AwesomeRPG - Open Ended RPG platform

AwesomeRPG - Open Ended RPG platform

Postby GunnerWolf » 26 Feb 2014, 19:34

Awesome RPG:
Awesome RPG is a simplistic game shell designed around the idea of allowing the community to shape it as they see fit.

What do you mean 'Game Shell'?
All content in the game from items to quests to classes are fully customizable via XML files.

Also, due to the fact that the game is completely open source, the community can modify the game any way they see fit, from adding graphics to changing the game's genre altogether.

Whilst the base game itself will be fairly minimal on content and features, this does not mean I expect the community to do all the work for me, I will still release patches to iron out bugs etc, and I will frequently create mods/content packs of my own.

Why are you making this game?
I am creating this game because I believe that a community should choose how a game is shaped, and I would very much like to see the outcome. I also believe that sometimes, less is more and the fact that almost all features are completely optional adds to that.

Why is it called AwesomeRPG? That's a stupid name!
Why not? I'm not really making it to be some addictive, catchy AAA game, it's just to prototype an idea, develop my skills, and hopefully build a small community.
Who says it has to have a creative, original name? It's my game and I'll call it whatever I want! :x

tl;dr: Because I can.

Where can I download it or get the source code?
The source and all downloads can be found on the project page at https://sourceforge.net/p/awesomerpg
This work is licensed under The MIT / X Window System License

Currently I am working on:
> Multi-Quest support - Currently the game will support only 1 quest.
> Classes - This is the only feature that I haven't even started working on yet.
> XML Editor - An easy to use content editor that provides a simple GUI for adding/editing the XML content files.
> Cleaning up the code - If you've looked at the source code, you've probably seen how messy it is.

Can I help?
Sure! I'm always looking for help!
If you're a programmer and wish to help out here and there, you can post commits on the git repository on the project page.
If you're a programmer and wish to help out long term, PM me and we'll sort out something for communication (eg skype)
Likewise if you are a graphics artist (Currently looking for an artist to help me improve the Interface from the default Windows Forms interface)
Last edited by GunnerWolf on 26 Feb 2014, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
CEO of Iron Genesis
C# programmer always willing to do a little work, commissioned or volunteer, just PM me.
Developer of AwesomeRPG
GunnerWolf

Re: AwesomeRPG - Open Ended RPG platform

Postby Julius » 26 Feb 2014, 20:44

Cool project. I recommend you have a look at the many LiberatedPixelCup open-source 2D RPG assets at www.opengameart.org as a base for this game.

It would be also nice if you could specify a seperate license for the source-code, as CC-by-SA is not a well suited license for source-code and (when used for code) is also incompatible to the GPL.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby GunnerWolf » 26 Feb 2014, 21:20

Julius {l Wrote}:Cool project. I recommend you have a look at the many LiberatedPixelCup open-source 2D RPG assets at http://www.opengameart.org as a base for this game.

It would be also nice if you could specify a seperate license for the source-code, as CC-by-SA is not a well suited license for source-code and (when used for code) is also incompatible to the GPL.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely take a look at that art.

As for the license, I totally forgot about the GPL, I'm so used to using CC for my work xP
I'll get that sorted out in a sec.

EDIT: Fixed, I opted to use MIT/X license instead due to the fact that I really don't mind what people do with the source code.
CEO of Iron Genesis
C# programmer always willing to do a little work, commissioned or volunteer, just PM me.
Developer of AwesomeRPG
GunnerWolf

Postby GunnerWolf » 18 Mar 2014, 03:39

So I just realised I'd managed to incorrectly export the project for uploading to SF, meaning the downloaded file wouldn't work. My bad :I
It's fixed now, simply extract the zip and run setup.exe
CEO of Iron Genesis
Developer of AwesomeRPG
GunnerWolf