H-Craft Championship now open source (3D racing game)

H-Craft Championship now open source (3D racing game)

Postby c_xong » 02 Mar 2015, 03:17

Maybe a bit late, but H-Craft Championship has now been released as open source :zlib: (assets are still freeware, however), on Feb 25.

It is a sci-fi 3D racing game, released for Windows / Linux in 2007, and made using Irrlicht.

- Project site: http://www.irrgheist.com/games.htm
- License: zlib (code), freeware (assets)
- Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn4K6_BIvug
c_xong

Re: H-Craft Championship now open source (3D racing game)

Postby qubodup » 04 Apr 2015, 04:17

To play the release on Arch Linux, I had to install tslib from AUR and link to it:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
ln -s /usr/lib/libts-1.0.so.0.0.0  libs/linux_shared/libts-0.0.so.0

It's very intense. I'll check out the Android version later.
Video:

youtu.be/uYw7cWq0uF8
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Vandar » 07 Apr 2015, 23:03

I keep forgetting about this, but it's one of the few games I actually want to try ...
In soviet russia, code debugs you.
Vandar

Postby Akien » 08 Apr 2015, 06:47

It's one of those games that always made me wish that they were open source... and now it is! :D
I've had a look at the code and from my perspective (as a distro packager), it would need to be updated to use the latest irrlicht engine instead of its embedded (and patched?) version. Then it could be easily packaged by distro maintainers and get a new life :)
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby Vandar » 09 Apr 2015, 11:37

Finally got to try it. Well made, very addictive, quite fun. But I don't think I want to mod it, or do something with the source. The only thing I'd like to see added is more variety of music.
Vandar

Postby Vandar » 05 May 2015, 15:06

Almost through it, currently got 104 of possible 108 points in the championship mode (i.e. 4 races left, where I didn't score full points). Not sure what to do when I have a perfect score. Since one can't redistribute modified art and since it's not Java, I don't think I can play around with the code a lot ...

One of the few games which didn't affect my mental problems in a bad way. It actually helped to get rid of some real bad mood periods. It seems the intense focus without any fear-inducing aspects such as RPGs usually have helps me.

A nice game, gratulations to the makers :) I think I'll just start a new championship and race all tracks again.

PS: I'm under the impression that the last hover that you get, the bulldog, isn't the best. Actually I reverted to the second, the shark, and won most tracks with the shark. I think it is faster than the bulldog, and the worse steering precision of the shark can be leveled more easily by the player than the missing speed of the bulldog.
Vandar