Some new models

Re: Some new models

Postby Skorpio » 04 Nov 2012, 20:01

There's already a blog integrated in the website, but nobody maintains it at the moment. We could really use a public relations guy (the chief propagandist :) ) in the team. And as Julius pointed out, we have to do something about the accessibility to get more developers. However, this will be difficult, since nobody (me included) is active enough to restructure the project.

The orc is almost finished now, I just need to fine tune a few things.

Danimal, is your adventurer ready for integration yet? Can you upload him to the svn repository when he's done?
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 05 Nov 2012, 15:52

Still lacking animations, but as soon as it is ready i will upload to OGA and notice you, since i dont get along with SVNs or similars
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 11 Nov 2012, 09:13

I can sort accounts on the website CMS if you want to make blog posts.
oln

Postby Danimal » 12 Nov 2012, 13:05

Ok, i would like to have access to that oln. At least a couple of screentshots about the new models and terrain coul be uploaded, i doubt it will get much interest at this point, but its better than having an almost 1 year old post.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 13 Nov 2012, 15:15

Done, thanks for the access, also, feel free to modify whatever you dont thinks is good.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 13 Nov 2012, 20:40

Your post looks good to me :)
oln

Postby Skorpio » 13 Nov 2012, 23:13

Great blog post Danimal. :D Now we just have to actually implement the tiles and repost this everywhere. ;)
Can you give me access to the website, too?

I've just uploaded the orc along with new gold and rock tiles to the SVN repository (water and lava require more time). Here are screenshots of the new tiles:

The gold looks too repetitive on the top at the moment. Maybe I should fill the whole texture with gold instead of mixing it with the dirt.
OD_gold.png
I've got two variants of rock textures, but I prefer the first bluish rock. The browner rock is probably a bit too similar to the dirt.
OD_rockA.png
OD_rock2.png
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 14 Nov 2012, 12:50

Thx, and blue rocks +1
Maybe you should have a look at a real gold vein, yours looks good, but its too loopy, i think in nature it looks more straigth.

Now, we just need to find actual programmers (or code monkeys, whatever is cheaper), this gonna take long...
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby charlie » 14 Nov 2012, 13:23

That's a really good blog post (even if the 'i' offends my OCD).

Next step is to identify a couple of places to reach out to. For example, our very own 'Showcase & Collabation' forum here.

"Looking for adventurers! Especially level 5 programmers who are prepared to delve deep into the Open Dungeons source code and conquer the demons within!"

Summarize the main tasks required (e.g. need to help implement new tiles) and then copy paste this into a couple of suitable forums (gamedev.net?) so that it meets as many pairs of relevant eyes as is required to attract talent.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby MCMic » 14 Nov 2012, 19:34

Great blog post!
MCMic

Postby Skorpio » 14 Nov 2012, 23:59

Danimal {l Wrote}:Maybe you should have a look at a real gold vein, yours looks good, but its too loopy, i think in nature it looks more straigth.

Yeah, the gold isn't very realistic, but I don't think straight lines would be a good idea, since then you would have a lot of parallel diagonal or horizontal stripes similar to the marble texture in Blender.

If anyone wants to check out the new tiles, you can find scaled down versions in the repository now. They are in the folder \mediaSource\Models\OD_Tilesets\OD_Tilesets_export\Small Test Tiles . You can replace the files in your model folder with them, but the new tiles will have gaps between them and don't have the intended size (they're scaled down to fit on the 1x1 grid).

I'd really like to have a new version of OD now, because some of the normal maps still don't work for me in version 0.48, so I don't know if the materials/textures of the tiles have to be adjusted. Btw, Oln, how can I create a transparent material with the new material script scheme?
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby charlie » 15 Nov 2012, 00:52

I'm not sure realism is a huge worry for a game that features orcs. Not that I'm saying it should be silly, but style and intuitive surely trumps realism. I mean, gold veins in reality are probably pretty crappy looking, being in damp caves and all, and mixed in with dirt.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby oln » 15 Nov 2012, 07:47

Skorpio {l Wrote}:Btw, Oln, how can I create a transparent material with the new material script scheme?

I have no idea, you would have to check the ogre documentation.
oln

Postby Skorpio » 19 Nov 2012, 13:40

I'm going to try to implement thecubber's/MrBeast's dwarf and mage models during the next week or at least one of them. They have to be animated first and the different uv maps of the dwarf could be merged. The models are a bit poly heavy, though (about 12k tris each, that's about 4 of the new orcs).
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 19 Nov 2012, 18:06

i always liked the dwarf, but not the mage (he looks really poli heavy), also polys limitiations should not be that bad nowadays a i guess OGRE has some poly culling class or something like that?
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 20 Nov 2012, 13:12

It seems the OGRE exporter for Blender 2.5 doesn't support skeletal animations yet (if the wiki is up to date), so I'll have to postpone this.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 20 Nov 2012, 21:43

good old blender 2.49 will never let you down.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 21 Nov 2012, 18:30

http://opengameart.org/content/adventur ... t-low-poly , could someone insert it into the SVN please?
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 22 Nov 2012, 14:16

I'll upload him, but have to add the weapon bones first and probably have to separate the animations.

I know you're going for a comic style, but I think you should work a bit more on the textures, especially on the skin tones. There was a nice tutorial on the wiki, but it seems to have disappeared. Here's a quick overpaint to show you what I mean:
Attachments
Adventurer.png
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 22 Nov 2012, 16:16

I've modified the texture already, so you don't have to if you don't want to change him. I'm going to work a bit more on te eyes, the mouth and the hair.
Adventurer1.jpg
Adventurer2.jpg
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 22 Nov 2012, 17:27

For me it looks very good, and its probably the most improved character model in OD asset.
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 22 Nov 2012, 19:15

Im feeling kind of jealous on how you modified his face, any tips i can use for my next character?, also thanks for cleaning it, i know it must look kind of messy to anyone more experienced than me at modelling.

Im thinking of starting my next model, a promotion of this guy (disciples games alike), he should be able to promote (system not related to OD) to mage apprentice, pilgrim, squire or pikeman (magical, religious, warrior and spearmen branches) i already have either concepts or reference models for all of them. Any sugestion on who to do first?
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 22 Nov 2012, 20:26

There was a link to a nice texture painting tutorial on the FGD wiki, but I can't find it anymore. I used only three different colors (also different hues), began with the darkest and painted the brighter ones over it with a sharp edged brush and medium opacity.

There's a big problem with the model. You forgot to apply the scale and rotation and therefore the model is huge and stands on its head in-game. It's possible to scale it in the level file, but I can't change the rotation (maybe one of the programmers can do that). Otherwise you would have to animate the adventurer again, because he gets distorted by the armature when you apply the scale and rotation. I think it's not possible to fix that. Also, the center point of the model should be on the ground. Currently he's half under the ground, because the center is near his hips. And you should name the mesh and materials in the future.

BTW, the model is not messy at all, only the face vertices had to be tweaked a little bit.

Edit: I just exported him without the armature and he looks great, although he's a bit big (2.3m (but at least not 100m anymore)). :) In OD 1 Blender unit is 1m.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 23 Nov 2012, 20:18

Hi Skorpio, since i will do more of them i want to correct those problem from the start, if you dont mind, can you download the basemesh and modify it to match OD requeriments? (blender 2.49 please). Regarding center, being at the bottom is a cannon thing or just OD? Maybe i should leave the animations aside and work only on the model.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 24 Nov 2012, 19:45

Just set him up like this:
Basemesh.jpg
Basemesh.jpg (59.16 KiB) Viewed 20058 times

Always make sure that the scale is 1 and Rot 0 (for the armature, too), especially before you begin to animate a model. The Dim value shows his size in meters. Of course other games/engines use different sizes. I think Quake models are about 100 times bigger or so.
Skorpio
OD Moderator