What there is to do & SumWars/LoS

Re: What there is to do & SumWars/LoS

Postby TheAncientGoat » 23 Dec 2012, 17:13

The Lips 0.6.0 release is about half as fast as the current development version. Luajit gives a big boost, and scripting system cleanups give it an even bigger boost on top of that. Minimizing the amount of voxels onscreen also boosts the speed. Because the rendering engines are the same, there shouldn't really be any large difference between non-voxel and non-script related performance.

Unfortunately we won't see a new release until Nekotaku finishes his thesis.. Or he has a lapse of judgement, and decides LoS is more important :P (however I can use the new code to make a OD-LOS repo next year around Feb)
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 06 Jan 2013, 17:56

Update on the Sumwars/OD merger idea:
http://sumwars.org/forum/index.php?topic=437.0
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 07 Jan 2013, 20:27

The questions remain: What are the benefits and the downsides of a merger? Is it worth the effort? Will it perhaps cripple one of the projects and make future developments more difficult?

As I said before I think collaborating on the art front would be no problem, but I have concerns about a complete fusion of the two projects.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 07 Jan 2013, 20:53

My dearest interlocutors,

I 've already briefly looked over the code of SumWars to see if it could contain some easily portable code and I couldn't .
If someone finds a well defined piece of code to be emedded into existing code base , he is welcomed to tell on the fourm or even merge in by himself .
By calling the bash cat program on two source sets of two projects , you won't achieve , what Marxist call >>added value << .

Sincerly yours paul424.
paul424
OD Moderator