irrlamb 0.1.0 is out

irrlamb 0.1.0 is out

Postby jazztickets » 07 Jan 2010, 05:57

So after 2 years of starting/stopping work on irrlamb, here it is:

- Completely updated the game's graphics
- Added 12 tutorial levels + 2 skate levels
- Added ability to set shadows, filtering, and AA in config file.
- Added cylinder objects
- Physics are now framerate independent
- Cleaned up level format
- Cleaned up Lua API
- Reduced replay file size
- Removed boost dependencies
- Updated irrlicht to 1.6
- Updated bullet to 2.75
- Added SQLite for level stats
- Fixed various bugs
- Removed audio, old levels, and grapple for now
- Refactored lots of code

Download:
http://code.google.com/p/irrlamb/

HD video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PemiIKVOsqQ
Last edited by jazztickets on 07 Jan 2010, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
jazztickets

Re: irrlamb 0.1.0 is out

Postby charlie » 07 Jan 2010, 12:14

Wow looking very impressive :shock:
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby qubodup » 07 Jan 2010, 12:22

Now that I have given it a try: I like it! The skateboarding levels look like fun I'm looking forward to. I like how you have an "irrlamb" blog and an "irrlamb" YT channel. Everything is just perfect! Great video too, good hinting at the fact that the tutorials might be useful. :)

I am desperately missing sounds. What do you think, are you good without any? For me, they are crucial.

If you decide to start implementing sounds, please do not use BASS, irrklang or FMOD, as they are not open source. Instead: Audiere. There is also an experimental, no yet ported audio physics library Phya.

I recorded some marble rolling sounds. I will link them as soon as they're uploaded if you think they could be useful.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby qubodup » 07 Jan 2010, 14:12

Here they are. The marble sound is probably the best.

Also I found out about a proprietary game that involves controlling a rolling thing in a 3D environment. Might be inspirational.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Sindwiller » 07 Jan 2010, 16:33

Obviously, there's also Neverball that's worth checking out... I will try the new irrlamb release soon, I hope^^
My gamedesign blawg!
<remaxim>well, it is called freegamedev... means you develop games for other people for free xD

.Net/Mono is a rabid beast cursed with M$-specific limitations and sh*t. XNA isn't much better. Remember that, kids.
Sindwiller

Postby qubodup » 07 Jan 2010, 16:40

Sindwiller {l Wrote}:Neverball

:eew:
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby jazztickets » 07 Jan 2010, 19:07

Thanks guys. SFML has a decent audio library. It uses OpenAL. Audiere stopped development a long time ago, which was what i was using before. I might just make my own, since i've always wanted to learn OpenAL.

Yeah, i recall seeing a physics audio library like that. A good resource for when i decide to put audio in, for sure.

Qubodup, remember when you called irrlamb the neverball-killer? That caused quite the stir with those neverball folk.
There was one level in the Mehdi set that i never got passed. The game has great polish though. My game just has a better control scheme :p

Nice video by the way. I had to record at 25 fps because kdenlive had problems exporting higher framerates for some reason.
jazztickets

Postby qubodup » 07 Jan 2010, 22:01

What happened to the old levels though? I loved that glacier one for example :)

jazztickets {l Wrote}:Qubodup, remember when you called irrlamb the neverball-killer? That caused quite the stir with those neverball folk.

You mean with the slashdot folk? :D
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby jazztickets » 08 Jan 2010, 19:13

The level format completely changed, so i would have to redo all the old levels from scratch. This time around i wanted to start fresh with new polished levels, instead old ugly levels. I'll definitely reuse some of the old ideas in new levels though. The glacier level was pretty good. I've never seen so many people press harder on the keyboard before. :)
jazztickets

Postby Sindwiller » 08 Jan 2010, 20:28

Huh, why are the default movement keys e-d-s-f? Isn't that just a tad unorthodox to begin with? :P
My gamedesign blawg!
<remaxim>well, it is called freegamedev... means you develop games for other people for free xD

.Net/Mono is a rabid beast cursed with M$-specific limitations and sh*t. XNA isn't much better. Remember that, kids.
Sindwiller

Postby qubodup » 08 Jan 2010, 20:58

Sindwiller {l Wrote}:Huh, why are the default movement keys e-d-s-f? Isn't that just a tad unorthodox to begin with? :P

PRAISE THE ESDF! THE ESDF IS ALLMIGHTY! PRAISE IT!

PS: irrlamb is the game that taught me ESDF.. now more than 1 year ago?
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby jazztickets » 08 Jan 2010, 21:53

Haha nice, hadn't seen that site before. But yeah, the first two bullet points on that site explain it all. Once you get used to it, you'll never go back. After that you'll also be addicted to heroin, but it'll be worth it.
jazztickets

Postby Sindwiller » 08 Jan 2010, 22:08

I'm pretty sure I won't be able to play Freelancer, X or Quake better with ESDF - it doesn't even make sense ergonomically. :P
My gamedesign blawg!

Sindwiller

Postby andrewj » 09 Jan 2010, 03:56

Sindwiller {l Wrote}:I'm pretty sure I won't be able to play Freelancer, X or Quake better with ESDF - it doesn't even make sense ergonomically. :P

Huh? it makes a lot of sense.

For one thing, it is the most natural place for the left hand fingers, having the index finger on the F (which usually has a little bump on the key so you can find it without looking). With WASD you have to move one key to the left -- well I assume most people do that (pressing forward/back with the ring finger feels weird).

Secondly it gives more keys nearby to use, i.e. Q,A,and Z with the little finger. In Quake3 I use 'A' for lightning gun, 'Z' for zooming and 'Q' for one of the missionpack weapons -- and it definitely helps.
andrewj

Postby scrawl » 12 Jan 2010, 21:22

Looks promising :p I've just downloaded it. However, it doesn't compile until I added -lGL flag. Did you forget that in the makefile?

Edit: -lXxf86vm is missing too. Now it compiles :) The game has a very interesting concept, its fun. Now what's missing, are more levels and sounds. I would love to create some levels, maybe you can make a kind of quick-howto? I'm familiar with Blender, if that matters.
Last edited by scrawl on 13 Jan 2010, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
scrawl

Postby p98 » 12 Jan 2010, 21:27

Great news about irrlamb :)
I like this game - it's very simple ;)
p98

Postby jazztickets » 13 Jan 2010, 22:09

scrawl {l Wrote}:Looks promising :p I've just downloaded it. However, it doesn't compile until I added -lGL flag. Did you forget that in the makefile?

Edit: -lXxf86vm is missing too. Now it compiles :) The game has a very interesting concept, its fun. Now what's missing, are more levels and sounds. I would love to create some levels, maybe you can make a kind of quick-howto? I'm familiar with Blender, if that matters.

Interesting. What distro are you using? Irrlicht has the -lGl and -lXxf86vm flags when you build the shared lib so it shouldn't be necessary. Some distros might build it differently though, so feel free slap a new ticket in here if you feel it's in error: http://code.google.com/p/irrlamb/issues/list

I'm working on adding OpenAL in, so the next version should have sound in it. You can visit this page to see what's happening under the scenes:
http://code.google.com/p/irrlamb/updates/list

Having the community make the levels would be nice. That would give me more time to add in features, since right now it's a one-man team. I'll try to put up some level making tutorials within the next few weeks.
jazztickets

Postby qubodup » 13 Jan 2010, 22:19

jazztickets {l Wrote}:I'll try to put up some level making tutorials within the next few weeks.

I'm holding all my four thumbs up for that! :cool:
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby jazztickets » 22 Jan 2010, 19:43

Fellow irrlambers (?)

First level editing tutorial:
http://code.google.com/p/irrlamb/wiki/LevelEditing

There is some more shiz i should put on there, but for now i can hopefully get some feedback on the tutorial. Experience with blender is recommended.
jazztickets

Postby scrawl » 29 Jan 2010, 17:49

Great, nice one :)

But I have one problem, I can't install the irrb exporter. I've unpacked the zip to /usr/share/blender/scripts , but irrb won't show up in File->Export .

Edit: Shame on me. ofc i must unzip to $HOME/.blender/scripts. Now it works.
scrawl