Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby Flipflop » 25 Jan 2013, 14:37

Skorpio wrote:The new video looks great. Of course the lighting and claimed walls need to be improved, but the game already creates a nice DK-feeling. BTW I think the walls could be a bit higher, maybe I should try to rescale them.


I Plan to make the Imps smaller when I let the other creatures run around the Dungeon, so maybe then it looks okay then. Should also upload an HD Video someday,the Game looks better then shown in the Video.

Already workin on the Playable "Demo" and the Publish-The-Source Plan. Some issues with the Maven dependencies from JMonkey3 (because they don´t use maven....*grml* ^^).
User avatar
Flipflop
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 19 Dec 2012, 13:31
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby charlie » 26 Jan 2013, 01:37

Hey flipflop; a Maven user eh.

From an academic point of view, I'll point you in the direction of EBuild, which my brother (a very clever guy) has written because he feels Maven/Ant have issues (see articles / (draft) "Maven: the bad parts").
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
User avatar
charlie
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1520
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 11:56
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby Flipflop » 26 Jan 2013, 16:38

Danimal wrote:Its looking pretty nice, once you give a claiming animation to Imps and update the claiming sound it will look even better. I see you also added the creature types to the gui; only bad thing, the wall textures are still the same than the ground and the digging sound, sounds like its made in a big empty space with no ground (or like a terrain landslide) making it shorter might help perhaps. Anyways, those are just trivial things rigth now, development is more important. Good work there.

Once i have ready the doors and traps models i would be happy to see them here, my "adventurer" model as well.
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2903&start=75#p38082


what do you mean exactly with the Sounds? Yeah I added the creature types to the GUI...but as you can see i am not a good renderer....maybe some artists like to make some better Pictures for the Gui? ^^

About the textures: Wall and Ground should be the same, according to the fact its the same material because they just claimed "out" of the wall...or not? :)

Yeah, I would like to use your Adventurer...but as opponent i guess...sorry for that :)


charlie wrote:Hey flipflop; a Maven user eh.

From an academic point of view, I'll point you in the direction of EBuild, which my brother (a very clever guy) has written because he feels Maven/Ant have issues (see articles / (draft) "Maven: the bad parts").


Wow, that Project looks very very good. I dont have the time and mood yet to move our hole project setup from Maven to something else (also because I found a good solution for the jmonkey3-no-maven prob). But i will keep on eye on that, really cool Brother you have there :)
User avatar
Flipflop
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 19 Dec 2012, 13:31
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby Julius » 26 Jan 2013, 17:45

Flipflop wrote:About the textures: Wall and Ground should be the same, according to the fact its the same material because they just claimed "out" of the wall...or not? :)


False logic really... or do the walls in an mine look the same as the floor? It is a matter of gravity mostly, the the floor can stay at it is, but it would be nice to have it more flat for easy walting etc. The walls however (and especially the roof, but that is invisible in a DK like game) needs to be protected against collapse.
“You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete” - Buckminster Fuller
User avatar
Julius
Moderator
 
Posts: 1418
Joined: 06 Dec 2009, 14:02

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby Flipflop » 29 Jan 2013, 03:20

So, finally i could spend some Time in-a row on the Project.

Pushing it forward as fast as possible. Next Months are some deadlines, examinations and paper Stuff, just the usual Life as a Student. So I have to use the Time efficiently.

I am right now uploading another Video.

upload.jpg
Screenshot


As you can see on the Screen i made a Test with lots of Creatures, works pretty well and fast.
http://youtu.be/jCESnFuyTn4

About the Video:
- I used the Orc from the Source, is that your updated Version you mean @Skorpio? The Animation Export is little bit buggy.
- In the end you can see the nice Water-Mirror-Effects.
- I made the Imps work 3x faster just for the Video. Of course they will work slower in the Game later ^^
- You can watch it now in 1080p Version, to see the grafics better
- You can see a working creature counter in my "quick n dirty" gui.
- I made an red text in the right top corner to see the objects name the curser is pointing. Later cool to show properties of objects like in dk2 without clicking
- What do you think about the blue transparent selection Helper? Its only shown when pointing over "digable" ressources.
- If you watch close enough you can see that one of the imps dont want to work today (bug that occurs sometimes, dont had the time to find the reason yet). ^^
-


------------------------------

I have to mention that I already had a "playable" Version in 2010, with some Basic Gameplay possible like mining Gold, spend Gold to Build buildings and get more creatures.
But that was in 2D. Here you can see how it looked ^^ We made a Poster about the small Project:
DungeonAgentPoster-1.pdf
Poster
(785.9 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
(in german sorry).

We developed that time in German, so Variables, Comments and so on are not suitable for you. There were also lots of changes and improvements on the Jadex framework. In 2011/2012 I developed the 3d support for Jadex and wrote my thesis about it.

