Getting our communication right

Getting our communication right

Postby Elvano » 20 Dec 2014, 15:25

Hey all,

Since OpenDungeons is nearing a release which features a multiplayer modus and thus enables people to really explore the project I've been thinking about our communication channels.
OpenDungeons has seen many ideas, methods and contributors pass, and thus also had several communication channels of which some still exist.
The plan is to chart these channels, (re)gain control over them and utilize them to let the people who've been interested in the project before that OD is very much alive and has progressed a great deal.

The channels I know of are:
  • Website (under our management)
  • Wiki (under our management)
  • SourceForge profile page (under our management)
  • IRC channel (under our management)
  • Youtube channel (under our management))
  • Openhub.net Profile (updatable)
  • http://www.lgdb.org/game/opendungeons (under our management))

If you know of any other existing channels that belong to the project, please do let me know. I would also appreciate it very much if you would not create any new channels for the time being.

Kind Regards,
Elvano~

P.S. One channel I didn't mention is the "repository". We have a git at SF, a git at Github and a svn at SF. Can anyone please explain to me what the correct repositories are?

P.S.S. The website is temporarily down due to some technical issues. I am currently trying to resolve the issue, so please do not scare up when you happen to see a different page.
Last edited by Elvano on 11 Jan 2015, 14:52, edited 3 times in total.
Elvano~
Elvano

Re: Getting our communication right

Postby Akien » 20 Dec 2014, 16:03

As per the repositories:
- SVN at SF is the old assets and assets source repository => We probably need a way to make it appear clearly there, maybe by editing the README?
- Git at SF is the old code repository => We probably need a way to make it appear clearly there, maybe by editing the README?

The current development repositories are on GitHub, which provides awesome features that are lacking in SF:
- Code + assets repository (we merged the two, so now it can be compiled and ran out of the box) at https://github.com/OpenDungeons/OpenDungeons
- Assets sources at https://github.com/OpenDungeons/OpenDun ... dia-source

There is also an OpenDungeons entry on Open Hub: https://www.openhub.net/p/opendungeons
It seems anyone can update the information, so I registered an account and updated it a bit. I added the github repo a couple of days ago and they are now syncing it with their internal database, so it should reflect the current development status in another couple of days I guess.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby Elvano » 20 Dec 2014, 16:20

Akien {l Wrote}:As per the repositories:
- SVN at SF is the old assets and assets source repository => We probably need a way to make it appear clearly there, maybe by editing the README?
- Git at SF is the old code repository => We probably need a way to make it appear clearly there, maybe by editing the README?

I was thinking, what if we check the SF Git repo and salvage what is salvageable. Then we can just drop the old repository.
As far as the assets go, since they are already included within github they are no longer required to have a separate repository. However I find it to be important that we still have a place where people can find our artwork, concepts and original models (ex. blend files) and textures.
This doesn't have to be a (svn) repository. Let me know what you lot think about it.

Akien {l Wrote}:There is also an OpenDungeons entry on Open Hub: https://www.openhub.net/p/opendungeons
It seems anyone can update the information, so I registered an account and updated it a bit.

I would have totally missed that one out. Thanks
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Akien » 20 Dec 2014, 16:27

Elvano {l Wrote}:I was thinking, what if we check the SF Git repo and salvage what is salvageable. Then we can just drop the old repository.

Basically the GitHub repo was imported from the SF git repo, so everything that it in the SF git repo should be on GitHub (including commit history, etc.).
The Git repo on SF could indeed be dropped, unless we want to keep it for reference or for any other reason.

Elvano {l Wrote}:As far as the assets go, since they are already included within github they are no longer required to have a separate repository. However I find it to be important that we still have a place where people can find our artwork, concepts and original models (ex. blend files) and textures.
This doesn't have to be a (svn) repository. Let me know what you lot think about it.

Well as I pointed out, the assets are now in the main repo, and the assets source (e.g. blend files, lossless music, etc.) are in OpenDungeons-media-source.
So the SVN repo does not serve any purpose anymore either. The only difference is that we did not import its history in the OpenDungeons-media-source (we discussed it, but it didn't seem worth the trouble). So I guess we could drop it too.
Akien

Postby hwoarangmy » 20 Dec 2014, 21:25

Updating the souceforge sources / binaries would be cool because sourceforge is the most visible with google. If we trust what is written, OD has been downloaded 68 times this week. And that's a shame it is not the last release...

Concerning the sources, Akien already said what has to be said:
- The currently used sources for code/medias are on github.
- Sources have been transferred from sourceforge to github keeping history so there should be no loss by removing sourceforge sources
- Now, source code embeds the binary medias (the meshes, not the blenders) so downloading the media repository is not required to compile/launch sources
- We kept another repository for medias because it is pretty big and most of it would take take to download for nothing when compiling sources
hwoarangmy

Postby Elvano » 20 Dec 2014, 21:52

hwoarangmy {l Wrote}:Updating the souceforge sources / binaries would be cool because sourceforge is the most visible with google. If we trust what is written, OD has been downloaded 68 times this week. And that's a shame it is not the last release...

The binaries have been updated this morning and I gave Bertram access to the file management. Hereby you are informed of this, Bertram. ;3
I don't think it's very maintainable to keep two repositories of source code up to date, though. But regardless of us keeping the sources there, our project page will remain.
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby hwoarangmy » 20 Dec 2014, 23:18

Elvano {l Wrote}:I don't think it's very maintainable to keep two repositories of source code up to date, though
We agree :) And that's why we didn't try. Sourceforge sources have not been updated since we moved to github
hwoarangmy

Postby Akien » 21 Dec 2014, 12:30

So the remaining question is: should we close down the SVN and Git repos on SourceForge?
Akien

Postby Elvano » 21 Dec 2014, 22:08

Strange, my last reply didn't get through...

Well, let me try again.
Elvano {l Wrote}:Uhm, can anyone please explain to me what the gitorious repo is: https://gitorious.org/opendungeons ?
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Bertram » 22 Dec 2014, 14:22

Hi there, :)

Elvano {l Wrote}:The binaries have been updated this morning and I gave Bertram access to the file management. Hereby you are informed of this, Bertram. ;3

Thanks Elvano, it will be cool not to use a personal dropbox anymore. :)

Elvano {l Wrote}:Uhm, can anyone please explain to me what the gitorious repo is: https://gitorious.org/opendungeons ?

It's a backup, updated on my personal whims. But in any case, it should a perfect mirror of what is on github. (I mean without custom commits at all.)
Why? Because life has taught me never put my all my eggs in the same basket. ;)
I didn't use the SF one since SF doesn't answer 1 time on 3, and often breaks when cloning/pushing on it.

The same can unfortunately said about the Wiki, as every 2 times I try to open a page there, it is resulting in a timeout.

I'm on building the RC1 + D3D9 renderer support atm. Hopefully, you guys will be able to test the D3D renderer and tell me whether it's broken for everyone or not.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 22 Dec 2014, 16:06

Ok, the new Win32 binary has been uploaded directly on Sourceforge without the D3D9 renderer, as discussed with hwoarangmy.
I've also updated the file readme, using the one from github.

Funnily, Sourceforge still thinks the 2014.08.20 release is the latest. (???)

I'll revert my addition of the D3D9 renderer on my PR. Once it will be merged, I'll retag the source on github.
Next release is imminent! :D
Last edited by Bertram on 22 Dec 2014, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby eugeneloza » 22 Dec 2014, 17:29

Bertram {l Wrote}:Funnily, Sourceforge still thinks the 2014.08.20 release is the latest. (???)

Latest release should be set in the 'files' control panel as default:
filerelease.jpg

All 'recent' defaults will be overridden by a new one for the selected system.
eugeneloza

Postby Bertram » 22 Dec 2014, 19:11

Thanks a lot for the tip!! :)

This is now fixed!!
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Elvano » 22 Dec 2014, 20:43

Are you sure all the branches from SF got ported to github and no contributions to them were made after?
If this is the case and nobody objects (and thus is able to found his/her objections), I propose that we indeed close these repositories.

To get back to our other channels, nobody got access to the youtube account? Know any other OpenDungeons profiles out there?
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Bertram » 22 Dec 2014, 21:21

Are you sure all the branches from SF got ported to github and no contributions to them were made after?
If this is the case and nobody objects (and thus is able to found his/her objections), I propose that we indeed close these repositories.

AFAIK, everything has been ported toward the new repositories except one thing. (And certain things have been removed from the new repo since then, btw.)
Some of Paul's work is still there, in his fork. I do think none of this work will be kept or accepted, though, and normally, his own fork shouldn't get deleted.

Thus, I think we can delete them without any counter thought. But I'm no admin.
I would also change the project status from pre-alpha to alpha.

To get back to our other channels, nobody got access to the youtube account? Know any other OpenDungeons profiles out there?

I sincerely think we're exhaustive. :)

best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby oln » 23 Dec 2014, 00:02

I have the login for the youtube account, but I'm not at home so I can't access it until January. Paul424 has it too but I don't think he'll be able to log in due to region blocking.
oln

Postby Bertram » 28 Dec 2014, 00:39

@Elvano: Do you know whether we could add some news already? They are in preparation there: viewtopic.php?p=61743#p61743

Could you tell us what is going on there and what you have to do to fix the website? (No rush, just curious.)
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Akien » 05 Jan 2015, 11:56

Akien {l Wrote}:There is also an OpenDungeons entry on Open Hub: https://www.openhub.net/p/opendungeons
It seems anyone can update the information, so I registered an account and updated it a bit. I added the github repo a couple of days ago and they are now syncing it with their internal database, so it should reflect the current development status in another couple of days I guess.

The commits from the github repo have now been mirrored on Open Hub, it provides some nice statistics: https://www.openhub.net/p/opendungeons
I added a couple more alias that haven't been taken into account yet (Danimal696 -> Danimal ; unknown -> hwoarangmy ; Rémi Verschelde -> Akien), but it's relatively up-to-date.
Akien

Postby hwoarangmy » 05 Jan 2015, 13:26

Akien {l Wrote}:unknown -> hwoarangmy
Nice alias :)
hwoarangmy

Postby Akien » 08 Jan 2015, 11:19

Another communication page: http://www.lgdb.org/game/opendungeons
It was created by paul last year, and I updated it recently with info about the 0.4.9 release and new screenshots and videos.

We really need a good "showcase" video for the next milestone IMO :)
Akien

Postby Elvano » 11 Jan 2015, 14:54

Akien {l Wrote}:Another communication page: http://www.lgdb.org/game/opendungeons
It was created by paul last year, and I updated it recently with info about the 0.4.9 release and new screenshots and videos.

Added to the list.

We also have retaken control over our IRC channel and after 5y of waiting our channel's topic finally has been up-to-date again.

P.S. How many of you will be at FOSDEM this year?
Yes, I'm also looking at you, Bertram ;o
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Bertram » 12 Jan 2015, 17:46

Hey, :)

Weirdly, I missed all the posts updates of the past few days, but here I am. :)

We also have retaken control over our IRC channel and after 5y of waiting our channel's topic finally has been up-to-date again.

Cool, :)

P.S. How many of you will be at FOSDEM this year?
Yes, I'm also looking at you, Bertram ;o

For everyone:
FOSDEM will take place at the ULB Solbosch Campus, Brussels, Belgium, Europe, Earth.
31 January & 1 February 2015

Thanks for openly inviting me, Elvano. :) That said, I don't think I will make it this year due to a lot of random RL stuff.
Perhaps next year. :)
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 17 Feb 2015, 11:42

Hey there,

Just to say that I updated a bit the OpenHub OpenDungeons webpage with forums, wiki, and issue tracker links.
I also fixed the code location which was lacking the .git in its url:
The project activity should be fixed asap by their commit parser.

https://www.openhub.net/p/opendungeons
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby oln » 27 Feb 2015, 22:26

I have the login for the youtube account, but I'm not at home so I can't access it until January. Paul424 has it too but I don't think he'll be able to log in due to region blocking.

So if anyone has videos they want to upload, feel free to contact me (my computer is too crappy to make anything myself). I am a bit unsure if I can easily give someone else access due to region blocking, but I can at least upload stuff if someone needs me to.
oln