What to include in Game Options ?

What to include in Game Options ?

Postby paul424 » 04 Apr 2014, 23:03

What to include in game options ?
From that list I could prepare small XSD template , from which there would be XML file , which would be read at the game startup :)
For me the list would go
    CreatureCulling
    TileCulling
    Max_FPS
    ShowStatistics
    AutoMouseScroll
    AutoMouseRoll
    CameraCeiling
    MusicON
    GameSoundsON
    ShowMiniMap
    ShowLoggerOutputOnGameConsole

(CameraCeiling == whether there is max for the camera highness ) ...

Donno about else , seems I weakly think about OD internals ...
Most of them would be boolean values ...
Any other proposals ?
paul424
OD Moderator

Re: What to include in Game Options ?

Postby Danimal » 05 Apr 2014, 21:11

That isnt what you would commonly find in your common user setting/game options menus; i would recommend you create a "dev settings/options" for them (or something on that line), and make it easy to remove prior some major release, anyways what you propose seems to be an useful tool to easily tinker with the internal values without going into the code.

But on the downside your average player will think culling is related to clubbing baby seals, hence my proposal to make it easy to disable so no clumsy player "brokes" his game
Danimal
OD Moderator

Re: What to include in Game Options ?

Postby Bertram » 07 Apr 2014, 08:45

The usual options menus are like this:

- Video:
-- Resolution
-- Fullscreen?

- Audio:
-- Music volume
-- Sound effects volume

- Key configuration

Now, about the options proposed:
CreatureCulling <-- It is broken, atm, right? Thus, it should stay an hidden option from console, IMO. But once it will work, I do think it should always be enabled by default for performance reasons, though.
TileCulling <-- Same here.
Max_FPS <-- Is that actually implemented?
ShowStatistics <-- This falls under the key config as it can be toggled using F11 atm and shouldn't be shown by default anyway.
CameraCeiling <-- This shouldn't be an option, since it could break the game by offering too much visibility and/or break performances. The current value of 25 is IMO a good compromise, btw.
MusicON <-- Goes under audio, replaced with a volume option which is cleverer.
GameSoundsON <-- Same here.
ShowMiniMap <-- I'd rather add this in key config to toggle its display and decide whether it is shown by default.
ShowLoggerOutputOnGameConsole <-- I do think this goes under some dev options, too. Or, be a console command that list the log
AutoMouseScroll <-- If it's about using mouse to scroll when on screen borders, I removed it on purpose because it was annoying and unreliable, so please keep it removed.
AutoMouseRoll <-- If it's about using the mouse for tilting, same comment.
Bertram
VT Moderator