[DONE] OD Windows binaries

Re: [DONE] OD Windows binaries

Postby Bertram » 15 Apr 2014, 15:22

Hi, :)

MCMic {l Wrote}:What happened to the pickaxe mesh wish used to be displayed above selected tiles?

True, now you're speaking about it, I remember some screenshots showing this.
Now, is this desired or is a color sufficient? (If it's working right, I mean.)
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 15 Apr 2014, 15:57

color only, please. that was kind of ugly
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 15 Apr 2014, 15:58

Ok, we agree, then.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 16 Apr 2014, 08:33

Could someone tell me whether at least certain of my patches can be merged back to development/?

Thanks!
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 16 Apr 2014, 13:00

Yes , please merge in , we can always revert it.
I might be silent for some time that was because of my fever for several days which made me to stop thinking on OD programming. Hopefully you didn't get distracted by my rants, sorry for that , sometimes I am harsh due to the slowness of the project , and even my own slowness ....
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 16 Apr 2014, 14:25

Glad to hear you are better Paul, also you should cheer up, lately the project is going faster than ever.
About your rants, well im already used to it ;)
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 17 Apr 2014, 10:48

Hi Paul,

I might be silent for some time that was because of my fever for several days which made me to stop thinking on OD programming.

I hope you're going better, then. It's a good thing you decided to rest a bit and come back refreshed and all. ;)

Hopefully you didn't get distracted by my rants, sorry for that , sometimes I am harsh due to the slowness of the project , and even my own slowness ....

Well, I guess we're both too old to get distracted by that. But there is two things I'd like you to care about.
The first one is to understand I am not your enemy, just a poor spare-time dev like you trying to give a direction to this project and fix a few bugs. We're in the same team so I'm no going to stab you in the back, right? ;) Just don't feel offended when our opinions aren't the same, it's a normal thing that can happen, right?
And don't feel offended when I comment your work, we're all humans and we've got the right to do mistakes. That's also a normal thing.

The second thing is about respect. I'm not speaking about yourself in particular. But using a negative or lazy tone, or ranting, when speaking about other's work or pushing broken stuff is rude.
No team can live on with that. I say that for you, but also for everyone else, including me. I know one can be tired and angry from time to time, but in your case, we all can feel the frustration in most of your comments and it's toxic for this project, for instance. I repeat: we're not enemies, but we're not your underlings.
Also, as a team, and especially for a seasoned dev like you, you should show more discipline in your code and commits, when speaking about code and team review guidelines in the development/ branch.
I mean you can do whatever you want in your integration branch, it's here for that, right? But just try not to break the common codebase, ok? There is no rush in pushing code as there is no deadline, anyway.

So, please, try to work on that, and I'm sure we're going to make something great together someday. :)

Yes , please merge in , we can always revert it.

According to my comments above, I'd say that I'd rather not push my commits if it's to see them reverted. Could you at least have a quick look at the changes and tell me whether you see something?

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 17 Apr 2014, 19:02

Your branch runs and compiles just fine, you can push it .
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 19 Apr 2014, 11:54

If you could restore my mouse hooks I would be glad .
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 20 Apr 2014, 17:32

Hi :)

I've pushed all the latest patches + a small crash fix.

If you could restore my mouse hooks I would be glad .

We already discussed that, right?
Unfortunately, if I understand correctly, you want me to readd the screen scrolling when going on screen borders and mouse tilting and rolling when using ctrl.
But I'm against those features since the mouse scrolling was annoying when playing, and the ctrl+mouse dragging was unreliable and too sensitive.
That's why I removed them in the first place.

Why do you want them back?
If you have got a good reason for those features, I'd ask them to be an option disabled by default.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 20 Apr 2014, 21:11

Hi, :)

Today on my clone, while doing cleanups, I ended up streamlining a bit how creatures are loaded, fixing those two main points:
- The creature stats are correctly set up when you're setting their class.
I'm quite sure now, creatures have got the right HP/mana set from config and per level.
As a first noticeable effect, you'll see that kobolds get quicker and quicker (their move speed wasn't correctly set up before.)

To definitely fix the instantly dying creature problem, I do think it's about balancing their stats:
For now, every creature has got 5HP and 5 mana at level 1 and gains 5 each levels.
Since most of those creatures will do between 5 and 9 point of damage without any weapon. they will instantly die on level 1.
(I also need to check whether sleeping actually restore their HP, btw.)

I guess you should go into the creatures.def file and tweak the HP, and mana per level of each creatures.

- I also added the tile passability parameter in the creature definition file. This means that dragons and hornets will now have a flyableTile passability,
making them able to go through lava and water, while the others stay on ground.

While I'm on it, and because it's rather easy, I'll now add support to dig claim tiles based on the dig and dance rate of creatures, and no more if they are workers or not.
This will later permit to have dwarf diggers.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Elvano » 20 Apr 2014, 21:19

Is there any easy way for 3D modelers to add their new creatures for testing purposes as far you can tell?
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Bertram » 20 Apr 2014, 22:06

Hi Elvano :)

For creatures, it's rather easy:
Just change the creature mesh name in the levels/creatures.def file for any creature:
E.g.:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
Wyvern   WeakFighter   Wyvern.mesh <--

Be sure to backup and to keep using actual tabs as separators.

For the materials, you'll have to add those in the materials/scripts folder, and the textures in the materials/textures folder.
You can copy another creature material file and simply adapt the textures names there.

I just made sleeping heal creatures slowly, and made them gpt sleeping when they are wounded.
Workers will also heal naturally since they can't sleep.

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Elvano » 20 Apr 2014, 22:09

Bertram {l Wrote}:Be sure to backup and to keep using actual tabs as separators.

That might be why it wouldn't work for me earlier. ;o

Though, does it really fit in in the 'levels' directory?
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Bertram » 20 Apr 2014, 22:38

Though, does it really fit in in the 'levels' directory?

That's another story. ;)
I do think we should create a config/ folder where we'd put this file, along with others where we could store the textures used for each biomes,
the model used for each rooms, ...
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 21 Apr 2014, 17:33

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
18:30:52: Creating viewport on target 'OpenDungeons 0.4.9', rendering from camera 'NULL', relative dimensions 4L: 0 T: 0 W: 1 H: 1 Z-order: 0
18:30:52: Viewport for camera 'NULL', actual dimensions 4L: 0 T: 0 W: 1280 H: 950
18:30:52: Viewport for camera 'NULL', actual dimensions 4L: 0 T: 0 W: 1280 H: 950
[b]18:30:53: entities created
18:30:53: Can't start local game: There were no available seats.[/b]
18:30:55: *** Deinitializing Console ***
18:30:55: *** Destroying Input Manager ***

I cannot start the newest development branch , it is missing the proper level/* files, the SVN does't contain them neither.
EDIT : BERTRAM : OK IT WORKS :)
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 21 Apr 2014, 19:06

Oops. It should be fixed now. Could you tell me if it's ok?

Btw, I couldn't resist working the Keeper AI and added support for basic room building and digging to gold.
It's still basic but it's fun seeing the AI dig things around. :)
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 21 Apr 2014, 19:11

From that to attacking us there is just a small step :cool: , nice work
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 23 Apr 2014, 11:05

Bertram, this guy managed quite well the aspect ratio of walls, he stopped being active before you joined us, but you must know about him:

Agentkeeper:

youtu.be/K9ETtko4YrM

He also managed a very good atmosphere, is demo feels pretty "solid"
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Elvano » 24 Apr 2014, 11:06

Agent Keeper has got the right tilesize while for some reason we tend to hold on to 1/4th of it.
If we would finally start to use the correct tilesize you may find that the wall isn't that over-heightened as you may think.
I've mentioned this multiple times before, but sometimes I really get the feeling I might as well talk to a wall.

Another thing that may cause the illusion of extra height is the distance between the wall and the rock behind it.
I do not recall if Skorpio meant it to be this way, but personally I don't think we ought to use "walls" but rather fortify the surrounding rock/dirt.

Are walls a waste? Not at all. But keep them as a barricade which the player can choose to set up.
It may or may not, but as it is now they're certainly giving the illussion of taking up more space from your room.

Every room has a different wall with features specificly for their purpose (example: bookcases for a library)
We can choose to simply use a wall texture on the dirt side for many of them, though this would mean there is an extra factor to where to and not to place a wall on top of what texture to use.

Where does fortified rock/dirt differ from a wall in my context?
Well to put it simple, the fortification can be a wall build in an already present objects, in this case being the dirt/rock.

This technicly means that the wall is not seperated from the dirt tile (and thus has no spacing between it) and uses only one layer of bricks on the side the land is claimed by you.

Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Danimal » 24 Apr 2014, 11:39

I have trouble following you there, what i understood:

- A fortified wall shouldnt have all its sides reinforced, only the visible dug side
- Building rooms next it change the texture depending on room built (that can be done with Decals)

I posted this a while ago, and i still think copying it its the better option for our walls issue:

http://alphaprimesaviour.deviantart.com ... 593&qo=147
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Elvano » 24 Apr 2014, 12:00

Danimal {l Wrote}:- A fortified wall shouldnt have all its sides reinforced, only the visible dug side

This is one of the things I did say, yes.

Danimal {l Wrote}:- Building rooms next it change the texture depending on room built (that can be done with Decals)

My point here is that rooms sometime have a need for a different dept than the bricks (which I believe to be modeled in the wall)
So as it is now you'll have the game to decide place a wall or place a other model with wall texture.

Danimal {l Wrote}:I posted this a while ago, and i still think copying it its the better option for our walls issue:
http://alphaprimesaviour.deviantart.com ... 593&qo=147

I've seen that post , and this is kind of the thing I had in mind except for... well I think you wanted to keep everything as straight as this chap's work.
And when you for example encapsulate the drsytals or gold it'll look very fake because it's a natural object appearing in a perfect square shape.

But I must stress once again, that we need to fix our tile-size first.
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby oln » 24 Apr 2014, 15:38

Are things really that small, or is it just that because the tiles are super-tall, everything else looks small?

Maybe bertram or paul424 could change the scaling parameter and make the walls shorter to see how things look with more cubic walls.
oln

Postby Elvano » 24 Apr 2014, 16:13

oln {l Wrote}:Are things really that small, or is it just that because the tiles are super-tall, everything else looks small?

Either the tiles are too small or everything else is too big.
Which one would you pick? =p

oln {l Wrote}:make the walls shorter to see how things look with more cubic walls.

The size is not only about cubic walls.
Right now it's as if we use scale n for the walls and scale 2n for the additional models (and perhaps the height of the walls).
you would only bring down the wall height to n so it matches the other wall dimensions but leave all the rest to 2n.
If we were to convert it to RL measurements a chap like myself would barely be able to fit through the small corridors we're creating now, let alone fight or run through them.

I like your idea of previewing some changes, though =)

EDIT: We're poluting poor Bertram's thread D;
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Bertram » 27 Apr 2014, 10:34

Hi guys, :)

Don't worry about virtual pollution. It's great to have such feedback.

I'm not sure I followed you correctly, but:
- A fortified wall shouldnt have all its sides reinforced, only the visible dug side

This would require specialized claimed walls meshes with four sub-materials, so I can change each wall texture independently, ... or multitexture them, as I think Elvano meant by speaking about decals. (Note that I still need to figure a few things to achieve proper bump-mapping and correct multi-texturing.)

As for the room borders, note that we can place objects against walls rather easily, by simply detecting a claimed walls next to the room tile and create the object, like a library shelf. As I'm still in the process of cleaning up the code and am at the room class level, I'll fix the room object placement while on it, so you can for instance create more forges without seeing the forge object placed on one another multiple times.

Making the AI attack? I guess it will come. ;)

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator