicated. Maybe you can still use blending, but with a coloured texture instead of using the material colour values.

Nah, i think its bettter to forget about that feature and use the skull flags, but blood stain decals on floor after a figth would be cool :twisted:
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 06 Aug 2014, 16:59

Bertram {l Wrote}:Maybe it's working only on the first entity spawned?
From the tests I've done, I think you are right. I have only seen one per game with shiny colors. Not 100% sure it was always the first but I would guess so.
hwoarangmy

Postby Bertram » 07 Aug 2014, 08:40

Hi there everyone, :)

Two steps further, one step back, that's how life is in the dev hell. ;)

Here is a little point of situation:
- Howarangmy has more or less finished the version 2.0 of multiplayer support. But we're (I should say I, in fact) facing regression on linux atm.
- The reintroduction of a working RT Shader system might have partly broken the marking of tiles to dig on linux using intel open-sourced drivers, or I am inclined to think it atm.
- The addition of a newly made room makes the game crash on my machine atm.
- The GLSL shaders used by the RT shader system are making warnings appear when marking a tile to dig. This may be linked to the second statement of this list but certain tiles get colored when the creatures dig the ones next to them, and this was working with the RT shader in place before, so there might be something else. Killing or working around this bug may help though.

I'll be on fixing those points for the next coming days as I'm the only one getting into them so far, to make sure we have an experience as smooth as possible. Can anyone else test (on windows or linux) and tell us what problems he/she is facing concerning those two points?

Once we've fixed that somehow, I'll create a 'stable' branch (in opposition to 'development') and I'll push the code state there. The goal of this new branch will be to host the latest code base when we have no big show-stoppers, so people can play with something more 'stable' as in the name. ;) It also goes well with the rolling release logic we have so far.

Last but not least, I'm not sure I will be available on Friday after all. (Sorry!) Anyway, with the current bugs, fixing them before having a lan might be better. Maybe in one week or two? :)
Don't worry, I still want to crush someone else's creatures. ;)

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Akien » 07 Aug 2014, 08:52

I'll try to reproduce those bugs on Linux with Intel driver and with the proprietary Nvidia driver (I have an optimus laptop with both).

When building the game a few days ago I couldn't get it to start, but I think it was because I built it in a "build" subfolder initialised with "cmake ..", I'm not sure the buildsystem is capable of building the game out of source and still run it in place (which is fine by the way, the logical step after a compilation out of source would be a "make install" I guess).
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby Bertram » 07 Aug 2014, 08:57

Thanks Akien. The more eyes on this, the quicker we'll find a solution.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 07 Aug 2014, 10:19

Akien {l Wrote}:When building the game a few days ago I couldn't get it to start, but I think it was because I built it in a "build" subfolder initialised with "cmake .."
If you build the game outside the source folder, you need to copy :
- gui
- levels
- materials
- models
- music
- sounds

You also need to make sure plugins.cfg/plugins-d.cfg are configured to find the choosen renderer.
hwoarangmy