Metallblech game mechanics

Metallblech game mechanics

Postby rapiscan » 04 Jul 2010, 20:14

These notes are from my conversations with GK, who is the visionary for the game. Since it's best for organizational purposes to have a leader, GK is the leader for this game creation project so he will make any final decisions about game play (if necessary). He has the vision and a very strong background in making games, so it only makes sense.

Controls
* WASD will be used to control the lower half of the mech (legs).
** Mechs have variable speed. We will most likely implement this by double tapping W or S to change the speed (though this may change, if it doesn't work well).
* The mouse changes the direction that the torso/upper body is facing independent of the direction of the legs.
* Weapon selection will be numbers and mousewheel as in normal FPSes.
* Jet packs (an advanced element of the game for later) will be controlled by pressing/holding the space bar to activate the jet pack and fly up.

Moblity
* Mechs can climb very steep angles. Say, 75 degrees to start (though it may be adjusted). They slow down though, the steeper the angle.
* Mechs can have jet packs (not sure about how these are "picked up" in game), which allow the to have thrust in the Y direction for a limited time.
* There are some non-mech models, like helicopters, that may fly.

Energy
* Mechs will have a portable power reactor on board, that allows them a certain amount of energy at a given time. All activities from your mech will count against your available power. Some examples of how this affects game play:
** If they're moving as fast as possible, then they shoot more slowly.
** Or if they're using a very powerful weapon, then they cannot move very fast.
* You don't ever run out of energy (at least I don't think so), but rather you have a maximum amount of continuous energy that you use.

Combat System
* Battles are long, they can last several minutes (as opposed to seconds).
* As a mech in battle, you are trying to inflict as much damage as possible while a mech is in field of view. This is one of the way changing speed comes in, as you may want to slow down to take advantage of a good angle or position.
* Tanks and helicopters will be far less powerful than a mech, but if you choose this class (for lack of a better word) in battle, you will be given 5 units (or more).
** You will control the lead unit, and the others will follow your lead (with a minor delay due to pilot reaction time). They will fire at any target that you fire upon.
** If the lead unit goes down, you will take control of another unit, who then becomes the leader.
* Regarding weapons, I believe GK as a weapon list with damange values, but I haven't seen it yet.
rapiscan

Re: Metallblech game mechanics

Postby rapiscan » 04 Jul 2010, 20:22

Below are the tasks and their approximate order.

Task List
1. Make the units move (play animations, control the playing of animations from script)
2. Implement the core control and move systems for all unit types on the maps
3. Implement damage models for units
4. Get the weapon effects and configuration in game
5. Implement the GUI
6. Get mission objectives in game (and destroyable buildings)
7. Implement the unit builder system for configuration
8. Make all game modes work
9. Make video system work (see other metallblech thread for an example video)
10. Implement 3Partey audio system (will provide details about this later)

I am currently working on the first item, but I'll be happy to work with someone on this (and any other task). GK's activity is here for you to play around with http://syntensity.com:8888/tracker/acti ... 5c3bf6384/ , but I haven't uploaded the movement script yet.
rapiscan

Postby TheAncientGoat » 05 Jul 2010, 16:10

Question about movement: Will the WASD movement be tank-like (a and d to turn, w and s for forward and backward) or FPS like, and if fps like, will it be absolute (like w for north etc.) or relative to the camera (like pretty much any fps, only instead of the legs being stationary, they rotate in the direction they are pointing) ?
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby cronos » 05 Jul 2010, 17:02

This is the Metallblech weapon list:

cronos

Postby adrix89 » 05 Jul 2010, 17:53

Why is gatling so weak?
adrix89

Postby TheAncientGoat » 05 Jul 2010, 18:48

It's on par with the lasers, if you look at it time wise
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby adrix89 » 05 Jul 2010, 19:18

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:It's on par with the lasers, if you look at it time wise

There weaker then laser if you take into account the recharge rate and the fact that you need ammo
I would at least tweak the recharge
Besides more shots can lead to more misses
adrix89

Postby cronos » 05 Jul 2010, 21:07

The configurations are for now just suggestion that we have to test in game, when we balance the game play. The basic concept is a trade-off between the rates of fire, recharge power consumption, ammunition, range and the available energy. All weapons have to be useful, but no weapon should be always superior. Weapons are not the only things consuming energy, mowing fast or using jump jets will also consume energy.

You can use the following template to come up with suggestions.

[Name] [for Missile lunce configuration (2/4/6/8)]
Damage: []
Recharge Time: [] sec
Recharge power drain: []
Range: []/[]/[]
Ammunition: [] per ton
Lock on time: [] sec (only for smart targeting weapons)
cronos

Postby adrix89 » 06 Jul 2010, 06:12

Another thing thats bothering me is the lock on time which makes no sense
It would actually be more accurate to make the larger missiles lock on faster as there tracking system would be more advance
adrix89

Postby TheAncientGoat » 06 Jul 2010, 10:07

Adrix: Well, you can explain that as its the mech that does the locking on, and not the missile, and the larger missile takes more time for calculations...

Cronos: What about armour? Could you differentiate between energy armour for lasers, and physical armour for things like the cannons/gattling guns? That could bring in an element of balance..
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator