OD - Ordered TODO list thread

Re: OD - Ordered TODO list thread

Postby Bertram » 27 Mar 2014, 16:45

Here it is:
Fixed an improved in-game gui:
in-game-gui.png

Changes made:
- Fixed the Gold, Terrain and mana icon clipping. (Previously they were cut on the top and bottom parts.)
- Improved the tabs, and buttons look'n'feel to be more like in the main menu and earned some space using thiner borders.
- Reduced the tab window height to earn even more space.
- Removed the 'Combat' tab, as I don't see any use for it.
- Put the creatures one next to traps.
- Added an 'options' button that I'll later use to trigger an option menu.
- Fixed the stretching behaviour of the tab buttons and tab panel images, fixing a glitch seen around buttons/panels borders.

- I'd like to remove the useless tabs for now (they are easy to readd anyway), so users won't get confused about unimplemented features.
- If you're ok with it. I'd like to use the same tab window for the editor. It will be easy for me to split the tiles, rooms, creatures there, and this will look overall more finished.
- I'd like to later move the system tab content into the options menu.
- I'd like to later add an objectives menu and move the objective panel content there.
- Does anyone has got graphics to turn the 'options' and 'objectives' into image buttons, if you guys are ok with it?

Feel free to comment. :)

Best regards,
Last edited by Bertram on 27 Mar 2014, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Danimal » 27 Mar 2014, 17:10

Impressive UI cleaning; maybe these icons can help you:
http://game-icons.net/
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 27 Mar 2014, 22:37

Thanks Danimal. Your link is awesome, btw!!
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby nido » 28 Mar 2014, 19:06

If i understand the thread correctly, '- Add a 'script' command permitting to trigger an AS function or code from the console'' can be changed to 'implement AS as a console'
nido

Postby Bertram » 28 Mar 2014, 22:30

I guess you mean as a console *language*?
True. I'll fix that. Thanks!

I'm taking the opportunity:
Feel free, everyone, to point anything weird anytime. I really like the flow of discussion that has happened already around this project. It really made things move on, IMHO. :D

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 28 Mar 2014, 22:33

Btw, can someone review my latest patches? Or tell me whether I can move on with the newest UI proposal?
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 29 Mar 2014, 10:42

Donno , why do you always keep asking on newest patches update -- if I have some new code which works , I don't care I just push it to development branch .
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 29 Mar 2014, 11:49

I think Bertrams attitude of asking is the best in a project of more than one person, the only fault is that there is not a real programmer leader to ask. So just do as Paul says and commit after you show the changes so everyone else sees your work.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 29 Mar 2014, 16:22

Hi both,

Thanks for your trust about pushing my patches. Yet, I must say something hurt my eyes here:

@Paul:
Paul {l Wrote}: if I have some new code which works , I don't care I just push it to development branch .

Well, that's a problem, Paul, when we're working as a team.

There are code style guidelines and Team code guidelines. Did you read them already?
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5363
http://opendungeons.sourceforge.net/?q= ... guidelines

Do you remember your latest patch had indentation and style problems?
I'm not putting aside your implication in this project and I have been progressively getting to know the work you and the others have already done. I must say that this project has got quite some potential, but it will never grow to a usable level if everybody keeps playing the lone wolf and push when he/she sees fit.

I've seen the core mechanisms of the game, Paul, and I can say they are still in a terrible shape. So if we want to reach a more professional state, we'll need to act a bit more professionally. Especially on code. You know as much as me how a single character can break the game, right?

Also remember that I'm not asking for people to request reviews because they are lame, but because they are humans and can do mistakes, because it keeps everyone informed on what's going on, and because we could learn a few things from each others, ...

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 01 Apr 2014, 09:44

Just wanted to say I'm slowly working in background on the map loading code. And men, it's something messy. O.O'
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 01 Apr 2014, 10:50

Hi again,

I fell on this:
http://sourceforge.net/p/opendungeons/g ... b01dc29c0/

@Paul:
While I see the feature implemented. Can I know whether the removal of the FindSFML.cmake module was desired?
Why do you keep changing the ogre.cfg file every commits or so??
Most importantly, could you stop adding useless spaces and break indentation in each and every of your commits??

What's wrong with you, Paul?
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 01 Apr 2014, 11:38

I really appologise, that;s because the FindSFML.cmake was obtruding my normal system work -- no SFML found
Also the Plugin.cfg seems to be traced by my git ...
Intendation broken , where do you see it ? , There is only new code added .
Useless spaces -- thats my style of marking that there would be additional work needed here , could stop that if it annoys you.
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 01 Apr 2014, 15:35

Hi Paul,

I really appologise, that;s because the FindSFML.cmake was obtruding my normal system work -- no SFML found

You'll need to figure that out with nido, since it's his work you removed.

Also the Plugin.cfg seems to be traced by my git ...
Intendation broken , where do you see it ? , There is only new code added .
Useless spaces -- thats my style of marking that there would be additional work needed here , could stop that if it annoys you.

Have a look at this link:
http://sourceforge.net/p/opendungeons/g ... b01dc29c0/

A few times, the indentation of a line is missing a space. I suspect your IDE is not helping you in those cases. Maybe you should try to reconfig it,
so it will use the correct 4-spaces indentation type?

Yes, unfortunately, the empty lines are useless and annoying for the others to read your code. If you see something to add, drop a TODO, but don't add four new lines at random.
The philosophy behind this is that adding something half-done (whatever it is) is sometimes worse than adding nothing at all, right?

And if you add commented code, please explain why it is there. The others can't necessarily guess what it does, so when somebody later comes back on changing the function containing dead code, he/she knows whether he/she can remove the dead code or not, or even update it for later.

Ah, and last but not least, please double-check then changes before committing. there is 'git diff' and 'git status' for that.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 07 Apr 2014, 23:22

Hi again,

I finished adding support for the new editor gui and added support for adding every kind of tiles supported from there. Actually, castle walls are claimed tiles with 100% fullness.

As for the next win32 binary, maybe tomorrow, I can't promise yet.

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Elvano » 21 Apr 2014, 16:46

It took me quite some time to try to recreate the tech demo to-do-list based on notes that were made, but here it is: http://opendungeons.sourceforge.net/wik ... =tech_demo
I hope this will help us getting back on track.
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Bertram » 21 Apr 2014, 19:07

Most of the tech-demo todo list is actually working btw. :)
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Elvano » 21 Apr 2014, 19:09

Bertram {l Wrote}:Most of the tech-demo todo list is actually working btw. :)

I know, but we ought to focus on the rest of the list before moving on ;o
Feel free to strike-through everything that has been done already (not remove)
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Elvano » 27 Apr 2014, 14:14

I've added some items to the tech demo list.

These are not things I have made up, but rather things that are in the original tech demo to-do list (to which I have temporarly access again)
Bertram {l Wrote}:Making the AI attack? I guess it will come. ;)

A basic AI is listed (no specifications to what a basic AI is, though)

Tech Demo: Bertram (I think) {l Wrote}:Ranged Fighter (Units have a working range parameter mostly seen with wizards. But there aren't any projectiles.)

Does this mean they can attack from a distance?
And do thet keep obstructing objects in account?
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Bertram » 27 Apr 2014, 14:55

Does this mean they can attack from a distance?
And do thet keep obstructing objects in account?

They are using paths to compute the obstruction, so yes, and ... no. It depends on what you mean.
I haven't looked at whether there is actual ray tracing for instance between the two creatures.

A basic AI is listed (no specifications to what a basic AI is, though)

From what I've seen, it shouldn't be that hard to add, but I am on changing the walls/creatures/room objects size atm, so you can test the new feel. I have also changed the Ogre scene manager type from the generic one to the interior one as it is improving FPS for me. With all that, I hope you'll be able to provide additional feed-back.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Elvano » 27 Apr 2014, 15:13

Lol, I wasn't directing all this work to you, Bertram. =p
There are other programmers ;3
Just make sure you're not working on the same thing without knowing.

Bertam {l Wrote}: It depends on what you mean.

To put it easy; can they attack enemies from a distance (which is good) and if so, can they attack enemies behind walls (which is good for the player but bad for the game)?

Also, the fighter and worker are crossed off the list. Any preference to which worker and which fighter i should list? (they have to be working and present)
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Bertram » 27 Apr 2014, 17:20

Re, :)

To put it easy; can they attack enemies from a distance (which is good) and if so, can they attack enemies behind walls (which is good for the player but bad for the game)?

Yes, they can attack from a distance which is configurable from the creatures.def file corresponding parameter (the distance is in tiles).
And no, they can't attack from behind a wall. (The target creature must be visible from the attacker, and corners are (roughly speaking) used to add distance, forcing the attacker to get closer and attack when needed.)
So basically, it's working fine.

Also, the fighter and worker are crossed off the list. Any preference to which worker and which fighter i should list? (they have to be working and present)

Kobold and BeetleGolems are workers, all the others are fighters. (You can also have a look at their job in the creatures.def file.)
Note that i addedf support so that creatures even not workers, with a dig rate higher than 0 can dig walls, but will prefer attacking than digging when possible.

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Elvano » 27 Apr 2014, 17:49

Bertram {l Wrote}:Kobold and BeetleGolems are workers, all the others are fighters. (You can also have a look at their job in the creatures.def file.)
Note that i addedf support so that creatures even not workers, with a dig rate higher than 0 can dig walls, but will prefer attacking than digging when possible.

Which one is most complete/fitting?
Doc {l Wrote}:I mean, you must choose
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Bertram » 27 Apr 2014, 20:20

I do think all the creatures listed and appearing in game are worth using and functional, being a keeper creature or a heroes' one.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Elvano » 27 Apr 2014, 20:23

We only need one melee fighter, one worker and one ranged fighter according to the to-do-list.
I want to replace the "melee fighter" in the list with "<name>" and only one name for every item listed.
which ones shall it be?
Elvano~
Elvano

Postby Bertram » 27 Apr 2014, 20:42

Ah ok:
- Worker: kobold.
- Melee Fighter: Orc.
- Range Fighter: Wizard.
Bertram
VT Moderator