Collaboration with "War For The Overworld"

Re: Collaboration with "War For The Overworld"

Postby andrewbuck » 13 May 2010, 01:06

I don't know too much about the CC licenses so I am not a whole lot of use here. I would assume they are probably alright to use however I really can't say for sure. I have already read a 6 page contract and about half of a US government bid document so I'm not really in the mood to work out the potential conflicts between the various CC licenses. I can try to check it out at some point but it won't be anytime soon and even then I wouldn't want to rely solely on my opinion of that. We really need someone who has worked with audio enough to be familiar with these licenses, they are the ones who this decision will affect the most anyway so it should be left up to them.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby Blutonium » 14 May 2010, 20:33

Hi There. I am the Lead 3D Modeler for Keeper Klan.

We can work together, only a few kinks need to be sorted out.

1) My Models will take time - think 1-2 years
2) I'm currently taking a break, but will be starting up my engines soon.
3) You will need to use Dummy Models for Now, until I have most of the models complete.
4) I will supply ALL the low poly, game-ready models + High Def Displacement/Normal maps/Bump Maps to be used with them - these come from multi-million Polygon Meshes, straight out of ZBrush, the best normal map generating Software there is.
5) I will consider Donating the Hi-Def models at a later stage, though I haven't seen you guys using Displacement or Normal maps yet so I don't understand why my original Models are needed.
It's like asking me for the Original Mona Lisa Painting when all you need is a small photo of it.
6) I Will be Rendering an Intro too, and will give it to the DK project which succeeds.

All in all I think you guys have a good thing going here. Well Done =)
Blutonium

Postby andrewbuck » 15 May 2010, 02:38

That sounds excellent Blutonium. We wanted the high-poly models for exactly the reason you stated, to make normal maps. If you are willing to provide those I don't think it should be an issue. You are correct that we are not currently using normal mapping in game yet, however this is purely due to us being unable to figure out exactly how to get it running. The Ogre 3d engine supports it but we have to figure out the procedure to make it do it. As for the timeline, that is a bit long but I don't think it is out of the question, none of us expected the development of this game to be an overnight process. I look forward to seeing more of your your work, what I have seen in the WFTO forum so far is amazing.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby A New Room » 16 May 2010, 02:05

svenskmand {l Wrote}:If you feel the need to make music, or complex sound effects using multiple different samples, then consider using an open source editor like Audacity or Ardour, as it will probably be good to be able to edit the composition of the sound. Audacity is like the much used CoolEdit Plus :) And Ardour is a professional multitrack sequencer.

I use Audacity anyway so that won't be too much of hassle (:

svenskmand {l Wrote}: You can find the formats and licenses we use here :)

Also if you need samples for some sound which you then tweak to you/our needs, then you can always find something good on freesound.org :)
Noted. Right I'll get onto recording some really basic sounds : :D
Mentor: "This land would give you a case of truly terrifying flatulence if you were eat it…"
A New Room

Postby Keldaryth » 18 Jun 2010, 10:42

I'm not actually from WFTO, but jumped onto this forum from there. I'm generally a writer, which I started doing and I've also put some ideas out for creature attraction and interaction systems. I guess I'll put myself out there as a writer/game system designer.

Do we have any indication of whether Syn is willing to come across with concept art and ideas? His work was so evocative and truly inspiring...
Keldaryth

Postby andrewbuck » 18 Jun 2010, 14:11

I don't remember if Syn had expressed interest or not. Bluto, who made the 3d models has expressed interest though. He is currently doing some professional work and doesn't have time to work on either project but might help us out a bit later.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 26 Feb 2011, 17:16

What is the status on the collaboration? They still seem to work independently from OD and are making good progress.

I fear, when two good open source games with the same gameplay and style will be available that one of them will die.
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 27 Feb 2011, 01:03

Then OD will be the one surviving, we will never have IP problems with EA, all the clones will. Hopefully they will realize this before they put too much effort into it and then join us, but I doubt they all do, and so far we have not seen them here that much. But it would be nice if they joined :)
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 27 Feb 2011, 10:18

Why should WOFT get in conflict with EA? Do they recontribute any content of the original games?
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 27 Feb 2011, 10:53

All of their project is deriviative work, and they also borrow many of the creatures from the old games. And this is also prohibited. As far as I know, but I am no lawyer.

Square Enix pulled a similary stunt on a guy who re-implemented the code for Carmageddon to use the original game content. You can see his documentation of the project in his blog here.

It still seems to be alive though :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 27 Feb 2011, 11:30

They are currently using the unreal engine as well, which does not go well with open source. Though i suppose we could attempt to make contact again.
They do have a lot of media content.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 27 Feb 2011, 11:48

The problem is that all they media content is clearly directly derivative work off Dungeon Keeper 2. Or more precisely of the intro video, the actual in game models of DK2 was different from the intro movie. But they have not shown any low poly versions yet so I do not know how they will look when they are done.

You can see some of their models here. Then look at the Dungeon Keeper 2 intro movie here.
svenskmand
OD Moderator