Megaglest special - preparations

Megaglest special - preparations

Postby Julius » 24 Jun 2010, 16:39

Megaglest (an improved Glest fork):
http://glest.org/glest_board/index.php?board=20.0

Is relatively close to a release with a fully functioning multiplayer mode (including a masterserver), and I was thinking about making a nice Megaglest special article on the release day to promote it a bit. I talked with the creators already concerning a short interview (I will compile some questions today or tomorrow), and would also like to include a short modding introduction (Modding Glest is incredibly easy, and with Megaglest it got even more comfortable; for example the editor now work also under linux and comes precompiled with the binary).

But what would be really cool would be if we could have a nice FreeGamer match with the beta to record a video with some multiplayer footage. We would need some people capable of recording the game (with glc f.e.) and maybe also some mumble audio chat? 8 players are supported now, so almost the whole community can join *hust* :shock: :heart:
And some help with compiling the vid afterwards wouldn't hurt (I can do it, but I am not an expert in it).

What do you think?
Last edited by Julius on 25 Jun 2010, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: Megaglest special - preparations

Postby qubodup » 25 Jun 2010, 00:41

Q1: Is it possible to record games (demos) and play them back later in the engine? This would make recording easy as pie, as players and ..videographers would not have to be the same people. :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 25 Jun 2010, 12:13

Yeah that would be great, but AFAIK this is not supported. But I guess we don't need videofeeds from every player.

Up for a 1vs1 qubodup? :p
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby qubodup » 25 Jun 2010, 22:22

Julius {l Wrote}:Yeah that would be great, but AFAIK this is not supported. But I guess we don't need videofeeds from every player.

Hmm.. is it possible to spectrate?

Up for a 1vs1 qubodup? :p

Sure!
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 25 Jun 2010, 22:59

Spectator mode is sadly not possible either.
But we can play a round with video recording on I guess, no need to get overly competitive (so that the slowdown caused by glc will not matter).

Have you played the game before? If not just download the latest full release for linux:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megagle ... t_release/

and then extract the newest beta files just over it:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megagle ... evelopment

Runs like that with no prob on ubuntu10.4

I suggest you play a round or two to get into the game, and then we can record a match for example on Sunday evening? I just have to hack my firewall to allow hosting ;)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby qubodup » 26 Jun 2010, 20:58

Julius {l Wrote}:Spectator mode is sadly not possible either.
But we can play a round with video recording on I guess, no need to get overly competitive (so that the slowdown caused by glc will not matter).

I had the impression that any slowdown caused by GLC is being recorded.

Julius {l Wrote}:http://sourceforge.net/projects/megaglest/files/in_development

There's no 64bit version, I hope latest SVN work, otherwise I'd need to know what revision the latest release is.
Julius {l Wrote}:I suggest you play a round or two to get into the game, and then we can record a match for example on Sunday evening? I just have to hack my firewall to allow hosting ;)

I played some glest before and I'm sure I can host. I'm not certain I can play on Sunday, I will know tomorrow. Right now and the rest of the evening I can play, so if anybody wants to produce some network gameplay, go to webchat and /ping qubodup ;)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 27 Jun 2010, 01:02

I just got the info that the release is likely on Wednesday, so if we can record a game before that, that would be sufficient.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby silnarm » 04 Jul 2010, 05:17

things have advanced quite quickly (in contrast to the other promising Glest fork GAE)

Interesting observation. Do you actually have any idea how much work has been done on GAE ? I would seem you don't.

Especially with the recent usability improvements coming from the Megaglest team

For the record, the map editor improvements were completed almost entirely by members of the GAE team.

Great job getting your facts straight :x

This kind of bullshit makes me wonder why I bother.
silnarm

Postby ghoulsblade » 04 Jul 2010, 11:49

who said those things then / who are you quoting ?
ghoulsblade
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 04 Jul 2010, 12:17

Naa those are from my new article on the Blog.

I stand corrected on the editor improvements, I didn't research that very well. But I have changed that in the article now.

Concerning the speed of improvements... well that might be also due to a different focus on what one thinks is important. I have been (loosely) following the GAE progress for some years already, and while I can definitely see that a lot of work has gone into it (as I tried to note by the adjective "promising") it did very little to really enhance Glest in the important elements. What Glest really lacked was cross platform multiplayer and a masterserver, and both of those where implemented rather quickly by MegaGlest, while GAE (in my opinion) did not release a real, "game changing", improvement over Glest so far (after being developed for a long time).
I really though about including that side comment about GAE, but I wanted to mention that project too yet this is really what my feelings are about it.
Julius
Community Moderator