What would it take for a modern remake of Frontier?

What would it take for a modern remake of Frontier?

Postby grrk-bzzt » 18 Dec 2014, 00:40

Hello everyone,

I'm a computer science student and a big fan of the Elite series.
I was wondering if a Frontier remake would be complicated using modern day engines (like Ogre) and programming langages (C/C++).

Now, before you spend time explaining to me that Pioneer, OOlite, GLFrontier or even Elite Dangerous already exist, let me insist that I'm talking about a 1:1 remake as in "no textures, low-poly 3D objects, minimalistic details".

Thank you all for your answers and suggestions.
grrk-bzzt

Re: What would it take for a modern remake of Frontier?

Postby eugeneloza » 18 Dec 2014, 05:11

Check this one out http://spaceengine.org/index/video/0-7
I'm afraid it's not free as in 'freedom', but free as in 'free candy' :)
eugeneloza

Postby NaN » 18 Dec 2014, 23:14

grrk-bzzt {l Wrote}:Hello everyone,

I'm a computer science student and a big fan of the Elite series.
I was wondering if a Frontier remake would be complicated using modern day engines (like Ogre) and programming langages (C/C++).

Now, before you spend time explaining to me that Pioneer, OOlite, GLFrontier or even Elite Dangerous already exist, let me insist that I'm talking about a 1:1 remake as in "no textures, low-poly 3D objects, minimalistic details".

Thank you all for your answers and suggestions.

Do you want to (learn how to) make a game or write an engine?

The main issue will be to figure out the procedural algorithms I guess. Are those documented anywhere?

In general I'd recommend to try one of the available game engines (use builtin scripting for quick prototyping):
http://www.godotengine.org
http://urho3d.github.io
NaN

Postby rogerdv » 23 Dec 2014, 14:52

I strongly support NaN suggestion. I spent 4 years making a game with Ogre, unless you are some sort of programming genius, it will take some time to add the extra stuff required. That was good 6-7 years ago, but today you need to advance faster. I have achieved in a month with Urho3D what took me a year in Ogre.
rogerdv

Postby webshinra » 28 Dec 2014, 18:06

rogerdv {l Wrote}:I strongly support NaN suggestion. I spent 4 years making a game with Ogre, unless you are some sort of programming genius, it will take some time to add the extra stuff required. That was good 6-7 years ago, but today you need to advance faster. I have achieved in a month with Urho3D what took me a year in Ogre.

Notice that, to do a frontier 1:1 remake using a engine with that much stuff inside is maybe _a little_ overkill.

The main problem being not the dispay (i'm pretty sure a tty-only interface would be usable fondamentaly) but the general game architecture and procedural generation.

I personaly would use something like magnum3D for final display : .http://mosra.cz/blog/magnum-doc/ wich is pretty cool light and modern (but need more knowledge of what your doing). but would work a lot on the mecanics in cli before figting to display something.
webshinra

Postby charlie » 01 Jan 2015, 13:23

webshinra {l Wrote}:Notice that, to do a frontier 1:1 remake using a engine with that much stuff inside is maybe _a little_ overkill.

Wise words.

For a 1:1 remake you most likely don't neeed a 3D engine at all, but rather just do OpenGL directly. If you do want the engine for anything it may be simplfying input handling, in which case I'd focus on that as a requirement. Any engine or no engine at all will be able to render lines to a screen.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby DGMurdockIII » 21 Jan 2015, 04:21

I LIKE THIS IDEA
DGMurdockIII