SimpleInertia - Another simple prototype

SimpleInertia - Another simple prototype

Postby bgordebak » 13 Mar 2015, 23:29

This is a simple prototype of a simple idea. I had another prototype here but this one is different enough, so I decided to post its own topic.

The idea is simple. You're pulled to one of the eight directions every three seconds randomly. You try to oppose the force by trying to go to the opposite direction (For example, if you're pulled to up-right, press left and down). If you reach the blue rectangle's borders, you die.

This one is much less frustrating than the other prototype. I can survive in this one more than 4 minutes easily.

This is just a prototype to test the idea. So any feedback is appreciated. Do you think this can be a basis for a fun game?

Here's a screenshot:

simpleinertia.png

Here's the LÖVE file:

simpleinertia.love
(11.14 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
I am 2D.

And I am @purplegordebak
bgordebak

Re: SimpleInertia - Another simple prototype

Postby andrewj » 14 Mar 2015, 06:17

I didn't find it fun.

I think it's pretty hard to come up with a completely new game mechanic which is really fun, and that's why most FLOSS games (if not most games in general) use the same game mechanics from a previously existing game.

E.g. Galaxians, Phoenix, and Galaga (etc) all inherit the same basic game mechanic from Space Invaders -- a ship at bottom of screen which moves left and right and shoots at alien spaceships.

Kudos for trying to find something new though.
andrewj

Postby bgordebak » 14 Mar 2015, 06:23

andrewj {l Wrote}:I didn't find it fun.

I think it's pretty hard to come up with a completely new game mechanic which is really fun, and that's why most FLOSS games (if not most games in general) use the same game mechanics from a previously existing game.

E.g. Galaxians, Phoenix, and Galaga (etc) all inherit the same basic game mechanic from Space Invaders -- a ship at bottom of screen which moves left and right and shoots at alien spaceships.

Kudos for trying to find something new though.

Thanks for the feedback! It's much appreciated.
I am 2D.

And I am @purplegordebak
bgordebak

Postby Julius » 15 Mar 2015, 01:19

Hmm could be turned into a sort of reverse super hexagon type of game, but I doubt it would hold much longer term interest.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby bgordebak » 15 Mar 2015, 13:36

Julius {l Wrote}:Hmm could be turned into a sort of reverse super hexagon type of game, but I doubt it would hold much longer term interest.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree, it's hard to hold interest in a game like this.
I am 2D.

And I am @purplegordebak
bgordebak

Postby qubodup » 03 Apr 2015, 21:49

Add cool sounds, increasingly tense music (you can just speed it up after each pull survival) and increase in difficulty and it will be fun for a few minutes :)

youtu.be/3YW3AR9IuHo
qubodup
Global Moderator