Collaboration with "War For The Overworld"

Re: Collaboration with "War For The Overworld"

Postby adrix89 » 06 Apr 2010, 11:23

What about if he makes normal maps from the high poly and release the normal maps with the low poly ones?
That way it would be no problem
adrix89

Postby svenskmand » 06 Apr 2010, 13:10

adrix89 {l Wrote}:What about if he makes normal maps from the high poly and release the normal maps with the low poly ones?

It would as the normal maps cannot be changed.

I do not think that we should use content that is not 100% editable and free content (as in free speech - GPLv3+ or CC-BY-SA or a less restrictive license as in more freedom).

Also I do not see why he would not release the high poly versions, but only the low poly versions, why only go half the way? As I see it we would not be able to use those contributions for anything :S
Last edited by svenskmand on 07 Apr 2010, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby A New Room » 06 Apr 2010, 13:27

svenskmand {l Wrote}:
adrix89 {l Wrote}:What about if he makes normal maps from the high poly and release the normal maps with the low poly ones?

It would as the normal maps cannot be changed.

I do not think that we should use content that is not 100% editable and free content (as in free speech - GPLv3+ or CC-BY-SA or a less restrictive license as in more freedom).

Also I do not see why he would not release the high poly versions, but only the low poly versions, why only go half the way? As I see it we would be able to use those contributions for anything :S

Because he made them? If I had made such things I would only allow people to see them through about 5 inch of bulletproof glass :P

More importantly why do you need the high poly models? No engine in the world can support even 4 things with 1 million+ polys! :?
Mentor: "This land would give you a case of truly terrifying flatulence if you were eat it…"
A New Room

Postby svenskmand » 06 Apr 2010, 13:37

A New Room {l Wrote}:More importantly why do you need the high poly models? No engine in the world can support even 4 things with 1 million+ polys! :?

As I have already said we would need them to make new normal maps if we need to change the model.

A New Room {l Wrote}:Because he made them? If I had made such things I would only allow people to see them through about 5 inch of bulletproof glass :P

Then I do not think open source is the right thing for you!
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby A New Room » 06 Apr 2010, 16:35

That is why I am no 3D modeler :D

By the way if I were doing the mentor voice acting, would I have to do a different voice?
Mentor: "This land would give you a case of truly terrifying flatulence if you were eat it…"
A New Room

Postby dotted » 06 Apr 2010, 16:46

A New Room {l Wrote}:That is why I am no 3D modeler :D

By the way if I were doing the mentor voice acting, would I have to do a different voice?

Well your voice is already different :D, but is quite fitting for a DK game ;). IANAL but i doubt EA can claim copyright on your voice :p
dotted

Postby DarkFire4114 » 06 Apr 2010, 16:55

I think there should be of course messages telling you of what's going on in your dungeon. And the DK1 mentor voice can be a nice go for Corpars, as long as we have some kind of knightly voice (Which ANR can pull off, we just need to get him sick again :P) for Heroes. Maybe for Constructs we have a "Spirtial" or "Robotic" voice? Villains could also have some more evil voice, maybe of a madman or something? For Undead it could be kinda emotionless, and I know someone who could be good for that role!

With different voices for each, something as demonlike as Corpars would make sense as it could have been thought up by anybody, so no real problems there.

Oh I once had an idea to create my own DK3, but I got as far as ideas. It's funny, you all seem to have taken my ideas for the different factions. I created the Mercenaries (DK2 idea) Creatures, Undead, and some kind of Dark Demon set of creatures. The last one is the only one missing. :P

Wanna hear about it?
DarkFire4114

Postby TheAncientGoat » 06 Apr 2010, 18:06

Well, I think faction-wise, we are pretty flexible atm. The things written up are left-overs from the previous game designer, without any discussion, and he disappeared a while back. I still think sticking to strictly defined factions and what not isn't the right way to go, a flexible "alignment" system would lead to better gameplay, easier balance, and quicker production. However, different "avatars" could still work, so multiple voices will be useful as always (heck, we could even get voice acting for the creatures, which would be cool)
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby A New Room » 06 Apr 2010, 18:34

Creature sounds eh? I think I can do that :D
A New Room

Postby TheAncientGoat » 06 Apr 2010, 19:12

Good to hear you're up for it, ANR, was worried there for a second...

But in general, I do think sound is something oft overlooked in our league of game, and it will be really cool to go against the norm with OD :)
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby A New Room » 07 Apr 2010, 02:18

I will post an example of some creature noices when I can :D
A New Room

Postby andrewbuck » 07 Apr 2010, 02:25

I guess I am going to have to get the sound engine working in the game then. Also note, when you do get the sounds made, or want to discuss them, etc, there is a forum specifically designated for sounds (which is currently the only one of our subforums without any posts).

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby DarkFire4114 » 07 Apr 2010, 02:33

andrewbuck {l Wrote}:I guess I am going to have to get the sound engine working in the game then. Also note, when you do get the sounds made, or want to discuss them, etc, there is a forum specifically designated for sounds (which is currently the only one of our subforums without any posts).

-Buck

The lack of a sound engine surely explains why its empty, lol.

Hmm, I sound pretty demonlike, without any modifications. Maybe I could play a role in this! :D
DarkFire4114

Postby andrewbuck » 07 Apr 2010, 03:45

"Your minions are mocking your lack of a sound engine...turn them into chickens" ;)

Yeah, it is somewhat of a glaring shortcoming in the current codebase however we never had anyone who did sounds/music so there was no point in coding it up. I just finished up some work on the treasury which I will be posting about in the "State of the code" thread shortly. I will try to push the sound code up the priority queue a bit, but it is still something I have not worked with much at all so I am still planning out how exactly I want to integrate it with the codebase. There is a wiki page here if you want to start working on enumerating what sounds we need (or even start creating some of them). Hopefully the code will catch up with your sounds fairly soon.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 08 Apr 2010, 10:15

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:Well, I think faction-wise, we are pretty flexible atm. The things written up are left-overs from the previous game designer, without any discussion, and he disappeared a while back. I still think sticking to strictly defined factions and what not isn't the right way to go, a flexible "alignment" system would lead to better gameplay, easier balance, and quicker production. However, different "avatars" could still work, so multiple voices will be useful as always (heck, we could even get voice acting for the creatures, which would be cool)

Well not the backstory, which Bodsda and I wrote, and I actually think it is quite good. But the creature-, rooms- and spell-lists are leftovers from the previous developer as far as I recall.

But the factions or alignment system discussion should be solved soon. I have made a new thread for the development plan of the content, so please give feedback on that.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 08 Apr 2010, 20:50

Just saw that the addition of you guys have given our SF rank a boost of 166 places so we are now ranked 593 :) Although our best rank have been 329
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 13 Apr 2010, 22:37

All you new folks should make a post in this thread, knowing which time zone you are in really helps to know when you are online :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby DarkFire4114 » 13 Apr 2010, 22:52

svenskmand {l Wrote}:All you new folks should make a post in this thread, knowing which time zone you are in really helps to know when you are online :)

Done so!

But am I the only one so far bringing help? Or am I just most active from WftO? :P
DarkFire4114

Postby A New Room » 11 May 2010, 17:55

Sorry was a little tied up with some things. I'll get right on whatever I can do sound wise :D

Out of interest do I post the clips of what I've done to the forum or to the wiki?

Also what format would be generally preferred?
A New Room

Postby svenskmand » 11 May 2010, 22:13

A New Room {l Wrote}:Sorry was a little tied up with some things. I'll get right on whatever I can do sound wise :D

Out of interest do I post the clips of what I've done to the forum or to the wiki?

Just post them here in the forum, then we can upload them to the SVN (the media repository) after they have been tweaked to their use (e.g. synchronized with model animations etc)
A New Room {l Wrote}:Also what format would be generally preferred?

You can find the formats and licenses we use here :)

Also if you need samples for some sound which you then tweak to you/our needs, then you can always find something good on freesound.org :)

If you feel the need to make music, or complex sound effects using multiple different samples, then consider using an open source editor like Audacity or Ardour, as it will probably be good to be able to edit the composition of the sound. Audacity is like the much used CoolEdit Plus :) And Ardour is a professional multitrack sequencer.
Last edited by svenskmand on 11 May 2010, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 11 May 2010, 22:19

There are no informations about audio formats on that wiki page. I think we should use the wav format. And I thought we can't use freesound.org because of license problems?
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 11 May 2010, 22:23

Freesound.org is okay if we just make a mash-up or sample their sounds, that is we cannot use their exact sample, but only parts of them or mash-ups of them, so it should really not be a problem, as they use CC Sampling Plus 1.0, but please correct me if I am wrong :)

For sound I would suggest FLAC instead of wav as it takes up less space, and we can also have many tracks in it, which can be used for storing mashed-up samples.

Sounds from freesound.org have also been used in commercial projects, e.g. in the movie Children Of Men.

I have just updated the formats page for contributions on the wiki.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 11 May 2010, 22:40

svenskmand {l Wrote}:For sound I would suggest FLAC instead of wav as it takes up less space, and we can also have many tracks in it, which can be used for storing mashed-up samples.

Hmm that'll be a bit problematic for me, because I'd have to convert audio files first before I can use them in my program.

Edit: I just tested this and it works fine, but it will be more work for me to convert everything I make. Here's an uncanny sound which I just converted to the flac format:
Attachments
Unheimlich.flac
(588.82 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 11 May 2010, 22:48

Skorpio {l Wrote}:
svenskmand {l Wrote}:For sound I would suggest FLAC instead of wav as it takes up less space, and we can also have many tracks in it, which can be used for storing mashed-up samples.

Hmm that'll be a bit problematic for me, because I'd have to convert audio files first before I can use them in my program.

Which program do you use? Audacity just opens FLAC and stores it in memory, and then saves it back into FLAC, that is it also does some initial conversion, but it happens automatic.

For music I do not know which format we should use yet, but I am planning on trying to make some ambient-like background music, and for that I will use Ardour and or Beast BSE. And for sound effects I will use Audacity.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 13 May 2010, 00:58

svenskmand {l Wrote}:Freesound.org is okay if we just make a mash-up or sample their sounds, that is we cannot use their exact sample, but only parts of them or mash-ups of them, so it should really not be a problem, as they use CC Sampling Plus 1.0, but please correct me if I am wrong :)

For sound I would suggest FLAC instead of wav as it takes up less space, and we can also have many tracks in it, which can be used for storing mashed-up samples.

Sounds from freesound.org have also been used in commercial projects, e.g. in the movie Children Of Men.

I have just updated the formats page for contributions on the wiki.

Andrew could you take a look at this, you said you was a bit into legal stuff regarding licensing. Is my claim above not correct? What is you oppion?
svenskmand
OD Moderator