So how can we progress on this?
For now Skorpio has made a list of things that need to be done for OD to progress:
- Tile set implementation (this should have the highest priority)
- AI improvement to allow basic gameplay for a minimalistic tower defense/rush or dota mode
- Editor improvements - Adding and deleting creatures, traps, rooms and
other props is not possible yet (only in the level file). Modifying the
map layout is not possible in editor. With these features people could
already design maps and load their own creatures and props.
- Creatures' health points don't work (and probably damage, too). They
seem to die instantly, but I'm not sure if it's not implemented yet or
if it's a bug.
- Lighting has to be improved and we have no shadows yet
- The music stutters and we need to find more music (have to search on OGA and elsewhere)
- Shaders and particles for water, fire and lava
- Sounds need to be improved.
Comment: at least on the music side West has done some awesome songs for SumWars, which would probably fit to OD too.
Otherwise? Oln (see here viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2903&p=39181#p39130 ) from OD and dezGusty from SumWars (see here http://sumwars.org/forum/index.php?topic=432.0 ) have expressed that a merger might be a good idea and maybe feasible. But both need to have a closer look at the other sides code first. Then there is someone named Mors who expressed some interest in helping out on the blog.
dezGusty is proposing to move to a common code base and implement both games as mods. I guess since SumWars has already lua scripting, using that as a start for modding would be good, e.g. it's game-code is already abstracted I think and could be implemented into the OD engine which seems to have the better graphics capabilities (and is already on OGRE3d 1.8) and also has the core editor functionality.
Ah btw, some ideas could maybe also be taken from Lips of Suna, which is also based on OGRE3D.
But I guess we are still looking for contributors. Maybe a post over at the OGRE3D recruitment board would help also?