Creature designs should be linked to attraction requirement

Creature designs should be linked to attraction requirement

Postby Loobinex » 01 Apr 2016, 00:52

I’ve played a bit of OpenDungeons, and I appreciate that I have not played the planned-campaign to teach me the game, I find that it is impossible to tell which creatures come from which room.

Sure the Dungeon Keeper games came with a manual that stated exactly which rooms you needed to get which creatures, but most creatures just made it obvious why they joined your dungeon. This provides a level of intuitiveness and atmosphere that is important. Some good examples of the Dungeon Keeper games:
    • Big fat bile demons are attracted by large hatcheries
    • The dark mistress is dressed in an SM outfit and goes to the torture room for fun, and is attracted by the torture room
    • Everything about the warlock says scholar, and he is indeed attracted by the library.

I would suggest to keep this in mind for Open Dungeons as well, and to link the attraction requirements to the look and personality of the creatures.

This is doubly important if you go for a tiered system where attraction of high tiered creatures is dependent on lower tiered creatures. Here you must have some sort of clear link between those creatures or otherwise a player will fail to understand how having more slimes will lead to having more trolls later on.
Loobinex

Re: Creature designs should be linked to attraction requirem

Postby Danimal » 01 Apr 2016, 15:19

Theres a nice system already, but its dragged down by lack of room and creatures. For example, fly comes in with 0 Req. , spider with 1 lair and 1 farm, wizards (currenty snakeman) with the previous and libraries; if you build very big libraries you get more chances of getting wizards than others creatures (each library tile add +% to it spawning), the same with other creatures/rooms, Orcs want training rooms, goblins workshops... also the first time you build a new room you get a creature of the one it attracts. Other creatures will join you only if you have their Req. rooms and already have creatures they like (dragon likes wiverns, troll likes orcs...) these are powerful creatures a small understaffed dungeon wont get, and a way to specialize the skills to beat a map.

Currently you get trolls and kreatures with just farms and lairs...
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Loobinex » 01 Apr 2016, 17:09

I'm not talking about how to attract creatures, I'm talking about matching the personality and looks of the creatures to the way they are attracted to give players who receive a creature a good idea of why they have joined your dungeon and be able to do it on purpose on the second play through.

If you take a look at the wyvern, you'll have no idea which room it liked and why it joined your dungeon. If you take a look at the dark mistress it is a safe bet it liked your torture room, so a player who likes dark mistresses will instinctively know to build torture rooms. A player who likes wyverns has to look in the manual.
Loobinex

Postby hwoarangmy » 01 Apr 2016, 19:29

ATM, we are lacking rooms and that's why most creatures come with few requirements.
However, as @Danimal said, the most requirements needed by a creature are met, the most probable a creature is to spawn.

We will link creature spawning to rooms when the rooms will be in.
hwoarangmy