Sourceforge page

Sourceforge page

Postby Skorpio » 30 Mar 2010, 16:14

Could anyone add to the summary that you have to d/l and install the media and the dll packs, too? Only about half of the people seem to download the media pack.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Re: Sourceforge page

Postby andrewbuck » 05 Apr 2010, 02:52

I have been thinking about this and I almost think we should just abondon the idea of separate zip files for the various components (maybe leave DLL separate but merge the other two together). The EXE zip is only a few hundred KB so it would be small in comparison to the media pack. Additionally, by the time I get around to rebuilding the windows version of the EXE file, the level file format, etc, will likely have changed anyways, requiring a new media pack. With all the additional hassle I don't know that it is worth it just to save a few bits of bandwidth.

The other possibility is to release "patches" which only include the stuff which has changed since the last full release, regardless of whether it is media, EXE, or whatever. This is a more understood concept in the gaming community and may have less problems associated with it. So we would release OD_0.4.0.zip and then OD_0.4.0_patch1.zip, OD_0.4.0_patch2.zip, etc. until the next full release.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 05 Apr 2010, 12:56

I think we should do what is easiest for you, and for the players downloading the game :)
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 05 Apr 2010, 14:23

One big zip file is really easiest for both sides, the only disadvantage is the downloads take a bit longer and use more of sourceforge's bandwidth. They are being nice enough to offer us free hosting/backup services so I want to be as good to them as we can reasonably be.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 05 Apr 2010, 15:30

Yes we should definitely threat SF nice :)
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator