Tile set Mk 3

Tile set Mk 3

Postby Skorpio » 12 Dec 2012, 23:45

Now that the new tile set is done I have an idea for a much simpler solution (actually I had this idea a long time ago, but didn't pursue it further). We could assemble all walls out of 3 separate meshes: A wall, a corner and the roof. The wall and corner parts would get rotated like the old tiles and get placed beside the roof parts. The problem is, there would be probably some overdraw between the parts and the walls would reach into the adjacent fields. However, I think this new solution would be more flexible in regards of wall variations and graphically more appealing.

I've sculpted a first mock-up version of claimed walls which are not tilable yet. I'm not sure if that would work for the dirt walls as well.
Tileset3.jpg
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Re: Tile set Mk 3

Postby Julius » 13 Dec 2012, 17:32

sounds like a good idea, as long as you can avoid overdraw z-fighting (especially when zoomed further out).
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 16 Dec 2012, 10:07

As suspected the dirt walls are a bit more difficult to construct. I'll see if I can solve the problems.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 18 Dec 2012, 15:16

I'm still working on the new idea for a tile set, but I'm unsure if this is actually a better solution. One problem is that the tiles occupy too much space of the adjacent tiles on a 1x1 grid. It might work better on a 2x2 grid. The other problem are the overlapping parts of the dirt tiles and the resulting sharp edges. The tile sets begin to get on my nerves again. :x
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Julius » 18 Dec 2012, 16:10

Well, no need to reinvent the wheel then, the previous set was fine too.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 28 Mar 2014, 14:24

I've experimented with tiles based on this idea again and here are 3 variants that could work for us. The idea was to use only a straight wall segment, a corner and a flat top part, that get rotated and assembled in-game. The walls in the screenshots are just test models.

Variant 1 uses walls that are placed on the adjacent tiles. The problems are, overlapping parts in the inner corners (this could be solved with 3 additional wall tiles) and narrower paths. The walls will probably have to be pretty vertical and straight, otherwise they would occupy too much space of the adjacent tiles.
OD_Tilesets_var1B.jpg
OD_Tilesets_var1A.jpg

Variant 2 uses four models, a straight segment, inner and outer corners and the top. Each tile of this variant consists of four of these models (the red square in the screenshot would be one tile. Of course the size can be changed depending on the grid size. The size in the screenshot is 4m^2 and the orc, who has a pretty average dimensions, is standing in the middle of one tile).
OD_Tilesets_var2B.jpg
OD_Tilesets_var2A.jpg

Variant 3 is maybe a bit more complicated to implement. It also consists of four parts and one additional part that I used to close gaps between diagonal adjacent tiles (variant 2 would probably need a part like that as well). The blue squares show how these parts would get arranged to form a wall tile. The straight wall parts and the tops get placed in the middle of a tile and between two tiles. The outer corner gets placed where the tile has three open neighbour tiles, and the inner corner has to be placed where it has only one open neighbour.
OD_Tilesets_var3B.jpg
OD_Tilesets_var3B.jpg (36.85 KiB) Viewed 9351 times
OD_Tilesets_var3A.jpg

Some unsolved problems are, partly dug out tiles and texture transitions.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 28 Mar 2014, 16:51

Hi Skorpio,

I'm liking the variant 3 the best, and the variant 1 and 2 seem to have flaws anyway, as you said. Thanks a lot for working on such an essential bit of the game. :D
Also, I'd use straight walls for inner angles to make it all simpler:
tilesetmk3-v3-inner-border.png
tilesetmk3-v3-inner-border.png (875 Bytes) Viewed 9330 times

As an example, including my comment on inner borders, the variant 3 would make you produce 5 different meshes files. (one fully square, one with one round corner, one with two round corners, ...)
And we'd have to compute the rotation of 3 of them.

As for the texture transition, I know there are several techniques that will have to be done on the engine side if I'm correct. But before that (if it ever happens), I'd suggest we keep the same technique as now, meaning that two neighbor tiles of different types treat each others as ground tiles when computing their shapes.

As for the partially dug tiles, if I got it well, since you should produce meshes with visible walls on every sides to avoid multiplying the number of meshes needed for a tile given shape, this shouldn't be a big problem.

Am I correct?

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 29 Mar 2014, 14:42

I think variant 3 will cause too much trouble, because the mid parts reach into the adjacent tile. That means we either need additional transition parts or leave a gap between different materials and that doesn't look very good.

Variant 2 is probably a better solution, but there could still be unforeseen problems. Or we could use variant 1 and make the grid a bit wider to leave space for the walls.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 29 Mar 2014, 16:26

I must say I would then prefer the variant 2 over the one, then. It looks a bit like an unstable road to me. Just my opinion, though.

After ll, you'll be the one to tell us once you've tried them.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby nido » 31 Mar 2014, 23:53

Julius {l Wrote}:sounds like a good idea, as long as you can avoid overdraw z-fighting (especially when zoomed further out).

Perhaps it would be possible to avert this problem in solution #1 by indeed designing the tiles as stated, and building 'full' tiles out of the compositions before inserting it ingame proper.
nido

Postby Danimal » 13 Apr 2014, 11:29

i dont know if this will help or not, but this guy just implemented in a very simple way several walls:

http://alphaprimesaviour.deviantart.com ... 593&qo=147
Danimal
OD Moderator