Linux Game Awards: Project of the Month (?)

Linux Game Awards: Project of the Month (?)

Postby Julius » 06 Nov 2013, 19:48

Hello FGD community!

The nice guys behind the Linux Game Database and Rootgamer have invited us to participate in an initiative that seeks to promote open-source games (that run on Linux).

You can read more about their plans on the (still under construction) homepage:
http://www.linuxgameawards.org/
And specifically here about the idea of a monthly award: http://www.linuxgameawards.org/award/pr ... -the-month

The FreeGamer/FreeGameDev team will likely participate in the jury, but as we were asked to come up with the first list of 10 nominees we would be happy to hear also from you which projects really deserve the special recognition in your view (comment below).

EDIT: Nominations are open until the 25th of November. Suggested list see below.
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: Linux Game Awards: Project of the Month (?)

Postby Julius » 06 Nov 2013, 19:50

As a start I would like to see Stunt Rally included, even though it doesn't run very well on my PC ;)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby charlie » 07 Nov 2013, 00:31

Off the top of my head:
STK, 0AD, Stunty Rally / VDrift (as 1), Pioneer, Red Eclipse, Xonotic, The Dark Mod, FLARE, OpenTTD, Simutrans
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 08 Nov 2013, 18:27

Also good suggestions, however I would like to propose (as an informal sort of rule) that nominees need to have had some significant development in the last 3 months, which rules out a few of the above.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 09 Nov 2013, 12:35

Unvanquished would be also a good nominee.

No further suggestions? You can even suggest your own project :D
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Evropi » 09 Nov 2013, 18:12

Not sure about Unvanquished. Should incomplete games with very large changes to the gameplay pending be included?
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby Julius » 17 Nov 2013, 14:42

true...

How about Zero-K (SpringRTS)? http://zero-k.info/
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Evropi » 17 Nov 2013, 15:43

Teeworlds is super awesome fun!

I'd recommend Warzone 2100 + ArtRev too, but I guess it was originally proprietary and therefore doesn't really count. :(
Evropi

Postby Arthur » 17 Nov 2013, 17:09

Frogatto is really fun too (though the assets are closed source).
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby alexander » 17 Nov 2013, 23:45

freeciv
alexander

Postby charlie » 18 Nov 2013, 00:09

FreeOrion!
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Evropi » 18 Nov 2013, 00:16

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead has been super active lately, owing at least partially to their successful Kickstarter campaign. :D It's a very unique FOSS game; as far I know, it's the only truly open world, open ended FOSS game out there.
Evropi

Postby Julius » 18 Nov 2013, 06:39

Frogatto is a great project, but I guess we should keep (more or less) commercial open-source games out of this for now.

I don't see why Warzone2100 would not count just because it used to be commercial... but their development has been slow lately I think.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Bertram » 18 Nov 2013, 10:47

Hi Julius, :)

I don't see why Warzone2100 would not count just because it used to be commercial... but their development has been slow lately I think.

I can't agree here. They are in RC at the moment, which means they are working on releasing something, and their commit log is quite sane to me:
http://developer.wz2100.net/timeline

EDIT: They are actually speaking of porting better textures and models, and considering a better model/mesh format atm, which will be either custom (named WZM) of open, Collada, for instance. If anybody can give the little nudge there to help about it or about better textures, we might see much better models there once that is done.

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Julius » 18 Nov 2013, 11:04

Yes lots of great upcoming things in WZ, but IMHO those have been sadly "upcoming" for a looooong time already and if I look at the current release it is not much changed from a player's point of view. I think we should keep that one for a future round once those upcoming things have actually been released.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Evropi » 18 Nov 2013, 11:57

Yeah Julius is probably right. I for one consider it a finished project, save for Art Revolution. ArtRev is not maintained in the same tree anyway and it's still a long way from replacing the old model and texture pack. Not the least of its problems is the dated game engine, which is rather poor at handling lots of polygons.
Evropi

Postby Bertram » 19 Nov 2013, 10:21

Hi again,

Julius {l Wrote}:Yes lots of great upcoming things in WZ, but IMHO those have been sadly "upcoming" for a looooong time already and if I look at the current release it is not much changed from a player's point of view. I think we should keep that one for a future round once those upcoming things have actually been released.

I agree about that, though, indeed.

Evropi {l Wrote}:ArtRev is not maintained in the same tree anyway and it's still a long way from replacing the old model and texture pack

Well, I have to disagree. Speaking about the models they have made something about a big half, and considering the official campaign, only the droids are left to do, AFAIK.
Considering the textures, those are ready but they are making neverending tweaks on them, that's right.
IMHO, this all could be integrated into the main dev stream and it would look so cool right away, but it's just my opinion. ;)

Evropi {l Wrote}:Not the least of its problems is the dated game engine, which is rather poor at handling lots of polygons.

Well, this is also wrong, as the master branch renderer isn't using the immediate mode anymore since some time now. And the devs are aware they could use better models now.
The thing is that they are concentrating in bugfixing the core engine, and improving the new scripting API atm.

So, IMHO, there is progress, but visible ones may take some time to come, indeed.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Julius » 19 Nov 2013, 17:17

ok enough OT.

Before anyone asks: Lips of Suna is probably still too much of a work in progress to qualify.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Bertram » 19 Nov 2013, 17:49

ok enough OT.

You can't blame me, I just reacted. ;P
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby amuzen » 19 Nov 2013, 18:43

Julius {l Wrote}:Before anyone asks: Lips of Suna is probably still too much of a work in progress to qualify.

I'm not strictly opposed to including it (joke option?), but setting a pre-alpha title against a bunch of mature FOSS heavyweight projects sounds like a public execution event to me. Of course, I'm all in favor of people executing the game, but you'll probably be better off nominating at least alpha quality stuff regardless. :p

I have been coding too much and gaming too little to be able to nominate anything meaningful myself, but just throw Wesnoth and a few other heavyweights to the list for good measure. Then, you'll have enough games for a whole year and you can just repeatedly award the same titles every year, in the order dictated by their community sizes. If you want to make it even more exciting, you could just ditch the voting process and award the games in a random order.
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby Julius » 19 Nov 2013, 19:35

*ouch*... but, but... it's near the end of the year and there needs to be awards :p
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Arthur » 19 Nov 2013, 23:40

Regarding 0 A.D. I think they deserve to be Project of the Month nonetheless, but I'd wait until they have gotten an alpha release out which fixes the rather glaring performance issues with their pathfinder. They've talked about it for 3 years now but still haven't fixed it, which IMO is the only thing making it painful to play and worthy to be called alpha quality software.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Bertram » 21 Nov 2013, 10:10

UFO:AI should a good candidate, and their new GUI is clever!

Unknown horizons

Widelands
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Julius » 21 Nov 2013, 11:33

Bertram {l Wrote}:UFO:AI should a good candidate, and their new GUI is clever!

Hmm... but not officially released yet. But I am inclined to add Ufo:Ai to the list.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 25 Nov 2013, 11:40

Ok, today is the last day of making suggestions for the the list of ten nominations.

I will write a short summary for each nomination and why it was chosen later today I think.
Julius
Community Moderator