Creature lists and concept art for them

Re: Creature lists and concept art for them

Postby svenskmand » 21 Jan 2011, 20:20

We some basic ideas listed on the wiki. But we have not discussed them that much.
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 21 Jan 2011, 20:44

There is http://opendungeons.sourceforge.net/index.php/Room, though it doesn't tell what's missing and what exists.
We should probably make a list of what's needed to make it easier for modellers.
Forge and dungeon temple exists.
Treasury and quarters are just a different ground textures at the moment I beleive.
Dojo, library and foodery have no models.
oln

Postby Skorpio » 22 Jan 2011, 13:19

svenskmand {l Wrote}:
Skorpio {l Wrote}:And you kind of contradict yourself. First you wanted some golden army like characters, which are clearly mechanical, and now you want metal golems that are only a pile of metal parts. I get the impression that you don't really know what you want.

I consider the golden army characters to fit my description above. And they are actually not really that mechanical (if that is intentionally by the filmakers or just because your are not supposed to think that much about their workings I do not know). But an example is in the scenes where they are taken apart by Hellboy, then they reassemble themself again, where each limb simply flys close to the largest parts of the body and reattaches themself. If you look at them in the movie their metal parst also only really acts as limbs, and does not really work in physical/mechanical way like gears normally do. The description I made above should support my idea of the golden army characters, if you think it does not then where do you see contradictions? Then I will try and clear them up.

For me a golem is something raw, chaotic and unshaped, as you said a pile of metal, whereas the golden army "creatures" are well designed mechanical units. By the way I haven't seen the movie, wasn't thrilled about the first one.

Oh, and here's a good, short drawing tutorial: http://foxi-5.deviantart.com/art/Simple ... t-87741977
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 22 Jan 2011, 13:54

Nice tutorial, will try it when i have free time. Thought i would prefer one showing the process between steps.

Why "Dojo", whats wrong with "training room" or "Gym" i dont think you have any japanesse creature in there...
Also why dont imitate without copying Dungen keeper?, since this is kind of a remake i dont think its a big deal nor will anyone sue you, the rooms can be made after modified versions of the original game ones.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 22 Jan 2011, 14:09

The reason for dojo and a lot of the other names was to try to be different from DK. In my opinion our game is too similar however up to this point there hasn't been much room for flexibility. I think we should try to think of good ways to set ourselves apart and then we won't have to worry so much about similar names and such since there will be other differences anyway.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby charlie » 22 Jan 2011, 18:40

As mentioned before Skorpio (not sure if you're reading the non-negative responses) this might look a lot less steam punk and a lot more magic-like if you use glow effects a lot more liberally i.e. on joints, around the chest and neck areas etc. Make the metal look like a container for an other-worldly power, and the 'robot' look will be emphatically replaced by the kind of look that svenskmand is after.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 22 Jan 2011, 18:59

Skorpio {l Wrote}:For me a golem is something raw, chaotic and unshaped, as you said a pile of metal, whereas the golden army "creatures" are well designed mechanical units. By the way I haven't seen the movie, wasn't thrilled about the first one.

Oh, and here's a good, short drawing tutorial: http://foxi-5.deviantart.com/art/Simple ... t-87741977

Ok, then a Construct consist of forged metals, but its parts are lifeless and useless without the magic that the soulstone possess. Its parts does not have any function without the soulstone. And when the soulstone is there the construct is not driven by any mechanical devices powered by the soulstone. The soulstone only magically binds the parts and gives them a mind, the mind comes from within the soulstone.

charlie {l Wrote}:As mentioned before Skorpio (not sure if you're reading the non-negative responses) this might look a lot less steam punk and a lot more magic-like if you use glow effects a lot more liberally i.e. on joints, around the chest and neck areas etc. Make the metal look like a container for an other-worldly power, and the 'robot' look will be emphatically replaced by the kind of look that svenskmand is after.

This sound right to me, lets try it :) Another inspiration could be this guy from Warcraft 3. The glow is too much here, but it gives an idea of the direction I think we should be going.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 24 Jan 2011, 18:53

Here's the glowing version of the last concept.

I'm actually leaning towards a style similar to the warjacks in Warmachine: http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/ga ... sic-slayer
However, some parts of the warjacks really look too technical in my opinion. Warmachine is a steampunk tabletop wargame.
Attachments
Construct2B.jpg
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 24 Jan 2011, 21:31

It looks awesome :), i really like the glow. The exhaustion pipes still have to go though. Also I think he should have shorter legs, and be more compact. I liked the idea that the constructs would be build so they can transform into a egg, when they are not deployed, and then when they are deployed they transform into a thing with legs and arms. But again it looks so much more cool with the glow :)

I think the warjacks character you talk about is too futuristic/steam punk.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 24 Jan 2011, 21:53

I really think the egg thing is overkill, its going to make all the constructs looks alike, and the making of the concepts a hell.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 24 Jan 2011, 22:14

Danimal {l Wrote}:I really think the egg thing is overkill, its going to make all the constructs looks alike, and the making of the concepts a hell.

Agreed, this would be rather complicated.
Last edited by oln on 24 Jan 2011, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 24 Jan 2011, 22:20

But it will make them look cool, I think :S

I think the newest concept still have the problem that the construct looks too humanoid-like, what do you think?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 24 Jan 2011, 22:32

im with you in them having a more roundish look, not ball like thought. I will try to throw one of my crappy concepts and see if you people like the style
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 25 Jan 2011, 15:04

Well, im trying to use skorpio´s tutorial, this a rough drawing, lots of things can be added yet. I intend this model to be the "razor-sharp" strong figther i suggested. Also, Skorkio what metod did you use for making that nice glow of yours? i want to add it to all junctions and runes like words into all armor plates (glowing as well), the center is almost empty for housing the magic-heart (didnt know how to make it so i put a shining cristal) and protected by rib like spikes.So what is your opinions in this style?

Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 25 Jan 2011, 16:15

I like the blades :), nice idea. But where is the head? Also maybe the legs are a bit too large? But overall it is looking more and more in the right style. I do not think we are there yet but we are getting closer :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 25 Jan 2011, 16:25

That looks already pretty good, especially the arms. Of course it needs to be refined. Does it attack like a mantis? I also think the constructs should have runes and ornaments on some parts.

I painted that glow effect with a simple, soft, round brush and set it to color dodge. By the way what painting program do you use?
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 25 Jan 2011, 17:11

Skorpio {l Wrote}:That looks already pretty good, especially the arms. Of course it needs to be refined. Does it attack like a mantis? I also think the constructs should have runes and ornaments on some parts.

Agreed runes and ornaments would look nice.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 25 Jan 2011, 18:44

svenskmand {l Wrote}:I like the blades :), nice idea. But where is the head? Also maybe the legs are a bit too large? But overall it is looking more and more in the right style. I do not think we are there yet but we are getting closer :)

They don't necessarily need to have a head, you wanted them less humanoid after all ;)
oln

Postby Danimal » 25 Jan 2011, 19:08

Hi everyone, glad you like it, regarding the head it has one, but i didnt give it the proper perspective, its that helmet looking thing filled with red, wanted to make it somehow like the one in D&D. I did the legs big because i though it would need some heavy support to keep itself from falling headfirst from all the armor + weapons located mostly in the front. But since we are not shooting for mechanical reality they can be made smaller.
My idea is to put runes over all the golden armor-metal plates and along the weapons blade, it is still lacking on spikes but i think i have already put down almost everything, if some of you think of some kind of ornaments, please do tell because i cant think of any more parts to add.
Skorpio im using photoshop plus a drawing pad, but i am still in the novice-Intermediate level, and not knowing how to draw is not helping much (to learn to draw is one of my dreams) also my tests of next month are not helping out. That tutorial you posted is good but i would like to see the progress between steps, do you know of other more complete tutorial?.

Thinking about it, i think maybe i should made this guy lighter to match the description and use the frame for the iron brawler?:
- Strong fighter: Razor blade (high Power and speed, low hp and defense) and iron brawler (high def and hp, low speed )
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby riidom » 26 Jan 2011, 08:35

Hi all, as things are a bit contradictory atm about constructs, I thought things cant get worse when I throw inside another idea. The guy in this ugly glued together 3D preview is assembled from several big ironparts. A bit like a golem, but not from something amorphic like earth clumps or similar, but (more or less) defined parts.
This guy is downsampled to 900 tris and got some rusty-metal textures thrown on it.

Done by creating each piece separate, align and adjust, then combining them by boolean modifier, difference mode. Triangulating, using the polyreducer script from 2.49 to get it from 3500 to 900 triangles (I got here massive flipped face normals, missed to correct a few, that are the black triangles at the leg), smart uv project and texture painting with some free rusty closeup shots from web.

It isnt rigged yet, but I imagine it like:
the stoneplate leg moves in one piece, the other will bend once, the body is stiff, the green "bag" will fake a bit gravity effects, the red disc is connected to the body-hook with some kind of tentacle arm, allows a bit movement and rotation of the spikedisc.

Movements will look as ugly and inagile, so he is slow, but kinda healthy maybe, his construction is very simple, just 8 different parts, so he will not be able to perform complex tasks. He can be either some worker or a fighter, with slow movement, medium health and medium damage maybe.

One disadvantage of this method is, that one would expect every unit to look unique, as its a chaos and random design, where repetitions (like, all models of one class look same) would look odd.
Attachments
constr2_prev.png
riidom

Postby svenskmand » 26 Jan 2011, 10:50

I like Danimal and Skorpio's models better, riidom this is too wierd, in my opinion, and not how I imagined the constructs.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 26 Jan 2011, 12:29

I thinkn riidoms concept could be used as well, it's quite refreshing to have some creatures not look humanoid at all.
oln

Postby Danimal » 26 Jan 2011, 12:43

Sorry, but i also think that model is really weird even eerie, something that could come out of a Hellraiser movie, or chaos marine from warhammer 40k, if you made the metal parts organics (feet and medium rod) and transform the "bag" into a pulsating heart Tom McFarlane will hire you. :eew:
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 26 Jan 2011, 21:18

I was tempted to work out Danimal's concept, so I changed the head, gave it a round, glowing eye and added some rudimentary runes and glow.

Danimal I can send you some books, if you want to learn more about drawing. You can find some useful information about perspective on this website: http://www.scottmcdaniel.net/ Click on "drawing comics" then on "perspective".

Construct3.jpg
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 26 Jan 2011, 21:58

I've also made some quick changes to riidom's concept. I liked the spikes, but thought the model was lacking a torso.

Construct4.jpg
Construct4.jpg (93.79 KiB) Viewed 12747 times
Skorpio
OD Moderator