[DONE] OD Windows binaries

Re: [DONE] OD Windows binaries

Postby paul424 » 13 Aug 2014, 18:24

Hello, when starting the OD , from github I get :
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
Cannot locate resource Shield_small.mesh in resource group Autodetect or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/sinbad-ogre-dd30349ea667/OgreMain/src/OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 756)

Could someone update the media content ?
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 13 Aug 2014, 21:26

Could someone update the media content ?

This error is weird. I think you should get a fresh clone or pull from the development branch on github:

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
git clone git://github.com/OpenDungeons/OpenDungeons.git development

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 21 Aug 2014, 00:45

NEW rolling release!! This one is hot, hot, hot!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a19t0jtmurb4w ... -08-20.zip
XP binary: https://www.dropbox.com/s/azbh43gjwokq5 ... p.exe?dl=0

Ever wanted to crush your friends online with your minion's army? This is now possible.
Hwoarangmy, a dark and evil sorcerer of code, has used his most evil spells to bring this out to you,
while Akien's and I tried to provide enough mana to integrate his latest hideous creation in the beast we now deliver.
And during that time, Danimal kept waiting eagerly for his modeling revenge... ;)
Yeah, we're soo eviiiilllll. Mwahahaha!

This is the best open source keeper game release you ever dreamt of. ;)
And the story is not over!
So what are you waiting for? GO GRAB IT!!

Quick changelog since latest rolling release:
- Moved code/media + media source repos to github & created base issues there. (Everyone)

- Lan support!!
- Full lan game support (tested cross-platform) through the complete revrite of the game logic to support a full client / Server paradigm. (hwoarangmy)
- Dropped old socket code in favour of SFML::net (hworangmy)
- Added menus to select levels and/or a server IP before starting a game. (hwoarangmy)
- Added chat support (hwoarangmy) - Push Enter in game and type your text.

- Rooms
- New fully functional hatchery room (hwoarangmy + Danimal & Dm3d for the models)
I said fully, the creatures go and eat chicken, for real!

- New training dummy (Danimal)
- Made the creatures visually attack the dummies (hwoarangmy)
- Fixed crash on temple and portal destruction (Bertram)
- Fixed dormitory ground texture. (Danimal)
- New room icons (Bertram)
- Added basic Library support (Bertram for code, and Danimal for models)
- Several improvement to the room API and logic. (hwoarangmy)
- Fixed a crash when an AI loses its temple (hwoarangmy)

And the rest but not the least. ;)
- Several improvements on creature drag/drop post behaviour. (hwoarangmy)
- New Rock and beetle golem creatures fully animated. (Dm3d & Danimal)
- Added support to automatically print a stack trace when supported (Paul)
- Room buttons reordered to be more logical (Bertram)
- Added support for spawn pools per Seat (Bertram)
- Fixed RTT shader system initialization. (Bertram)
- Separated marked tile & claimed tile coloration logic to fix a bug. (Bertram)
- Only the arrow on walls and ground claimed tiles is of the team color now (Bertram)
- Fixed creature not earning XP while training (Bertram)
- Fully functional minimap + players color on minimap. (MCMic)
- Fixed drag'n'drop cursor display in the game mode. (MCMic)

I think we can dedicate this release to the best open source development team I've ever known and in particular to Hwoarangmy, who has been working like ten
to make this possible.

I might have forgotten things, but seeing the size of the changelog, it wouldn't be surprising. :)

Can I request a few words about all the work you've done, hwoarangmy? :)

Regards,
Last edited by Bertram on 27 Aug 2014, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 21 Aug 2014, 01:34

Bertram {l Wrote}:Can I request a few words about all the work you've done, hwoarangmy? :)
I told you I would kick your minions' asses. To fulfill this promess, we have to make the beast work :)
It would be a shame if the game crashed just before I kill your dungeon temple, wouldn't it?
And BTW, it is nice to work in a team like that. Yesterday, I had to disable github notifications because I received more than 100 mails in 1 day. That's a good sign :)
hwoarangmy

Postby Akien » 21 Aug 2014, 07:26

hwoarangmy {l Wrote}:And BTW, it is nice to work in a team like that. Yesterday, I had to disable github notifications because I received more than 100 mails in 1 day. That's a good sign :)

Yes, I guess yesterday was "bored in $dayjob day" :-)
Last edited by Akien on 21 Aug 2014, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby Bertram » 21 Aug 2014, 08:25

Yeah, yesterday was a crazy OD day to me as well. :)
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 21 Aug 2014, 11:01

@Paul: Could you upload the latest binary on sourceforge?

Thanks and regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 21 Aug 2014, 11:10

I guess OD has become our obsesive scape from reality :D
Real good work guys!! i would say this most of a beta now than an alpha :)
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 21 Aug 2014, 11:24

:)

The 0.4.9 release can be tagged as beta, indeed.
The overall project has moved from buggy pre-alpha to shiny alpha state, IMO. :)

Again, you should thank hwoarangmy for that. He's a really new pillar of this project.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 21 Aug 2014, 13:04

I have been testing it, overall it plays a lot better, workers are very responsive, chickens idle on farm and are eaten, creatures get bigger training and the small map is a nice battle royale.

But i came across some errors:
- Editor doesnt work, more like it doesnt load any map, everything is responsive, but i just see black map, i tried to copy a test.level to the old location, still same error
- once i had a wall dont desappearing after digging, but just one time, its not that big a deal
- crashed once due a missing weapon bone, doesnt seem like a big bug
- crashed looking for chickencoop, i looked and its not on the model folder, it needs to be included
- not an error but picking and dropping have become much slower, its not really game breaking but you can tell the difference in speed
- the wall normal maps are not applied, they had it before
- specularity maps are still an eyeshore, but there is no woraround to it, the whole mapping issue needs to be fixed for this to work
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 21 Aug 2014, 13:24

Danimal {l Wrote}:chickens idle on farm and are eaten
Idle ? Strange, they should be walking around on the farm. Are they not?

Danimal {l Wrote}:- Editor doesnt work, more like it doesnt load any map, everything is responsive, but i just see black map, i tried to copy a test.level to the old location, still same error
I've never tried the editor. I will have a look to make it compatible with the game and maybe copy/paste the level loader menu.

Danimal {l Wrote}:- crashed once due a missing weapon bone, doesnt seem like a big bug
- crashed looking for chickencoop, i looked and its not on the model folder, it needs to be included
Never seen that. Do you have complete messages ?

Danimal {l Wrote}:- not an error but picking and dropping have become much slower, its not really game breaking but you can tell the difference in speed
Yes, that's because of the server paradigm. Now, a message is sent to the server to ask for pickup and the pickup is performed after receiving the server's ack (that takes at least 1 turn = 0.7s). So that can seem slow. I've in mind some hacks that could be done to speed that up. We only have to decide if it is too slow or if it is acceptable.

Danimal {l Wrote}:- the wall normal maps are not applied, they had it before
- specularity maps are still an eyeshore, but there is no woraround to it, the whole mapping issue needs to be fixed for this to work
I'm not used to 3D enough to really understand that :)
hwoarangmy

Postby paul424 » 21 Aug 2014, 14:04

I also got , crash due to the missing "projectile_model.mesh" model . Excuse me I feel quite sick these days ./..
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Akien » 21 Aug 2014, 14:15

paul424 {l Wrote}:I also got , crash due to the missing "projectile_model.mesh" model . Excuse me I feel quite sick these days ./..

I can't seem to find any reference to "projectile_model" in the code. I can have a better look in the evening, I don't really trust github's search feature, I prefer my good old "ack -il <string>" in my local clone.
Akien

Postby Danimal » 21 Aug 2014, 14:27

Hi Paul, dont worry and just get better, ok? :)

Hwoarangmy, i didnt explain myself well, the chicken are running around the farm as you intended, in fact a bit too fast, maybe you should slow them down a bit?
The issue with the chickencoop is different, you have not used it into the farm (why not??? )but i added it as a bed for some monsters, making the game crash when it wasnt found.

The delay in dropping its not that bad and i would thank if you can fix the editor
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 21 Aug 2014, 16:05

Hi :)

- Editor doesnt work, more like it doesnt load any map, everything is responsive, but i just see black map, i tried to copy a test.level to the old location, still same error

Oops, this is true. The editor looks for the 'levels/Test.level' file in a harcoded way. That's why you have a black screen (when the level isn't found).
Later, adding a menu to select the level to edit will be great, indeed. :)

Err, wait, it might be me but I never saw the chichen coop during my tests, just chickens. I'll check again.

- not an error but picking and dropping have become much slower, its not really game breaking but you can tell the difference in speed

I'd say rather acceptable in lan. But for single-player mode, we should look at optimizing this. If the fix is compatible with the online mode, then it should be added there as well, IMHO.

- the wall normal maps are not applied, they had it before

IMHO the first thing is normal, since it's a pre-requisite to be able to color a texture on them (if you're only speaking of claimed walls).
Is the second one actually about specularity? I do think it comes from hard-coded normal appliance as well.
(But I might be wrong for both) Screenies may help here. :)

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 21 Aug 2014, 16:11

Excuse me I feel quite sick these days ./..

Take care of yourself. We'll have a lot of stuff for you when come back in full health. :)

Should someone pick & drop Paul on the Dormitory rooms?

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 21 Aug 2014, 17:03

paul424 {l Wrote}:I also got , crash due to the missing "projectile_model.mesh" model
? Don't know what it is.

paul424 {l Wrote}:Excuse me I feel quite sick these days ./..
Don't worry we have no due date :) Take care of yourself

Danimal {l Wrote}:maybe you should slow them down a bit?
I will have a look

Danimal {l Wrote}:The issue with the chickencoop is different, you have not used it into the farm (why not??? )but i added it as a bed for some monsters, making the game crash when it wasnt found.
I've had a look and I remember. From your post :
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5528&p=58177&hilit=chicken#p58177
I thought that the "chicken no normal" was an update from "chickenCoop no normal". I had not seen that the names were different so I only download the latest. I will try to use them.

Bertram {l Wrote}:Oops, this is true. The editor looks for the 'levels/Test.level' file in a harcoded way. That's why you have a black screen (when the level isn't found).
Later, adding a menu to select the level to edit will be great, indeed. :)
I've not looked so I might be wrong but I guess that copy/pasting the level selector should almost be enough. If we really want, we can also make a base class for them and use it for both (not sure it is worth the price, through). Don't you think ?

Bertram {l Wrote}:I'd say rather acceptable in lan. But for single-player mode, we should look at optimizing this. If the fix is compatible with the online mode, then it should be added there as well, IMHO.
To speed up picking/dropping/marking tiles, instead of creating a server message that will take 1 turn to be processed, we could check directly in the server gamemap if the action is allowed and send an answer. I think there will be no problem with that since processing client messages happens between 2 updates of the gamemap and after processing server events so I think there should be no regression with that. I will create an issue for that.
hwoarangmy

Postby Bertram » 21 Aug 2014, 20:04

I've not looked so I might be wrong but I guess that copy/pasting the level selector should almost be enough. If we really want, we can also make a base class for them and use it for both (not sure it is worth the price, through). Don't you think ?

Yeah, we can start with a simple menu without any problem. It will be so nice to be able to choose a level name already. :)
But I do think we shouldn't use the same menu for the game and the editor as we may want to specialize the editor menu with options like the number of seats, colors, and so on when creating a new level.

The single skirmish menu can also be improved by showing the map details and so on, but this is for 0.5.0, I guess.
Your turn to tell where I could be wrong. :)

To speed up picking/dropping/marking tiles, instead of creating a server message that will take 1 turn to be processed, we could check directly in the server gamemap if the action is allowed and send an answer. I think there will be no problem with that since processing client messages happens between 2 updates of the gamemap and after processing server events so I think there should be no regression with that. I will create an issue for that.

Sounds fine in respect for the game map and net related code on the server hosting, but what about remote clients? Or maybe were you speaking only about single player games?. Yet, all that will turn marked tiles right away I guess and do you think this might cause bugs as seen in #51 more often for instance. (As I suspect several contradictory tile refresh requests whithin the same turn about this bug btw)
Also, if you were speaking about lan games too, this might open the door for marked/unmarked tile request spam on online games. (I don't care about single player ones for the spam, of course.)

All this is more some semi-educated guesses than a straight conclusions based on facts. So feel free to prove me wrong or tell me anything I could have misinterpreted here.

If you think I'm right for those two points, I'd suggest:
1. See whether we can add log spies when a tile is refreshed/created/destructed more than once per turn, so we can know the root causes, and maybe find a way to prevent that.
2. Maybe add a limit per millisecond on input, so one client can send no more than two or three requests per turn?

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 21 Aug 2014, 21:38

Bertram {l Wrote}:Yeah, we can start with a simple menu without any problem. It will be so nice to be able to choose a level name already. :)
But I do think we shouldn't use the same menu for the game and the editor as we may want to specialize the editor menu with options like the number of seats, colors, and so on when creating a new level.
To be honest, the menu is so simple that I think it would be a waste of energy to share such a small quantity of code.

Bertram {l Wrote}:The single skirmish menu can also be improved by showing the map details and so on, but this is for 0.5.0, I guess.
I agree :)

Bertram {l Wrote}:Sounds fine in respect for the game map and net related code on the server hosting, but what about remote clients? Or maybe were you speaking only about single player games?. Yet, all that will turn marked tiles right away I guess and do you think this might cause bugs as seen in #51 more often for instance. (As I suspect several contradictory tile refresh requests whithin the same turn about this bug btw)
Also, if you were speaking about lan games too, this might open the door for marked/unmarked tile request spam on online games. (I don't care about single player ones for the spam, of course.)
That's not a bad idea. It would have been interesting to try by code to mark a claimedtile (and not dirt) to see if it produces the bug(by sending twice the client message for example). This might be the root of the problem.
You are right, we may come to a point where we send several times the same message. But it is the same as before as the gamemap is also updated.
I think we should give a try (that's the first implementation I had done and believe me, the pickup is as fast as before the multiplayer fix) and we will see if problems come with that) :)
hwoarangmy

Postby Bertram » 21 Aug 2014, 22:49

I think we should give a try (that's the first implementation I had done and believe me, the pickup is as fast as before the multiplayer fix) and we will see if problems come with that) :)

Sure. :) I just wanted to point out potential problems so you're aware of them. :) You're right. Let's make it work, we'll improve later on.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 22 Aug 2014, 00:05

Bertram {l Wrote}:this might cause bugs as seen in #51 more often for instance. (As I suspect several contradictory tile refresh requests whithin the same turn about this bug btw)
I have tried to hack a tile fullness message to see what happens when the client receives a message for a tile digged on a already dug tile. And, as you had cleverly foreseen, I reproduced the ghost tile :)
I could not make the server do that by marking several times a tile, through. It must be something more tricky. But anyway, that means that we can get rid of it by doing some small tests on tile fullness before changing it and that's all :)
hwoarangmy

Postby oln » 22 Aug 2014, 08:37

Bertram {l Wrote}:NEW rolling release!! This one is hot, hot, hot!!

Is it this one I should upload to sourceforge?
oln

Postby Akien » 22 Aug 2014, 08:43

oln {l Wrote}:
Bertram {l Wrote}:NEW rolling release!! This one is hot, hot, hot!!

Is it this one I should upload to sourceforge?

Indeed, thanks! :-)
Akien

Postby oln » 22 Aug 2014, 09:00

Uploaded.
oln

Postby Bertram » 22 Aug 2014, 09:33

@hworangmy:
As said on github, cool to hear. :) Good luck on this one. :)

@Paul:
I also got , crash due to the missing "projectile_model.mesh" model .

As we're unable to find this model at all, nor any reference to it in levels file, we can't do anything without further info.
Have you got the log part about this?
If not, we'll close the corresponding issue as cant reproduce in a week or two.

@oln:
Thanks! :)

Regards, :)
Bertram
VT Moderator