So now I refractored a tones of Code at the Weekend from the old Project and use a new kind of agents our BDIv3 Agents. We developed very performant and easier to code (annotations instead of xml).
All the creatures there besides the IMPS are BDIv3 Agents. I developed them today. They have only a Perfom Patrol-GOAL until now, (to they walk to random positions), but I also workin on them, its kind of fun ^^.

I already decided to move the AgentKeeper Project to GoogleCode. When the basis-refractoring is done (in 1 or 2 weeks, depends how well the "lerning" for my examinations goes).

But then I am totally ready it to make it to an FOSS Project. We´ll see whats possible in the Future. :)

- Philip
User avatar
Flipflop
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 19 Dec 2012, 13:31
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby Julius » 29 Jan 2013, 09:45

Really nice, and let this become one of the premier FOSS game projects then! :)

btw.: That dungeon heart looks really strange, is there some problem with the texture or why is it so black?
“You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete” - Buckminster Fuller
User avatar
Julius
Moderator
 
Posts: 1418
Joined: 06 Dec 2009, 14:02

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby Flipflop » 29 Jan 2013, 09:49

yes there are some Issues, see it more like an Placeholder. Too many "Baustellen" (German for: "construction areas") so that has really low Priority atm. Can´t wait to Work in a Team, so more small Issues can be fixed :)
User avatar
Flipflop
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 19 Dec 2012, 13:31
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby Skorpio » 29 Jan 2013, 23:00

Cool new video. The performance seems to be pretty good. How high is the poly count and framerate in the video? :)

I think this is the newest version of the orc, but the animation speed in Open Dungeons is slower.
User avatar
Skorpio
OD Moderator
 
Posts: 771
Joined: 05 Dec 2009, 18:28

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby Flipflop » 29 Jan 2013, 23:29

Skorpio wrote:Cool new video. The performance seems to be pretty good. How high is the poly count and framerate in the video? :)

I think this is the newest version of the orc, but the animation speed in Open Dungeons is slower.


ok...yeah, about the speed, i changed some speeds dynamically in my code because they look better for me (personal taste)
User avatar
Flipflop
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 19 Dec 2012, 13:31
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby Flipflop » 30 Jan 2013, 11:16

Hey Scorpio, to answere to the Polycount.

I made two Tests on my Computer here at Work. I would like to support a low and a high-Version of the Game. I also have to change the minimap, until now it just renderes the hole Szene in the small Area. Its big TOTO to create an abstract Szene only with colored Blocks or something like that to reduce the Polycount.

So. At home i have an high end Computer. Its not meaningful to use him for Framerate-Tests. The Computere here has an stupid NVIDIA Quadro 600 Card. Not very good for Game-Engines (its a more for Professional use for Modelling or CAD stuff).

I made two Screens with the Stats on at a Resolution of 1920x1200, so bit more than HD. And I Zoom totally Out to force rendering of the hole Scene. (not sZene ^^)

First is without Minimap and Without WaterEffects. (The Water mirrors the hole Szene (Also TODO to optimize that) for Mirror effect, so also doubles the Polycount):
screen_low.JPG
Low Settings


Second one with WaterEffects and Minimap (you cant see the Map because of overlaying Stats ^^):
screen_high.JPG
High Settings


- Philip
User avatar
Flipflop
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 19 Dec 2012, 13:31
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby Flipflop » 30 Jan 2013, 16:44

I Played a little bit with the Light Effects, made the Light Flat and set the Ambient Color 2x Higher for the Ground-Plates.

Now it really looks more like in a Dungeon because everything else besides the Area are is Darker.

Please give me Feedback if it looks better or not ;)

effect.JPG
Darker Dungeon
User avatar
Flipflop
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 19 Dec 2012, 13:31
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby Julius » 30 Jan 2013, 18:46

looks definitely better.
“You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete” - Buckminster Fuller
User avatar
Julius
Moderator
 
Posts: 1418
Joined: 06 Dec 2009, 14:02

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby Julius » 30 Jan 2013, 21:48

Hmm a thought... why not make it more dependant on the view cone, or implement a "fog of war" style darkening?
“You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete” - Buckminster Fuller
User avatar
Julius
Moderator
 
Posts: 1418
Joined: 06 Dec 2009, 14:02

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby Flipflop » 31 Jan 2013, 11:43

@Julius of Course that would be Amazing....but dont have the time now to implement that. When its on GoogleCode you are official invited to push that forward :)

I made a new small short Video:
- Shows the new LightSetup in Action

- The Minimap is now Rotating with the Camera. Is that cool or should the Map always be fixed?
(Anyway I am working on a "box" that shows the active Visible Area on the Minimap and can be "moved" to have an other option to move the camera).

