OA3 WIP

OA3 WIP

Postby leilei » 16 Dec 2015, 04:37

Please keep discussion on topic i.e. OpenArena3

Anyhoo, to be brief.... it's OA rebooted to not suck art-wise (strictly the anime), performance-wise (p6 target) and technical-wise (strict polycounts and texture sizes/surfaces). It's been on the down low with mostly myself and a few concept contributors for a few years, and i'm going to be a little more open about it. Still GPLv2.

The development is mostly closed right now with no public repository for assets as I want to avoid the too many cooks syndrome OA suffered from with inconsistent quality, and have a clean tidy repo when it's time. It's a bunch of loose files with gibberish filenames right now. Code repositories are public though, with no contributions or even testing :/

A lot of my art bottleneck is in the character animation process, trial and erroring all the way through with blender's buggy ik / rigify rigs.

hope i explained enough. OK WIPs begin here:

Yesterday I made this character head for a Lamia player which I concepted the day before. It turned out okay and shows where i'm going with the art direction
leilei

Re: OA3 WIP

Postby Akien » 16 Dec 2015, 10:00

leilei {l Wrote}:First off, Julius is banned from this thread. I don't want to hear the same tired old missing-the-point "your game is pointless play xonotic today" engine/originality/asset flip fallacy idle spiel that gets nobody nowhere.

Nice way to start a post, by banishing one of our moderators from it... I don't know what history you have with Julius, but I've been around for a couple of years and haven't particularly noticed such "missing-the-point fallacies" from him. Anyway, you don't start off very well to showcase your work...

leilei {l Wrote}:The development is mostly closed right now with no public repository for assets as I want to avoid the too many cooks syndrome OA suffered from with inconsistent quality, and have a clean tidy repo when it's time. It's a bunch of loose files with gibberish filenames right now. Code repositories are public though, with no contributions or even testing :/

You bet. If the assets are not available and have "gibberish" filenames, I wouldn't expect many devs to think: hey, that's clearly the engine I want to work on without being able to see the assets! Being open source is not everything, one also needs to be open minded to get open contributions...

leilei {l Wrote}:Yesterday I made this character head for a Lamia player which I concepted the day before. It turned out okay and shows where i'm going with the art direction

Looks pretty cool! I'll be intrigued to see how it turns out art-wise in this OA fork, but it looks definitely interesting :)
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby Calinou » 16 Dec 2015, 13:38

Why can I visibly see triangles in a model made in 2015? I want FLOSS games to look good.

Engine features do matter, but asset quality probably matters more.

leilei {l Wrote}:The development is mostly closed right now with no public repository for assets as I want to avoid the too many cooks syndrome OA suffered from with inconsistent quality

Set up quality standards, and default to open.

leilei {l Wrote}:Still GPLv2.

Learn to Creative Commons. As long as you use the free variants, you'll be fine. :)
Calinou

Postby Vandar » 16 Dec 2015, 14:34

For newbs like me, what is OA at all? These two letter are too little to successfully google anything ...
In soviet russia, code debugs you.
Vandar

Postby Calinou » 16 Dec 2015, 16:20

Vandar {l Wrote}:For newbs like me, what is OA at all? These two letter are too little to successfully google anything ...

It's a FLOSS FPS based on ioquake3: http://openarena.ws/
Calinou

Postby Vandar » 16 Dec 2015, 16:26

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, definitely not my cup of tea, I'm not made for such games.
In soviet russia, code debugs you.
Vandar

Postby charlie » 16 Dec 2015, 16:35

Sorry leilei, you don't get to ban people from threads. I made your notice more polite, since I do think the sentiment (that the thread should be about OA3) is reasonable. I'm sure Julius will refrain from questioning the purpose of the project.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby charlie » 16 Dec 2015, 16:38

Calinou {l Wrote}:Why can I visibly see triangles in a model made in 2015? I want FLOSS games to look good.

That's a rather shallow way of looking at it. It is highly unlikely it would be seen at that level of detail anyway (when has a character's head taken up nearly half of your screen in an FPS?) and I think it is important to keep the asset requirements realistic. Incredible levels of detail will mean that leilei will be taking months to create just a few assets and then the game will never be complete.

Personally, I thought it looked really good and am looking forward to seeing more.
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Andrettin » 16 Dec 2015, 18:07

charlie {l Wrote}:
Calinou {l Wrote}:Why can I visibly see triangles in a model made in 2015? I want FLOSS games to look good.

That's a rather shallow way of looking at it. It is highly unlikely it would be seen at that level of detail anyway (when has a character's head taken up nearly half of your screen in an FPS?) and I think it is important to keep the asset requirements realistic. Incredible levels of detail will mean that leilei will be taking months to create just a few assets and then the game will never be complete.

Personally, I thought it looked really good and am looking forward to seeing more.

