New people we need :)

New people we need :)

Postby paul424 » 28 Jul 2014, 22:15

I was thinking recently about the project , and found out that code and graphic base is expending , while things regarding music and sound and speeches are not moving forward ...
What do you think about finding three new persons , each responsible for separate issue namely :
[list=]
Sounds Keeper

Music Keeper

Speeches Keeper
[/list]

Also how could we recruit them ? That is on which forums to ask for ?
paul424
OD Moderator

Re: New people we need :)

Postby Danimal » 29 Jul 2014, 13:13

Its true that sound/music is an underdeveloped side of the project, but the only reason i havent compiled a resource list for it, its because there is no real support for it at the moment.

If someone took upon himself to code all needed stuff, like songs crossfading, ramdonly used sounds on creatures attacks/actions/walking/death...(using the creatures as sound sources) , playlists (based on biomes when integrated), main menu song and all other needed bits i can put together something. In fact, there is already sufficient material for the default dungeon tileset background music, sounds and replacements can be hunted on OGA, enought at least for a beta version.
So, can we use a dedicated sound guy? yes, no doubt; eventually we will need to fish for one, but as long as there is no code support dont expect anyone to stick around. Artist want their work integrated, rigth now, better yet, yesterday.

Im wondering, wasnt Angel script supposed to play a key role in music and Keeper/heroes speeches?(among other things, like scripted events) i guess its integration has been halted until the core game is developed.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 29 Jul 2014, 18:58

yes, no doubt; eventually we will need to fish for one

Heh it took me some time to understand that phrase :) ..
Anyway pinpointing sounds / music is quite straightforward : we have already a code functinos ( places ) where creature dies , eats , fights ... whatever ... just inserting additonal code snippet there ain't be the problem. I don't know what you mean by long waiting ; your models are easily embended by yourself into the program ... so ... So others : do you know where we could find such three leaders ?
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 29 Jul 2014, 20:50

We just need a sound guy, no need to have 3.

Anyone can start updating sounds/songs as long as he has a coder support that inserts the needed code in the creature functions as you said, i myself can do that but i NEED that one coder. And it would be even faster than the graphics side because there is already lots of sounds around.

Another option is trying to recruit someone at OGA or beg for contributions to create what we lack; but we still need one coder to work closely with him/her. Paul, dont expect that anyone will come and do a bunch of sounds for us, experience has shown us that only working closely with newcomers makes them stay.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 29 Jul 2014, 21:10

For basic effects like weapon and effect sounds there are probably lots of things on OGA that could be used.
oln

Postby Danimal » 29 Jul 2014, 21:16

I know we can find there mostly of what we need, we will just need to be specially made for us the enemy keepers tauntings and hero threats, and maybe a bit of a prologue or ending speech. Songs and sounds are pretty much covered and waiting for integration from a willing coder.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 29 Jul 2014, 21:25

Songs and sounds are pretty much covered and waiting for integration from a willing coder.

WHERE ??? WHAT ???

Also from coding point of view those are similar task , but from organizational side it looks diffrent : for example for speeches part it would consist of mainly finding some voice actors which would record their voice either as keepers or the creatures speeches ... Do we want the creature speeches ? ehem ,,, I suppose we don';t want them to stay mute ... in traditional RTS there was always some sentence said , depending of what you did/ command the creature / unit to do ...
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 29 Jul 2014, 21:41

When that coder volunteers to the task ill point him to the treasure cave of sounds only i know ;)
I didnt feel at the time the need to recopilate sound assest since there was no coder interested, but the moment one coder raises his hand he will get sounds for a lifetime (in the dungeons)

The speeches are just occasionals, you should just hear a few of them in the map gameplay; for example when a keeper is much stronger than you and says: I will crush and use you as letter stamps!! or the hero lord comes to the Dungeon: I will vanish all evil! For Glory! For Money!; other than that it would be just a presentation of the campaign or narrated ending.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 29 Jul 2014, 23:59

Danimal , don't pull the eggs on my eyes and others' ....
You are already a 3d modeler for the project.... besides having access to one repo is not enough ... one also should test, regulate the sound scope , direction etc. ... ensure it does not repeat -- and if so choose several similar sounds ... You always claim that you have too little time for modeling , right , right ? Ehh the idea is that people work on some narrow distance "from-to " and don't depend much on one another ...
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 30 Jul 2014, 09:16

Im not throwing eggs at anyones face, for example, our future background musics:

http://opengameart.org/content/north-wi ... sic-inside <-They are top quality, dark ambience songs that can even be assigned to biomes because of it diversity

So i think you misunderstood, i wont be making sounds, ill be pointing them to the coder, because im the kind of guy that ears all new OGA songs while surfing the net/modelling. I want to help complete the sounds, once we are past the point of what i found we will need to find a sound guy. I also have a "scavenger mind", "dont waste your efforts creating something that is already around and free", but im also quality obsesed, i dont want crap.

So i just need to create a list with all my findings and spend over an hour filling it, thats it. And i say it would cover over 70% of needed sounds. So why dont i do it?, because no one has said clearly they will begin integrating them as soon as they are posted. And until someone says it, ill keep silent.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby charlie » 30 Jul 2014, 10:46

If you create a list of sounds to include Danimal, then that will a) incentivise somebody to do any necessary coding and b) when somebody does step up, they won't be waiting on you to populate that list. (That is; saying nobody is volunteering to do it yet is a bit of an excuse not to allocate sounds rather than a reason not to.)
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Bertram » 30 Jul 2014, 13:01

Hi there,

Seems there is a debate starting here, if I not mistaken. ;)

I must say charlie is right about the fact that resources clearly identified to be integrated help making them integrated, but I can understand Danimal when he is telling that we need better support for sounds and music first. There seems that a lot of work on sounds has already been done without any integration so far for instance, just have a look: viewforum.php?f=39

Also, I don't think we need a sound guy specifically, especially if sounds aren't configurable in a human-readable file, but rather a dev interested in improving music/sounds played in game, explaining Danimal's point of view.

So, I've got a good and a bad piece of news: :)

The good one: Sounds are rather easy to integrate, as playing them is almost a one liner if the corresponding event in the code is already functional.
I'm more thinking about entities event, such as creatures and such, and click events when speaking of sounds, than rather voice casts based on values. i explain:
- A voice telling the player "You have no gold!" when clicking on a tile is rather easy to play at click time.

but the bad one, not all sounds can be easily added, and music handling needs an overhaul before further work, i.e.:
- A voice telling the player "You gold is running out!" when his gold amount is reaching a value under X will need to be computed so that the sound is played only once in a while, which is more time consuming to do.
- The music collection is handled using integer identifiers, making music handling nearly impossible through events or different game modes. We need a string based map handling first before anything else.

So, here is my conclusion:
If someone could have a look at the OD sounds and music sub-threads and retrieve useful sounds to add, and list them in a even rather arbitrary way from the easiest to add to the hardest, it would already help.

Then, IMHO some dev would need to dive in and just do the rest.
I guess you've seen, but my own plate and hwoarangmy's are rather full atm. Paul, since you started the request, would you be willing to work on this?

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby paul424 » 30 Jul 2014, 17:42

Sure, but first let;'s merge in my debugger - window support .
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 30 Jul 2014, 17:50

And thats is what i wanted to hear :lol: ; ill create another post addressing all this.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby hwoarangmy » 30 Jul 2014, 18:50

paul424 {l Wrote}:Sure, but first let;'s merge in my debugger - window support .
Are you done wih using classes for the render manager ? If not, do you want me to do that ?
hwoarangmy

Postby paul424 » 30 Jul 2014, 18:59

Well I am away from my home , where the local repo with those changes is , it's almost done ... though I get little time and motivation ... also last time I brought microphone to make some podcasts , but despite claims it works under Linux, yet the polish importer is green as grass : he claims with hot plug the device does not need drivers >_> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/146791/configuring-usb-digital-microphone-under-linuxwould have to give it back in a few days ...
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 31 Jul 2014, 15:24

A voice telling the player "You have no gold!" when clicking on a tile is rather easy to play at click time.

Yes we can start looking for voice actor ...
paul424
OD Moderator