- Finished implemted the Mana Geration. You can see it in the top-left Corner: The Mana, and the Number of Tiles the player owns (the Green Number).
The more Tiles he owns the more Mana. You can that value changing when the Imps claim more Tiles(like in the new Video).

- And some small IMP test with 100x faster Working Time(Walking & Working) for Imps. As you can see they have small issues yet, 5 blocks I had to click again ^^

- So Long, Philip

http://youtu.be/04bZbuMBJN4
User avatar
Flipflop
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 19 Dec 2012, 13:31
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby Skorpio » 01 Feb 2013, 20:48

Haha, those crazy kobolds must be on drugs. :D The lighting looks a lot better now, but there's still room for improvements. I think the light should come mainly from torches on the walls or buildings. Also, it would be great if we could find a solution for texture splatting to break the repetitiveness of the textures. Once I tried to make variations of the dirt texture (same edges but variations in the middle of the tile), but it still looked too repetitive.
User avatar
Skorpio
OD Moderator
 
Posts: 771
Joined: 05 Dec 2009, 18:28

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby michalg » 02 Feb 2013, 08:14

Flipflop wrote:I already decided to move the AgentKeeper Project to GoogleCode. When the basis-refractoring is done (in 1 or 2 weeks, depends how well the "lerning" for my examinations goes).


What about Github? I think it will be easier for other ppl to contribute / play with their own branches.

Btw, really great job :D
michalg
 
Posts: 53
Joined: 29 Mar 2010, 19:17

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby Flipflop » 02 Feb 2013, 15:37

So defenetly next week the code is opened, still in googlecode because we have experience there.

You can play the demo now here http://www.activecomponents.org/download/
Download the agentkeeper zip extract it and run the jar, just need java installed
Please remember the scene is still rendered twice
because of the minimap. Also its not testet jet on mac or linux

Please help me by post your fps When you maximize the window. Fps is found under stats in the options button or hit f5. Please post you os and spec and screen resolution, also post if it dont run at all. Make sure you have the newest driver.

Philip
User avatar
Flipflop
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 19 Dec 2012, 13:31
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby Skorpio » 02 Feb 2013, 22:04

Er ... I don't see an agentkeeper.zip. Is that the correct link?
User avatar
Skorpio
OD Moderator
 
Posts: 771
Joined: 05 Dec 2009, 18:28

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby Flipflop » 02 Feb 2013, 22:13

User avatar
Flipflop
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 19 Dec 2012, 13:31
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby Flipflop » 02 Feb 2013, 22:14

Its not on every server jet, So i think the dl i really slow
User avatar
Flipflop
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 19 Dec 2012, 13:31
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby Skorpio » 03 Feb 2013, 00:32

The game seems to run pretty well most of the time. Good job. I get mostly between 30 and 40+ fps and my PC is rather old, but sometimes the rate drops to 12-15 fps for a few milliseconds. Especially when I'm scrolling it stutters a little bit. Rotating the camera seems to work better.

Edit: OK, when I let the kobold dig and claim the frame rate drops significantly (around 8-15 fps, 6 fps was the worst yet).
User avatar
Skorpio
OD Moderator
 
Posts: 771
Joined: 05 Dec 2009, 18:28

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby Flipflop » 03 Feb 2013, 01:37

Hey thanks for your Feedback! Cool, you said you have an old pc so I am happy you can let it run. What do you have for a graphic card? I think the Claim-Dusty Effect is the limiter there when you claim.
User avatar
Flipflop
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 19 Dec 2012, 13:31
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby paul424 » 03 Feb 2013, 14:16

Could someone explain , how I can extract from that Scorpio's New Tile's Set ?
User avatar
paul424
OD Moderator
 
Posts: 583
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 13:54

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby Flipflop » 03 Feb 2013, 14:36

paul424 wrote:Could someone explain , how I can extract from that Scorpio's New Tile's Set ?


you realy complaining that you have to wait for the code and sources couple of days? are you serious?

*edit:* Sorry. I think you can´t extract it from the Jar. Its already converted in .j3o. But I am right now uploading the Sources to GoogleCode. I think you mean the renamed Tiles or? For the Binarycode? Because the Tilesets itself are at OGA or in the OD Sources too.
Last edited by Flipflop on 03 Feb 2013, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Flipflop
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 19 Dec 2012, 13:31
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Another Dungeon Keeper Project

Postby charlie » 03 Feb 2013, 15:09

Flipflop wrote:you realy complaining that you have to wait for the code and sources couple of days? are you serious?

Er... you read that as a complaint? Are you serious?

I read it as Paul not knowing where to get Skorpio's tileset.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
User avatar
charlie
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1520
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 11:56
Location: Manchester, UK

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests