Website

Re: Website

Postby oln » 16 Apr 2011, 23:30

Yeah, importing the images from one wiki to the other didn't work, and everything has to be fixed, so if we are going with tiki, it will be a lot of work. Mediawiki can actually be styled to have a top menu etc, if you look at supertuxkart for instance. So maybe staying with mediawiki is the better option. (Though would be nice to have a news section with rss, which could be possible with mw as well.)
oln

Postby svenskmand » 16 Apr 2011, 23:46

I also think staying with the current wiki is best, as it gives us the least headaches and TikiWiki does not offer that many improvements anyway.

Why not have a simple wordpress website as a front page, with announcements, RSS feed and the links to downloads, screenshots, videos, forums and wiki. Then we let the wiki look like it does and simply have the website with the style we have talked about? Also to circumvent the login problem we could use OpenID, I am guessing there is a Wordpress and MediaWiki plugin for that :), 10 seconds of googleing gave me this for Wordpress and this for MediaWiki :)

I think this is the best option.
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 17 Apr 2011, 17:39

Two days away and so much to read already. :D

I'm totally against separate pages (Wordpress, MediaWiki, Tracker, ...) without a single header (that would be the status quo). If we use separate applications we should write our own header (like the mockup I already posted) and "include(header.php);" on each app at the top. That's what I wanted to do from the beginning (and I think the most easy one in our situation, since we only need very few lines of HTML and CSS).
We can also install another bugtracker system (instead of the SF Trac, what I don't like anyways) to include our global header into it.

TikiWiki gives us the possibility to have an all-in-one solution without hacking ourself into the code (pro). But after testing it for a while now, I find it rather "bulky" (slow and not admin-friendly, contra).
StefanP.MUC

Postby oln » 17 Apr 2011, 18:41

One thing that we could use for news, which may be a better solution than wordpress, is using an rss/atom feed extension on the wiki, which is then set to fetch an feed from a forum in here. Then we would have a news page, which links to the forum.
(If generating rss feeds for individual forum categories is possible here.)

EDIT: Seems to be possible, don't know whether it is enabled or not.
http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/faq-phpbb-atom-feeds/
oln

Postby svenskmand » 17 Apr 2011, 18:53

I think you can get a rss feed from the forums, qubodup would know :)

StefanP.MUC {l Wrote}:Two days away and so much to read already. :D

Yes if your gone for some days, you left behind ;)
StefanP.MUC {l Wrote}:I'm totally against separate pages (Wordpress, MediaWiki, Tracker, ...) without a single header (that would be the status quo). If we use separate applications we should write our own header (like the mockup I already posted) and "include(header.php);" on each app at the top. That's what I wanted to do from the beginning (and I think the most easy one in our situation, since we only need very few lines of HTML and CSS).
We can also install another bugtracker system (instead of the SF Trac, what I don't like anyways) to include our global header into it.

I think the idea of having all pages look similarly is best in the ideal world, but since we are using all these different web-apps/services: SF for downloads, FGD.net for forum, MediaWiki for wiki, Trac for bugtracker, etc. having it all together is just not possible :( And in all cases we will have SF for downloads and FGD.net for the forums, so already there we have 3 different looking sites.
StefanP.MUC {l Wrote}:TikiWiki gives us the possibility to have an all-in-one solution without hacking ourself into the code (pro). But after testing it for a while now, I find it rather "bulky" (slow and not admin-friendly, contra).

And it will take a shit-load of time (at least 100+ hours) to port all the pages from MediaWiki to TikiWiki, which will stall the project considerably.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 17 Apr 2011, 19:01

Should we unlock the wiki again? I think we are all agreeing on ditching tiki-wiki, and sticking with media-wiki, right?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 17 Apr 2011, 19:02

I agree on it. Sorting out a shared header/footer will be a lot less work than moving everything over.
oln

Postby StefanP.MUC » 17 Apr 2011, 19:03

The forum supports special skins for subforums (don't know if it allows displaying separate headers, however).

All download links should be on our website and link directly to the download on sf (the one where the download starts directly). Example what to link from the website:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/opendun ... i/download
This will prevent having to care about the download page. The user should not be forced to use sourceforge for anything regarding the game anyways (SF should only be needed by the devs or highly interested user, never for the regular players).

Using a RSS+forum combination for news sounds very good. There are several available:
- http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:RSS
- http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:RSS_Reader
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 17 Apr 2011, 19:06

Ok then I will update the thread that tells people to not edit the wiki anymore.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 18 Apr 2011, 10:08

Hm, seems like a mod is needed to get the forum feed right. I can only get it to display the latest post of the topic in the chosen forum, rather than the first post.
oln

Postby Danimal » 26 Apr 2011, 13:19

Has the main page of the project been hacked? i can only see something about :

FFMp3 - The Flash MP3/OGG Live Stream Player! - haXed

Is that crap something intended?
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 26 Apr 2011, 13:23

http://opendungeons.sourceforge.net/index.php/Main_Page ?
I can't the stuff you mention there.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 26 Apr 2011, 13:26

Danimal {l Wrote}:Has the main page of the project been hacked? i can only see something about :

FFMp3 - The Flash MP3/OGG Live Stream Player! - haXed

Is that crap something intended?

What are you talking about? Links?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 26 Apr 2011, 14:15

Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 26 Apr 2011, 14:48

Works fine for me as well...
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 26 Apr 2011, 14:49

Hmmm pretty wierd, thats not what is on the page :S Did you try another browser, and did you try to do a hard refresh, you can do that by clicking on the refresh button while having shift pressed down.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 26 Apr 2011, 14:59

:) Hard refresh worked, didnt know of that function
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 26 Apr 2011, 16:53

Good :), but it is still wierd that you saw the other stuff. Which dns server do you use? and do you trust it?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 27 Apr 2011, 12:33

yes, i trust it, in fact its the most trustworty (and stingy) in my country.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Azrael » 25 Jun 2011, 16:23

I don't know if you are still interrested in getting a modern and good looking website, but I'm a webdesigner and I'm a really big fan of the dungeon keeper series and I can help you if you want....
Azrael

Postby oln » 25 Jun 2011, 17:58

That would be awesome. The current site could really use a make-over, will gladly accept any help. The site currently runs on mediawiki (if that wasn't obvious already). If you have some ideas, I can probably set you up with access to the web-server in a bit.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 27 Jun 2011, 17:13

Yes that would be very welcome :) Azrael. Have you looked through this thread? What do you think about my suggestion? If you have another idea then please post it here. Our idea is to have a simple website with basic info about new releases, downloads, screenshots and videos.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Azrael » 29 Jun 2011, 14:22

I'm still looking through this thread but I think I have read all important informations... So I think you are on the right way with your idea to have one site with general information and downloads and so on, this site should be as easy to use as possible and should be THE site for your end-users / gamers. This site should animate the people to download and play your game and there shouldn't be anything about developertalk on it (except of the News and maybe a public bugtracker). The Wiki is a good idea but not as main-site. I think it would be nice to use it for troubleshooting, bugtracking, archieved versions and so on. SF and the Forum is just for developers and "interrested" people so it's no need to confuse your standard users by adding big links to that sites on your main site.

Ps.: Sorry for my bad english, I'm a german native speaker
Azrael

Postby StefanP.MUC » 29 Jun 2011, 16:10

That's a nice sum up of my opinion on how a good OpenSource Game website should look like. :D

If you do this, Azrael, how would you achieve this goal? Plain HTML + CSS coded by hand? Or use a solution like Wordpress and add a custom theme? Or write your own PHP site (for dynamic news posting, commenting, e.g.)?
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 29 Jun 2011, 19:56

I agree Azrael. Just one comment, the forums also has a section for players (although we do not have many of them yet), so I think a link for the forum would be appropriate.
svenskmand
OD Moderator