[DONE] OD Windows binaries

Re: [DONE] OD Windows binaries

Postby Danimal » 03 Oct 2014, 09:43

This feels totally different, the experience has really improved :o
I could only see some bugs:

- The chicken crossing: chickens crossing from one corner of the map to the other while ignoring walls/water/lava (very apparent on Scream in the darkness map)
- The Benny Hill effect: creatures flee quite nicely (did you accelerate their walking animation for it? kudos if you did) but while i was trying to attack the dwarfs on the "stonekeep siegue" map, no minion wanted to cross the door (they went back and forth from it, all were fed and awake) except for devils, and then the dwarves inside got scared when they saw the devils and started running away, and the devils realized they were inside a room full of dwarves, so they started running away as well around the room; i can see some nasty battle condition at work here. :x
- Kobold far mining sounds are still there, not as bad as before, but still there

But those things are small compared to everything that has been enhanced, from the creatures behaviors, sounds, music, general speed and little touches like creatures animated on hand (its kind of cute to see them idle on mini-form, dont change it!), without doubt, this is the best OD version ever! :D

Should i give out the link on homepage?
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 03 Oct 2014, 10:49

Danimal {l Wrote}:- The chicken crossing: chickens crossing from one corner of the map to the other while ignoring walls/water/lava (very apparent on Scream in the darkness map)
Yes, I had not seen that. Don't know why yet but it seems the chickens now spawn at 0,0 tile and then walk to their destination tile. I will open an issue and fix it.

Danimal {l Wrote}:- The Benny Hill effect: creatures flee quite nicely (did you accelerate their walking animation for it? kudos if you did) but while i was trying to attack the dwarfs on the "stonekeep siegue" map, no minion wanted to cross the door (they went back and forth from it, all were fed and awake) except for devils, and then the dwarves inside got scared when they saw the devils and started running away, and the devils realized they were inside a room full of dwarves, so they started running away as well around the room; i can see some nasty battle condition at work here. :x
That's strange. If they are hungry/sleepy, they have a max 20% chances of fleeing only. But when they are weak (HP < 33%), they flee until they see no enemy. They do not take into account how many enemies before fighting. I wil try this map to see.

Danimal {l Wrote}:Should i give out the link on homepage?
It would be better to upload it to the site than to add a dropbox link. Is it possible ?
hwoarangmy

Postby Danimal » 03 Oct 2014, 11:26

i would be better for it to be uploaded to sourceforge and distributed from it, can someone do it? (i cant)
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 03 Oct 2014, 11:52

adding a new bug, modifying a level crashes the game rigth at the initial menu when you press any of the buttons ( at least when edited from excel, just opening an saving without any change creates this crash)
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 03 Oct 2014, 13:07

Could you upload the file that makes game crash ?
If it was not modified, I would guess at problem with line endings. But it will be easier to debug with the faulty map :)
hwoarangmy

Postby Danimal » 03 Oct 2014, 14:47

this one for example, i just opened saved without changing anything and closed. game stopped working at main menu after pressing any buttton.
Attachments
TestSingleplayerSmall.rar
(2.59 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 03 Oct 2014, 14:59

@oln:
Could you upload the latest binary to sourceforge?

@Danimal, @hwoarangmy:
I've created the corresponding issue: https://github.com/OpenDungeons/OpenDungeons/issues/217
I added there it was when using the win32 binary.

Apart from that, it's cool you appreciated the game experience. (I sincerely do, too!)

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 06 Oct 2014, 10:11

I've add a look at Danimal's level file. You can see the details in the github issue :
https://github.com/OpenDungeons/OpenDungeons/issues/217

But to resume, each line has been modified by adding spaces (because of them, we ended in an infinite loop while reading map information - I will fix that asap). More important, the subgoals handling has been modified. That means that if you use this text editor to modify a level, even with the space fix, subgoals will be considered as main goals.
For this problem, there are 2 ways :
- Do not use this test editor (probably wiser since it changes every line and we cannot be sure there is no unseen bug)
- Change the way the subgoals are defined in the level file so that they are not considered as a number
hwoarangmy

Postby Akien » 06 Oct 2014, 10:21

hwoarangmy {l Wrote}:For this problem, there are 2 ways :
- Do not use this test editor (probably wiser since it changes every line and we cannot be sure there is no unseen bug)
- Change the way the subgoals are defined in the level file so that they are not considered as a number

Maybe we should do both? :-)
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby Danimal » 06 Oct 2014, 10:27

For more information, i used microsoft excel 2010 to modify it; i have been using it previously on the all the other releases, this is the first one to present errors with it.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 06 Oct 2014, 11:43

Previously to the map information, nearly all information in the level file was technical (no string to be displayed) so extra spaces was not a big deal. But the most important is that when you will modify a level, github will show modifications on every line which will make it hard to follow.
Concerning the goals issue, I can't see any reason why there would be a difference between now and older releases. I just note that there are no extra spaces in the other level files so I would guess at a different configuration in excel...
hwoarangmy

Postby Danimal » 06 Oct 2014, 11:59

nothing was changed on my excel from the older OD release to this one
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 07 Oct 2014, 08:24

The new format should help with this anyway. :)
EDIT: I mean, it will be more readable and you won't have to use Excel anymore, IMHO.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 19 Oct 2014, 21:26

Old creature.def file, just for testing purpose of beds, best used with last rolling version found some posts above
Attachments
creatures.rar
(745 Bytes) Downloaded 250 times
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 02 Nov 2014, 22:33

Hey there, :)

New rolling release!!! (2014/11/02)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/omx79t7psf38k ... 2.zip?dl=0

This release has especially been made to permit us to balance the game and more precisely the creatures stats and spawning conditions.

Changelog:
Game:
- Added support to sell rooms/traps and get half the price back. (hwoarangmy)
- Added support for creatures to drop stuff on death, used only for worker's gold atm (hwoarangmy)
--> The worker will also let Gold on the floor if there is no more room in the treasury.
--> When destroying a treasury room, the corresponding gold is left on the floor.

Config:
New and hot: (More after the changelog)
- Added a lot of new configurable parameters in creatures class, and used a new data format for it. (hwoarangmy, Bertram)
--> Now creatures have a physical and magical attack and defense, for instance, and the way they compute their damage has been reviewed.
--> Creatures now have XP table support to be able to define more properly how they level up.
- Added configuration support for equipment (hwoarangmy)
- Added configuration support for global settings and started adding a few parameters there, more to come. (hwoarangmy)
- Added the same for creatures spawn conditions. Creatures don't get out of the portal at random anymore!! You now have to attract them using shiny rooms and gold. (More after the changelog) (hwoarangmy)
- Added support for specialized creatures in level. Those creatures have a base class with potentially overridden stats to make them special. Used for boss creatures. :> (hwoarangmy)
--> The same mechanism has been added for equipment.
- The game now follows standard paths for user config and data, tested on windows and linux. (Bertram)
- Prettified the screenshot filenames when pressing PrintScreen. (Bertram)

GUI:
- Adapted the GUI for lower resolutions down to 640x480. (Bertram)
- Improved the colors used in the minimap to make it more useful and a bit more appealing. ;) (Bertram)

Sound/Music:
- Actually fixed the spatial sounds heard in game. Now you will hear the nearest creatures action sounds when close to them and more far way ones when higher. (Bertram)

Content:
- Tons of new creature beds from eugeneloza and Danimal.This feels more complete now. :)
- New spider model (Danimal)

Misc:
- Fixed wrong chicken behaviour. Oh those nasty little ... (hwoarangmy)
- Streamlining how objects are created and deleted from memory (hwoarangmy)
- Streamlined the way game entities are handled by the engine to make it more extensible and less error-prone. (hwoarangmy)
- Updated the Angel Script sources to the latest version (oln)
- A major effort of testing, thorough reviews of code and a lot of taunting in preparation of the next lan. (Akien, err wait, everyone in fact but especially Akien ;P)
- A thorough effort on bugfixing, especially now we're getting close from a complete milestone. ;) (everyone)

As said above, this release has been made with the care of adding sufficient configurability to make balancing possible without recompilation.
With all the new configuration files present in the config/ folder, you can change a great deal of gameplay, and we'll use this to smother any discrepancies. Mwahaha. (Wait, did I just write that on a public forum??)

Atm, what's left is balancing the game and working on improving the AI. So, we're quite close the next official release!! :)

Enjoy! :D
Last edited by Bertram on 03 Nov 2014, 14:23, edited 3 times in total.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Akien » 03 Nov 2014, 08:41

I can feel a nice 0.4.9 release coming as Christmas present :-D
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby eugeneloza » 03 Nov 2014, 09:48

Strange... I'm having just "loading..." for every singleplayer map. Waited for 32 minutes for 'testplayersingle small', but with the same result. The OD doesn't freeze - I can easily go back, but not forward. The same problem was for August version, but somehow I got to play one map...

