OpenGame Store- The first video game store open source world

OpenGame Store- The first video game store open source world

Postby opengamestore » 31 Oct 2016, 22:04

A cordial greetings to the whole community; Felicitos beforehand and my sincere admiration for the talent they have to create some great games. I introduce myself, my name is Luis Alfonso Vega Chavez, I'm from Venezuela Zulia state student two races: ing System (standing) and computer science; dealer, defender / supporter of the values of free software and aware of the benefits of open source pragmatists.

Always and I had the vision of a video game industry based on philosophical and pragmatic aspects of free software and open source, where there is mutual benefit and distribution of knowledge among its parts (game developer, developer and development tools user), this is could say collective intelligence, sim however, is considerable that the games open source currently exists today, still it lacks charisma (so to speak) for serving as a reference for the outdated video game industry which dominates today.

No need reproaching the deficiencies that currently have, nor determine the cause of them, or raise a thesis explaining the why of things, I think q all be clear about it, why I mention my proposal for all those who might be interested: OpenGame Store- The first video game store open source world

beta image page status

Technically speaking, the page is displayed on wordpress, using the WooCommerce plugin to give it the characteristics of online store, sumándoles a topic and use plugins for final details; It is not the most professional, however, could be considered as a good start and someday become a platform in the purest style of STEAM.

Some feature that owns the page are:

*Joint Financing System
*Market deals (The user decides the price of the game)
*Free advertising
*Advertising revenue (adfly and I will be used to generate revenue uploads)
*Investment fund for the deployment of strategic projects that benefit the community (you, we, the community of free software)
*Video game sales

The requirements that will be necessary for the game are part of OpenGame Store are:

*Game source code
*The source code must be licensed under a free software or open source
*Using an open source engine for game development
*Someplace where a third party can contribute to the development of the game (forum, forging software, etc.)
*Documentation of the tools used

Nota:

Not handling very well English, to write this publication, I had to resort to google translator, my apology before hand. Thank you very much.
opengamestore

Re: OpenGame Store- The first video game store open source w

Postby Taknamay » 31 Oct 2016, 23:22

This looks beautiful, and an awesome concept for our community. I wish you good luck in this endeavor.
Check out the #freegaming tag on fediverse.
Taknamay

Postby opengamestore » 31 Oct 2016, 23:32

Thank you so much, it is gratifying to know that my project raises some interest in the community, I aspire to have the support of all developers, so that podemas forward together and shape this industry (video games) as we dream, my fan pagehttps://www.facebook.com/OpenGame/, the web Store http://opengamestore.com.ve/ (not preopcupe if you get nothing, all the time do tests, delete and install again).
opengamestore

Postby Lyberta » 02 Nov 2016, 01:03

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby Duion » 02 Nov 2016, 01:25

Your idea looks okay, I would give it a chance, but as Fatony said already, close that facebook stuff.
Duion

Postby Taknamay » 02 Nov 2016, 02:28

FaTony {l Wrote}:I didn't want to spoil it, but I'm working on a FOSS alternative to Steam which will be based on peer-to-peer approach where anyone can host their server and they will all contribute to the whole community.

Good idea, I look forward to it.
Check out the #freegaming tag on fediverse.
Taknamay

Postby opengamestore » 02 Nov 2016, 06:35

FaTony {l Wrote}:I'm against advertising. It is abused so much that whenever I see ads (it is rare because I have disabled most of WWW stuff in my browser), I instantly close the page. Also, Facebook is pure evil. I suggest avoiding it.

Otherwise, my preferred way to get free games is the official repository of my GNU/Linux distro. I have no problem giving money and I have donated to quality games, but I would never pay up front because I want to try the game first.

Finally, I think the most ethical way of making money doing free software is crowdfunding via sites such as Patreon or Snowdrift.

I didn't want to spoil it, but I'm working on a FOSS alternative to Steam which will be based on peer-to-peer approach where anyone can host their server and they will all contribute to the whole community.

I think that the world is huge and diverse enough to enable them to live both proposals, diversity constribuye in generating different perspective and approach that then form part of the generation of new ideas for the same problem; if we talk about perspective one might mention the fact that there are different gnu / linux distributions, some share the same purpose, but not all share the same solution; however, if we talk about criteria, things change even more, in our case, the open source games, you think that advertising is not a good means ethical to generate income (I think so) but for my part, for I is not very likely that crowdfunding is implemented as the only means of income (like it or not, money is needed to create better games, as well as taking into account the development of open source games as a way to earn a living), both we have a different approach on how to solve a problem, but does not have to be disabled some of our proposals. In any way any initiative coontribuya the progress of free software in general, because I think it's great, so I wish you every success, really love to see me a sample of their work, and who sabe¡ in some future work together.

about what facebook is a difficult cancer to cure :(
opengamestore

Postby shirish » 04 Nov 2016, 17:09

I have used f-droid and the games thereon with some success. Hopefully it will lead to creation of some new games, specially some old turn-based crpg foss games ;)
shirish

Postby Arthur » 04 Nov 2016, 20:48

I'm not sure what this improves on over Itch.io or Lutris.net? The main challenge is getting a game known, but then it gets exponentially harder if the platform itself which hosts it also needs to become known. I am aware the ones I mentioned are not that well-known, especially Lutris, but they have open source clients and have been developed for some time already.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Lyberta » 04 Nov 2016, 21:38

Deleted.
Lyberta

Postby Arthur » 04 Nov 2016, 22:03

Okay, but you are probably one in a hundred million. Most people like to have the choice, for me it would be preferable with proper tagging so you can filter for only open source games if you so desire. We have to realize that the number of open source games are most likely in the low hundreds, and among them a small percentage will be drawing enough people to be vaguely significant.

Does not mean I think the original poster should give up, or anyone else for that matter, but at this point it's not really compelling for anyone not being all for the free and open source cause (to the point of excluding other games). Those people are very likely to know about most of them already, especially from interacting with package managers. What a game store would be good for would be reaching a larger audience, but without that audience... chicken and egg problem.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Lyberta » 04 Nov 2016, 22:14

Deleted.
Lyberta

Postby opengamestore » 05 Nov 2016, 00:30

shirish {l Wrote}:I have used f-droid and the games thereon with some success. Hopefully it will lead to creation of some new games, specially some old turn-based crpg foss games ;)

Not if in some future can gain the joy of being able to create open source games, but what if I am quite sure that seeketh the menera is to encourage the development of open source games, as well as support those already created. Be assured, I just need the opportunity.
opengamestore

Postby opengamestore » 05 Nov 2016, 00:46

FaTony {l Wrote}:I wouldn't use the platform which sells or distributes proprietary games. So, I would support a store that distributes only libre games. But I think it is the duty of the packet manager to install and update games.

I want to be the same developers who publish, update, receive criticism of their games in the store, the web will have to manage vendors (in this case developers) so that they themselves those who sell, publish their projects (games and collectibles) items.
opengamestore

Postby opengamestore » 05 Nov 2016, 07:12

Arthur {l Wrote}:I'm not sure what this improves on over Itch.io or Lutris.net? The main challenge is getting a game known, but then it gets exponentially harder if the platform itself which hosts it also needs to become known. I am aware the ones I mentioned are not that well-known, especially Lutris, but they have open source clients and have been developed for some time already.

While it is true; Itch.io, Desura, Game Jolt, Lutris.net; are already consolidated platform, they open each have a source customers and has a mass user reviews, do you really contributing, benefit or contribute to the deployment of open source video games? maybe I will not find the ability to offer all this at the beginning of the store, but something if I can assure you, is my total commitment to open source video games.

From what I commented, I could understand something about to be a shop only for games open source daria as a result, a smaller number of users, but you do not believe that a generic store will lead to greater competition open source games? I want to open surce games that have the need to compete with commercial games in my store when the only thing that interests me is the benefit of the first?

If fear lies in the low mass of users that the store will be going to do, I think it is in my hands find the best strategies to solve this problem.
opengamestore

Postby mdwh » 23 Nov 2016, 20:35

One of the benefit of being Open Source only is it's an attraction towards users who want to find such games. It's nice to go somewhere where you have a guarantee of getting free software (not "free" actually meaning crippleware or something).

F Droid is a great example of this, on Android.

I think an important aim for a distribution platform is being popular for users, not just developers. Otherwise you might as well just stick your game on a website (or use one of the many hosting sites that already exist for free software). Itch is great in what it offers for developers, in terms of free hosting, but it doesn't seem to be a place to drive users to your game.
mdwh