Yup, agreed. I loved the painterly style of the model.
Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator

Postby leilei » 16 Dec 2015, 22:22

Unrealistically high expectations from a single hobbyist are one of many cancerous sins in the FOSS gamedev community, and ignorant, discriminative posts like this are a part of why I never post here (or show this project around in general because people don't understand the importance of having any technical art direction)

leilei

Postby Akien » 16 Dec 2015, 23:34

leilei {l Wrote}:Unrealistically high expectations from a single hobbyist are one of many cancerous sins in the FOSS gamedev community, and ignorant, discriminative posts like this are a part of why I never post here (or show this project around in general because people don't understand the importance of having any technical art direction)

Alright, I guess we understood that you're way cooler than all of us and that you despise this community. Now, if you want to "showcase" stuff, do it as anyone would do: show stuff and sound enthusiastic about it, don't start with ad hominem attacks and then continuing on your frustration at the "cancerous sins in the FOSS gamedev community"... If we want to be insulted gratuitously we can hang out on reddit, we don't need that here.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby charlie » 16 Dec 2015, 23:58

Looks very cool leilei. To be fair to the 'FOSS gamedev community', while 1 person was a bit daft in their response*, the rest of us were very positive. You can't pin the attitude of 1 on everybody else. Every community has some silly posters.

* (honestly, this looks way better than 99% of the models in FOSS games, yet Calinou thought it was justified to throw in some totally indefensible criticism?)
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby leilei » 17 Dec 2015, 13:16

Christmas harvester tree base
Snake portion of Lamia modeled
leilei

Postby Andrettin » 17 Dec 2015, 13:45

I like it. Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason why you chose to give the Lamia pointy years? Or did you just like it that way?
Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator

Postby leilei » 18 Dec 2015, 03:31

Stylistic reasons, and if they're ever pointed it's always a wide horizontal. They're also nice for 3d when determining where the player is looking better

When there isn't a pointy ear there will be a pointy helmet, pointy hat or pointy hair instead.

The anime style is also considered for player visibility reasons, and before anyone brings up the apparent fanservice i've already implemented a _safe model system to load alternate meshes and textures by player choice with a renderer cvar (r_suggestiveThemes) or at compile time with a switch (i.e. conservative distros). This is considered internally for years without any alleged, assumed pressure.
leilei

Postby andrewj » 19 Dec 2015, 05:36

Calinou {l Wrote}:Why can I visibly see triangles in a model made in 2015?

OpenArena (and the OA3 reboot) are not targetting computers of 2015, more like computers of the Quake3 era (2000 or so).

Hence models have a polygon and texturing budget that is very strict by today's standards.
andrewj

Postby leilei » 05 Feb 2016, 23:13

I made a rocket launcher model, still polishing on the skin. Hopefully it looks like it shoots rockets

Image Image
looks a bit blurry, may have to redo the UVs (512 is the desired texture size for this)
leilei

Postby leilei » 03 May 2016, 13:33

Since the last post, rogue had a bit of a makeover amongst other things

animations wip

youtu.be/WNES5in5-lw
leilei

Postby leilei » 13 Jul 2016, 11:26

Reworked the particle system
- ported to the renderer subsystem, rather than have it in cgame
- it's much faster as a result and a Pentium (as in P54C+) can handle it
- fully working stretchy sparks that bounce
- water splashes
- burst particles (obvious on the blood in this video)
- switchable particle sets (still very incomplete, i plan to have multiple flavors of game imitation particles for user preference)

youtu.be/a3PFD_ZsVcM
leilei

Postby lord8 » 05 Feb 2017, 13:55

hi,
is the sbobovyc blender mdr import export script work with openarena or ioquake3
i see it's made for combat mission 2 is that format the same

https://github.com/sbobovyc/CM2Tools
http://community.battlefront.com/topic/ ... ing-tools/
lord8

Postby leilei » 20 Feb 2017, 01:46

Not the same MDR.

MDR = Model Raven = Raven's modified/finished MD4 scrap code left over in Q3 done for Star Trek Voyager Elite Force = skeletal MD3 w/ internal LODs.

No blind IQM evangelism/debates please. I have my reasons for using MDR
leilei

Postby lord8 » 20 Feb 2017, 03:38

leilei {l Wrote}:Not the same MDR.

MDR = Model Raven = Raven's modified/finished MD4 scrap code left over in Q3 done for Star Trek Voyager Elite Force = skeletal MD3 w/ internal LODs.

No blind IQM evangelism/debates please. I have my reasons for using MDR

is there any way to make mdr models in free/libre software only?
lord8

Postby Lyberta » 20 Feb 2017, 05:11

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby lord8 » 21 Feb 2017, 03:38

will md3view work to export md3 to mdr
https://md3view.codeplex.com/
even if md3view work the problem that is not in GNU OS
maybe can some dev port it
lord8

Postby leilei » 22 Feb 2017, 00:32

Currently the pipeline calls for Blender 2.66+ with an IQM exporter and Noesis (Windows) as a IQM->MDR converter until there's this fabled ninja programmer that can even make a io_export_mdr.py

Converting from a vertex morph format such as MD3 will not be ideal at all.
leilei