Windows 7 / 64 bit.
OD binaries doesn't stat for wine.
eugeneloza

Postby Bertram » 03 Nov 2014, 10:23

Hi there :)

@eugeneloza I've had the same problem you had at the very first run of each binary version. In fact, windows was triggering a pop-up requesting approval for network activity from the application. Try running the application in windowed mod and see whether such a pop-up appears in the taskbar. I hope this will help.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby eugeneloza » 03 Nov 2014, 10:39

Oooh... that was the same case here. Thanks! It's working!
eugeneloza

Postby Bertram » 03 Nov 2014, 10:57

Ok, I've added the latest changelog. :)

Danimal, you now have no more excuse to start tweaking the game through opening config files in a proper text editor. ;)
I'd request we open a new topic and start pointing out any discrepancies in the game balance.
Any player is welcome to give input. :)
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 03 Nov 2014, 12:10

@eugeneloza Sorry I didn't post the screenshot as promized (actually, I tried but it seems like I get no screenshot when I press the button - I've not gone really deep but I think there is an issue there).
But now, you will be able to see them live, which is even better ^^
hwoarangmy

Postby hwoarangmy » 03 Nov 2014, 12:13

Bertram {l Wrote}:Danimal, you now have no more excuse to start tweaking the game through opening config files in a proper text editor. ;)
Yeah and we are also lacking rooms, animations (for forge, library, ...) and traps. I hope you weren't planning on sleeping for 2 or 3 weeks...
hwoarangmy

Postby Danimal » 03 Nov 2014, 12:54

im gonna complain to the underground goblin/orc labor union, this exploitement is not included on the pact!

Forge and library dont need any animations IMO
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby eugeneloza » 03 Nov 2014, 12:58

you will be able to see them live, which is even better

Yeah, it's cool to see :cool:

BUG found: Kobolds do get stuck in 'unpenetratable walls edges'. Grabbing and releasing them resets them to normal. (pathfinding problem / or maybe it just tries to claim them)
(UPD) when there is almost no work left for them, they seem to get lost in the dungeon just walking around and trying to 'work' on already finished tiles, sometimes even when they are grabbed and put before the unclaimed tile.

another BUG: The gear in the golden worker is not transparent as it should be... looks like a weird black square :)

Balance: (Re)Claiming of the territory appears to be very slow. I.e. I eliminated all the enemies in about 30 minutes... and for the last 3 hours 3 kobolds + golden worker still haven't claimed all the territory around.

(UPD) The floor tiles around the portal and the temple (?) appear to be the same texture as the treasury. Confusing for the first-time play.

(UPD) some floor tiles appear to be unselectable (actually they can be selected at a large zoom, but even then the selection often 'jumps' to the lower tile). Most often above buildings e.g. smithery.
eugeneloza

Postby Bertram » 03 Nov 2014, 14:16

Hey :)

Danimal {l Wrote}:@eugeneloza Sorry I didn't post the screenshot as promized (actually, I tried but it seems like I get no screenshot when I press the button - I've not gone really deep but I think there is an issue there).

The screenshots are now stored in the appdata folder: On windows, it's usually in the C:Documents and Settings\EvilUsername\Application Data\OpenDungeons (hidden folder)

eugeneloza {l Wrote}:>BUG found: Kobolds do get stuck in 'unpenetratable walls edges'. Grabbing and releasing them resets them to normal. (pathfinding problem / or maybe it just tries to claim them)

Yep, known bug as https://github.com/OpenDungeons/OpenDungeons/issues/214

eugeneloza {l Wrote}:(UPD) when there is almost no work left for them, they seem to get lost in the dungeon just walking around and trying to 'work' on already finished tiles, sometimes even when they are grabbed and put before the unclaimed tile.

That is coming from the fact that they can only handle what they see. It's part of things we should take care of eventually, issue: https://github.com/OpenDungeons/OpenDungeons/issues/180

eugeneloza {l Wrote}:(UPD) when there is almost no work left for them, they seem to get lost in the dungeon just walking around and trying to 'work' on already finished tiles, sometimes even when they are grabbed and put before the unclaimed tile.

I'll let Danimal answer that one but AFAIK, upgrading the temple was planned.

(UPD) some floor tiles appear to be unselectable (actually they can be selected at a large zoom, but even then the selection often 'jumps' to the lower tile). Most often above buildings e.g. smithery.

That comes from the Field of view/Zoom and view angle. We have to improve the default viewport i guess but in the meanwhile you can try rotating the view a bit, and it should help with that.
Again, maybe an issue should be open?

@Danimal I hope you'll enjoy the new build. :) I'm for one eager to get some feedback from you too, especially about the configurability.

EDIT: @eugeneloza: Please keep the feedback coming as you see fit. :D

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator