ness-engine: a new open source scene-based rendering engine

ness-engine: a new open source scene-based rendering engine

Postby TheNess » 09 Aug 2014, 22:11

Hi all! I hope this is the right forum to post this, if not my apologies. :)

As a hobby project I've written a scene-graphs 2d rendering engine based on SDL2.

if you are not familiar with the concept it means that entities can be put inside scene nodes and transformations are inherited (such transformations include color, blend mode, position, scale, rotation, and more..). in short, it's a really cool rendering engine, totally free (zlib license), and you can make some really cool things with it! here it is:

Ness-engine.com

it includes lots of built-in features such as camera, z-ordering, lighting, multi-line text, canvas entity, sprite animators, and much much more! also it's very optimized so all you are left to do is writing your game biggrin.png note: this is not a game engine, it's a rendering engine with extras.

just for a cool example, the following game is only 100 lines of code! (source included in the example projects page):

anyway I think it could be really cool for indie developers who are into 2D games, hope some early birds try it out ;)
will appreciate any feedback and improvements ideas.
thanks in advance!

here are some more pics of example projects:
TheNess

Re: ness-engine: a new open source scene-based rendering eng

Postby onpon4 » 10 Aug 2014, 02:36

Your website would be worlds better if it was a plain static website rather than that JavaScript crap. I have to allow requests to some third party and allow scripts from both there and the main site to see anything, which is unreasonable. If it has something to do with your web host, you might want to consider using a different one, maybe even github.io.

EDIT: Also, this is proprietary, so it's not appropriate here. If you want to make it appropriate, get rid of that "may not be redistributed" notice (which has no legal effect; just reminds users what copyright does by default) and put a libre software license on it. Try here:

https://gnu.org/licenses/license-recommendations.html
onpon4

Postby Akien » 10 Aug 2014, 07:30

onpon4 {l Wrote}:EDIT: Also, this is proprietary, so it's not appropriate here. If you want to make it appropriate, get rid of that "may not be redistributed" notice (which has no legal effect; just reminds users what copyright does by default) and put a libre software license on it. Try here:

https://gnu.org/licenses/license-recommendations.html

Where do you see that it's proprietary? The code is under the zlib license: https://github.com/RonenNess/ness-engin ... ENGINE.txt

(BTW it would be nice to add a LICENSE.txt file to the root of the github repo).
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby onpon4 » 12 Aug 2014, 21:52

The first thing I saw was this file:

https://github.com/RonenNess/ness-engin ... e/main.cpp

/*This source code copyrighted by Lazy Foo' Productions (2004-2013)
and may not be redistributed without written permission.*/

If it's under the zlib license, that's ok, but this really should be clarified: get rid of this contradictory notice and make notices that the source files are under the zlib license prominent. As it is, it's incredibly unlikely for anyone to learn their rights.

There's an additional problem, too: if someone contributes to this, where the license is not prominently indicated, how can you be sure their contributions are also under the zlib license?

Please make this proper: preferably put a notice that the program is under the zlib license on the top of each file, but at the very least put a copy of the license in a place that is more obvious.
onpon4

Postby TheNess » 15 Aug 2014, 14:02

hi onpon4, Akien, thank you for your replies!

about the site using annoying javascripts, the site is designed with wix, so all the javascript work is out of my control :/ I do have the knowledge and ability to develop a full functioning website, but this time I decided to go for the easy way and just use wix's html5 editor. so yeah that's the downside of it I guess.

about the main.cpp file - that file was not supposed to be there! it was a temporary testing file and it somehow slipped in. sorry about that, the file was removed :)
anyway yeah the license is zlib, which is a very permissive license I know so I picked it. if you have a recommendation for a more suitable license (as permissive as possible) let me know and i'll check it out.

I will take both your advices - add a LICENSE.txt file to the repository and add a comment at the beginning of every file with the license notice.

TheNess

Postby onpon4 » 15 Aug 2014, 15:01

That's good. I do notice you missed several cpp files when you added the license headers: in renderer, renderable/nodes, managed_resources, resources, scene, and utils. I think those are the only ones you missed.
onpon4

Postby TheNess » 15 Aug 2014, 15:58

yeah I wasn't sure if I should add the notice to the cpp files as well. now I did. thanks again for the feedback, I hope the licensing is ok now ;)
TheNess