The Kowalski project: a portable open source audio engine

The Kowalski project: a portable open source audio engine

Postby perarnetron » 20 Oct 2011, 15:02

Hello everyone,

Some time ago, I started the Kowalski project, that aims to provide a data driven, portable open source audio engine and related tools released under the permissive zlib license. The audio engine is written in C and currently runs on iOS, OSX and Windows and is designed with portability in mind. Audio mixing, positional audio and other processing does not rely on any external libraries like OpenAL but is handled entirely in the engine code.

If you're interested in using, testing or contributing to the project, head over to the official project page for more info. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone would like to help porting the engine to new platforms such as Linux, let me know.

thanks
perarnetron

Re: The Kowalski project: a portable open source audio engin

Postby charlie » 21 Oct 2011, 02:42

Hi perarnetron.

I'm moving this thread to the Programming forum since this isn't really a game or too game-centric i.e. a single purpose library. Hope you don't mind!

Please do keep us up to date though.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby andrewj » 21 Oct 2011, 10:22

Looks very nice, and the documentation is excellent :D

I think "porting" to Linux will be straight-forward since PortAudio already exists on Linux (it is the normal sound-handling layer in some Linux distributions).

Perhaps more important for Linux would be an ability to output the sound via the SDL library, since many games use SDL for video, input and sound. This can be tricky though, as SDL's interface requires the application to provide a callback function to mix a buffer worth of sound, and this callback is usually called from a separate thread.

There is one thing the documentation didn't answer though --- who is the person making this sound engine :p
andrewj

Postby perarnetron » 22 Oct 2011, 22:12

thanks for the kind words.

i actually made a proof on concept SDL port of the engine when i started working on it but i haven't maintained that code so it's not working at the moment. should be easy to revive though. if anyone feels like giving it a shot, here's the code http://code.google.com/p/kowalski/sourc ... gine_sdl.c. the audio mixing portion needs to be updated but the initialize and deinitialize should still work.
perarnetron