Xoreos: Bringing the Aurora Engine to Linux

Xoreos: Bringing the Aurora Engine to Linux

Postby FutureSuture » 22 Aug 2013, 19:35

Duffadash {l Wrote}:I just learned about the existance of the Xoreos project. The project aims to re-implement Bioware's Aurora engine and all the games based on it.

Eventually this will mean that the following games will run under Linux:

• Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2
  • Dragon Age 1 and 2
  • The Witcher
  • Jade Empire
  • Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.
The Projects homepage can be found here. And the current code is hosted at GitHub.

Xoreos is currently being maintained by Sven Hesse and Matthew Hoops who also has had a lot of experience from working on ScummVM. Although they have requested some support recently to help keeping the project going.

A mailing list has been created for those interested.

I have also created a GOG wishlist entry, for official support from CD Projekt in supporting The Witcher. (Which I doubt will happen, but I figure it's worth a shot.)

The above was quoted in its entirety. This is the source.
FutureSuture

Re: Xoreos: Bringing the Aurora Engine to Linux

Postby Julius » 22 Aug 2013, 19:46

Actually not "off topic" as it is licensed GPLv3+, but I think it has been discussed before. But I am still moving it to the showcase forum.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Radegast » 23 Aug 2013, 12:52

I don't think CD Projekt would be able to officially help a third party in reimplementing the Aurora engine even if they wanted to as it is owned by Bioware. However, only a symbolic help from the Witcher developers would give Xoreos big boost as I know very well from my own game reimplementaion project.

VOTE FOR XOREOS (this petition needed a bigger button)
Enemy Territory: Legacy - http://www.etlegacy.com - a Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory source port
Radegast

Postby FutureSuture » 29 Aug 2013, 22:53

Julius {l Wrote}:Actually not "off topic" as it is licensed GPLv3+, but I think it has been discussed before. But I am still moving it to the showcase forum.

Thank you! As it isn't my own project, I didn't think it belonged there.

Radegast {l Wrote}:I don't think CD Projekt would be able to officially help a third party in reimplementing the Aurora engine even if they wanted to as it is owned by Bioware. However, only a symbolic help from the Witcher developers would give Xoreos big boost as I know very well from my own game reimplementaion project.

VOTE FOR XOREOS (this petition needed a bigger button)

Any help would be appreciated, as you said. :)
FutureSuture