Usage of "basic script"?

Usage of "basic script"?

Postby Jestersage » 24 Mar 2010, 03:00

Hello everyone! I have followed the syntensity engine, and even though i am honestly just beginning to read the dcoumentations, this project begin to be very interesting!

Anyway, I do want to know: is it possible for Syntensity to load a set of predefined scripts/HUD/etc? While having the maps loads a script everytime is good for a game-oriented virtual world (aka Syntensity), if I am making a MMO game, I will probably have a set of predefined rules, and making each map load its own script could be quite inefficient.
Jestersage

Re: Usage of "basic script"?

Postby TheAncientGoat » 24 Mar 2010, 19:10

Yes, it's totally possible. You make your scripts that you want to have loaded on every map, make an asset on the server (say /library/JesterSageMmo), download that asset and put all your scripts/images in there, and then on every map you want those scripts to be loaded, just say
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
import /library/JesterSageMmo/hud.js
import /library/JesterSageMmo/hud.js
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby adrix89 » 24 Mar 2010, 21:57

Library.include('library/JesterSageMmo/hud')
More precisely
But indeed if you make it on one map there is nothing stopping you to put it on all maps
Heck you can even have some flexibility in how it runs on different map that can save you some time and maybe bandwidth
adrix89

Postby Jestersage » 25 Mar 2010, 04:17

I see. What about using precompiled stuff (of weapons, physics, HUDs, etc) ala Sauerbraten/Dark Frontier?
Jestersage

Postby adrix89 » 25 Mar 2010, 05:50

What precompiled stuff?
All things are generally done with scripts so you just have to make a library for all maps to use
adrix89

Postby Jestersage » 25 Mar 2010, 07:17

"precompile stuff", aka traditional method, is that while the map does have its own script, all the stuff basic logic will be loaded by the game, NOT the map. Obviously it was in Sauerbraten, but I do not know if such feature was taken out in Syntensity. Obviously, traditionally, you actually have to go through the code, mod it, recompile it, but perhaps syntensity would allow insertion of script that one's own master server can load?

This will be an actual a feature if one do want to make an actual MMO instead of "Virtual world that anyone can edit". If an MMO is about, say, a cowboy western FPS, you are not going to ask the map to load the script everytime the map is loaded, and then reload it again at the next map. Instead you will do it on a game level.
Jestersage

Postby TheAncientGoat » 25 Mar 2010, 10:16

It sounds like you are talking about modifying the C/C++ source of the engine, and then customizing the game on that level. This is still completely possible, but then you have to distribute the client yourself but then I think you misunderstand the concept of syntensity.. It's not just a "virtual world anyone can edit" its a "virtual world of games that anyone can edit". Games such as a cowboy western FPS can easily be made, you just create your assets, put them in a folder, and then import that folder into every map that you want to be part of that game. The entire point of Syntensity is to make it completely scriptable, and scripts will always be requested when the map loads.
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby adrix89 » 25 Mar 2010, 13:32

Jestersage {l Wrote}:"precompile stuff", aka traditional method, is that while the map does have its own script, all the stuff basic logic will be loaded by the game, NOT the map. Obviously it was in Sauerbraten, but I do not know if such feature was taken out in Syntensity. Obviously, traditionally, you actually have to go through the code, mod it, recompile it, but perhaps syntensity would allow insertion of script that one's own master server can load?

This will be an actual a feature if one do want to make an actual MMO instead of "Virtual world that anyone can edit". If an MMO is about, say, a cowboy western FPS, you are not going to ask the map to load the script everytime the map is loaded, and then reload it again at the next map. Instead you will do it on a game level.

You don't really need the traditional approach as the scripts are compiled instantaneous by the Google v8 engine and besides the maps currently are loaded Sauerbaten style so it takes some time so the only problems this would occur is when we would have some seamless transition between maps, but then again if we had that we could always treat the maps as just as one map
This method gives you the advantage over the traditional approach in that you can compile basically instantaneous on all clients(for all OS that run the platform) and a major coding update could be done just by restarting the maps
Not to mention that game balancing would be really easy
Additionally the scripts contain both code run on client and code run on server so you know exactly what you are running on all clients
In the case of mmo however you might want to tweak the network code that isn't binded in scripts(too much) witch you have to do the old fashion way
Also if you get some heavy hitting cpu functions you might want to code that in C and then bind it into scripts
adrix89

Postby Jestersage » 25 Mar 2010, 18:36

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:It sounds like you are talking about modifying the C/C++ source of the engine, and then customizing the game on that level. This is still completely possible, but then you have to distribute the client yourself but then I think you misunderstand the concept of syntensity.. It's not just a "virtual world anyone can edit" its a "virtual world of games that anyone can edit". Games such as a cowboy western FPS can easily be made, you just create your assets, put them in a folder, and then import that folder into every map that you want to be part of that game. The entire point of Syntensity is to make it completely scriptable, and scripts will always be requested when the map loads.

I think the issue at hand is that I confused between Syntensity and Intensity Engine. More properly speaking, I want to use the IE's method of doing networking and scripting for some map stuff to make my own game. In short it's no longer "virtual world of games that anyone can edit", but I want it to be a "virtual game world that is easy for the admin to edit" (notice the change of wording)

adrix89 {l Wrote}:You don't really need the traditional approach as the scripts are compiled instantaneous by the Google v8 engine and besides the maps currently are loaded Sauerbaten style so it takes some time so the only problems this would occur is when we would have some seamless transition between maps, but then again if we had that we could always treat the maps as just as one map
This method gives you the advantage over the traditional approach in that you can compile basically instantaneous on all clients(for all OS that run the platform) and a major coding update could be done just by restarting the maps
Not to mention that game balancing would be really easy
Additionally the scripts contain both code run on client and code run on server so you know exactly what you are running on all clients
In the case of mmo however you might want to tweak the network code that isn't binded in scripts(too much) witch you have to do the old fashion way
Also if you get some heavy hitting cpu functions you might want to code that in C and then bind it into scripts

Thank adrix89; seems like you understand how Syntensity differ from a MMO, especially one that want to be open source but still commercial in nature. I guess, If I consider there's uaully a few maps (even if it's a large one) in an MMO, then perhaps the "make a master script, then the map will load it everytime" could be better then "make a mater script/change code, then let the server reload said script"... need to investigate.
Jestersage

Postby adrix89 » 25 Mar 2010, 20:54

Jestersage {l Wrote}: perhaps the "make a master script, then the map will load it everytime" could be better then "make a mater script/change code, then let the server reload said script"... need to investigate.

I don't get it whats the difference?
You mean real time loading of scripts while in game?
Its not possible you have to restart(or how I like to say give it time to crash if it wants to crash) however what you don't have to do is compile binaries for all clients then send updates then shut down all servers to update to new code
Heck you can even make it almost painless by updating the scripts on maps that have less players so you gradually translate from one update to another while still keeping some servers with players although I don't know why would you'll do that since a server restart takes less the a minute as a oppose to days on some mmorpg updates
However this should not be confused with map updates that require the map to be downloaded and generally takes more time
adrix89