The Key of the World needs your help

The Key of the World needs your help

Postby rogerdv » 24 Apr 2015, 15:53

A couple of months ago I officially presented the project, and a few things have changed. The idea found some interested people here in my country and now we are a team of one programmer/writer (me), 2 modellers actively working, 2 more interested in working (one of them is a writer too), one concept artist/musician, and another programmer interested in joining the team.
Currently we are in technolgy testing phase, and decided to use Unity3d 5. Why Unity for an open source project? Well, our short term goal is to complete a playable game and get familiar with the game development process. The long term goal, or dream, (1 and half years) is to establish our own game studio and create a commercial product. Urho3D was insufficient, even when we were still in early stages of development, and probably will be insufficient for a commercial quality title. Also, the artists insisted that it looks much better :D .
What do we need? First of all, we are requesting donations. Most of the team members dont have internet access, Im coordinating work through email and phone calls (long distance phone calls), sms, whatever. I lost my home PC 2 years ago and managed to build another, but it lacks case and the PSU died some weeks ago. Also, the team deserves some motivation, as some of them doesnt even have enough hardware to run the game.
Well, you might ask, why should I donate to an open source project? Will get it for free anyway. I agree there is no reason, but consider we are offering the source code (documented) of an unity project. If for some licensing reason, the whole project has to be removed from git, the scripts code will be available. All the art is going to be available under CC, including good quality, fully animated, modular characters.

We are also, in the spirit of Kicksstarter campaigns, offering some interesting rewards for sponsors:
$10 or more: you will be listed on the credits (yes, in that README file that nobody reads)
$20 or more: your name will appear in some place inside the game
$30 or more: your will name an NPC, tavern/shop or unique item
$40 or more: your will name an NPC, and it will lead a relevant faction or a location in the game
$50: Seriously? Are you that crazy?

How to donate? As the forum doesnt lets me to insert the donation button, I have enabled on on each blog I keep. Follow the links at the post signature and look at the right sidebar.

Game features:
- Open world.
- 6 classes, but most disciplines are available to all classes.
- Long, boring dialogs, with the interesting choices disables because of attribute/skill requirement not met.
- Many different creatures (although some of them will share same model) that you can kill, and unlike Pillars of Eternity, get XP for doing so.
- Old style, hardcore quests quests. You will often find yourself wondering what to do next (use Google when it happens).

We are open to contributors willing to join, specially programmers experienced with Unity.

You can get the current project code in github repo, and the art is being released under CC license in OpenGameArt (check http://opengameart.org/content/the-key-of-the-world).
See here a little animation test.
Art test:
rogerdv

Re: The Key of the World needs your help

Postby rogerdv » 22 May 2015, 15:27

Quick update, our first scene:

rogerdv

Postby charlie » 23 May 2015, 01:07

Looks really promising! Nice work.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby rogerdv » 23 May 2015, 14:19

Will be on the repo next month, together will the assets uploaded to OGA. Lack of internet is really hurting the project.
rogerdv

Postby charlie » 23 May 2015, 15:03

Well if this is the project "hurting" then I look forward to seeing it progress when healthy!
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby farcodev » 23 May 2015, 23:43

Pretty cool o.O
farcodev

Postby Julius » 24 May 2015, 03:25

Are you planning to release all the art assets on OGA? They look really nice... the game itself, well if it wasn't running on Unity3D I would be excited :-/
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby rogerdv » 25 May 2015, 12:40

As promissed in the first post, all the assets will be available under CC license. Also, the code is open.
I would like to be using Urho3d or godot, but they are quite limited now.
rogerdv

Postby Imerion » 27 May 2015, 15:22

Looks nice indeed!
Try my games! : My Games - Read my FOSS Games Blog! : Free Game News
Imerion

Postby rogerdv » 19 Aug 2015, 17:10

In game screenshots of the scene (click to see the image in full HD).

And this one is special, it is the linux build of the project, during night.

I remind you that we still need donations for hardware.
rogerdv

Postby Nikita_Sadkov » 20 Aug 2015, 00:32

Looks great.

Offtop: I doubt that a game using Unity really constitutes as being free. It is more like a mod for a commercial game. The license is free unless you make more than 100,000 USD, but USD is a victim to inflation, so the license is worse than time-limited - it's expiration data is unpredictable.

Then again, the source code is controlled by a commercial entity, so you can't really modify or fork it, like you can do with Linux or Ogre3D. In case Unity gets out of business or brought by MS, all programs using it will become unmaintainable.

So people desiring to support really open project may have better result donating to a game based on Ogre3D or Blender Game Engine or maybe the engine devs themselves.
Nikita_Sadkov

Postby Julius » 20 Aug 2015, 07:50

Obviously this isn't a real open-source game if it uses Unity... but their open development style and the contribution of art assets to OGA is very much appreciated.

I thought about moving this thread to the Off Topic section, but I guess it is abundantly clear that this is based on Unity.

P.S.: The lightning looks really bland right now, otherwise nice work so far.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Nikita_Sadkov » 20 Aug 2015, 09:11

Julius {l Wrote}:Obviously this isn't a real open-source game if it uses Unity... but their open development style and the contribution of art assets to OGA is very much appreciated.

If Unity gains enough momentum and becomes the industry standard, it is possible there will be an open source implementation of its API, so an open source game using it wont hurt, just because it would help to test the implementation and get feedback from users.
Nikita_Sadkov

Postby charlie » 20 Aug 2015, 11:03

It looks amazing rogerdv, great work.

Re: open source, the project is open source. It has a non-FOSS requirement in Unity but the game still fits the criteria for FreeGameDev in my opinion.

Of course, the end result is not a Free Software game but - as Nikita_Sadkov says (can't believe I'm agreeing with him) - it leaves the door open for a fully Free implementation down the line. In the meantime, rogerdv can get on with implementing a good game without drowning in coding the engine.
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby rogerdv » 21 Aug 2015, 15:42

Julius {l Wrote}:
P.S.: The lightning looks really bland right now, otherwise nice work so far.

Indeed, we are still polishing the light issues.
rogerdv

Postby Evropi » 21 Aug 2015, 18:28

Random thought I got looking at the latest shots: if this is going to be relatively linear and narrative driven (as opposed to Diablo style), consider recalling the PS2-era RPGs which had fixed camera angles.

My favourite JRPG, Lost Odyssey, created some really cinematic and memorable moments with its fixed camera angles -- and they're all part of the gameplay! It's easy to set up a camera to make things look amazing just by knowing the basic principles of photography.

But if it's an action-RPG with heavy focus on mobility, I guess it is probably best to use a scrolling camera.
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby rogerdv » 24 Aug 2015, 12:51

I have improved the old style isometric view adding rotation and zoom (it is something I always wanted to do). The camera is not attached to the character, so you can freely scroll. And yes, I plan to include some heavy action with large scale battles.
rogerdv

Postby Danimal » 31 Aug 2015, 23:38

Hi guys, did you add die animations to the main character? i want to use your rig for OD models and thats a very critical animation, if you did, could you reupload it to OGA?
Thanks and excuse my shamelessness
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby rogerdv » 01 Sep 2015, 13:21

The uploaded models are not the official one we are going to use (havent received that yet). We plan to use ragdoll for death animation, thats why the models dont include one.
rogerdv

Postby Danimal » 01 Sep 2015, 16:31

Oh, pity; thanks anyway for the great animations and model.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby rogerdv » 01 Sep 2015, 17:13

The upcoming models are better textured and has a more logical subdivision (hair,head, torso, arms, hands, legs, feet).
rogerdv

Postby Thomos » 18 Oct 2015, 15:07

It looks great, I'm looking forward to future releases.
Especially if NPCs and conversations are added.
currently working on WorldGrower, a 2D turn-based rpg sandbox game.
Thomos

Postby rogerdv » 21 Oct 2015, 15:58

Thomos {l Wrote}:It looks great, I'm looking forward to future releases.
Especially if NPCs and conversations are added.

Im planning an alpha release in january, Conversations will be there (they are already implemented).
rogerdv

Postby Thomos » 22 Oct 2015, 18:21

I look forward to it.
currently working on WorldGrower, a 2D turn-based rpg sandbox game.
Thomos

Postby rogerdv » 22 Apr 2016, 19:26

Even when the project is officially abandoned, I keep using it as workbench to test code before implementing features in my attempt of commercial project. Here is a video showcasing basic gameplay features.

youtu.be/52U1eDNVPnQ
rogerdv