Übergame FPS

Re: Übergame FPS

Postby charlie » 20 Mar 2015, 13:38

You should probably update the top post with the github page:
https://github.com/Duion/Uebergame

Looking good. Alpha 0.02 sounds very exciting!
http://www.moddb.com/games/uebergame/ne ... ersion-002
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Duion » 20 Mar 2015, 18:14

Yes, you were right, lots of very outdated info in there, I updated all.
Duion

Postby Duion » 16 May 2015, 23:29

Übergame is now also on Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =443787613
Duion

Postby Imerion » 19 May 2015, 00:02

This looks very well made, with some impressive art and functions! Haven't tried it yet, but as soon as a binary version for Linux is out there I'd love to try this!
Try my games! : My Games - Read my FOSS Games Blog! : Free Game News
Imerion

Postby Duion » 19 May 2015, 10:49

Version 0.02 has Linux binary, just download it, but beware Linux has still its issues, but it should run in most cases.
Duion

Postby Vandar » 19 May 2015, 14:38

I'm wondering if the Übergame will have Überzwergs?
In soviet russia, code debugs you.
Vandar

Postby Duion » 19 May 2015, 15:17

If you can make them you can integrate them.
Duion

Postby Vandar » 19 May 2015, 15:34

I just don't like the use of the "Über" word. It reminds too much of "Übermensch" (superior human) and also reminds me of nazi germany. I don't really understand why the word has become part of the English ... but Überzwerge are just a joke, "Es gibt Zwerge und Überzwerge", spoken with a "ch" sound for the "g".

It's a bit like me wondering why the heck a game engine is called "Sauerbraten" - that is marinated beef, and I don't get the link from this sort of food to gaming.
Vandar

Postby Duion » 19 May 2015, 16:06

It sounds funny to me how English use this word and all other good names were either taken or did not describe my project and I did not come up with a better name and now that is the way it is. The problem is that people always complain afterwards, but until then you are left alone with the decision-making how to do things and so after some time I just take the next best option and go on with my work.
Duion

Postby Evropi » 19 May 2015, 18:16

I've always known "Übermensch" is a term from the philosopher Nietzsche. Linking it to some Nazi slogan is pushing it IMO, you can make any term offensive if you try hard enough. The real problem with the term "Übergame", which doesn't tell you anything about the game. Doesn't suggest anything about its theme (futuristic?), etc.
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby Duion » 19 May 2015, 18:47

It tells you something about the game, think of it in terms of über=meta both terms have similar meaning, but the term metagame was already used quite much. So it refers to a supercategory of a game which contains multiple subcategories of games.
Duion

Postby andrewj » 20 May 2015, 09:57

I wouldn't worry about the name, Duion. Some people get too hung up on the names of projects. E.g. "Halo" tells me nothing about that particular game, yet it was an extremely successful franchise for Microsoft.
andrewj

Postby Evropi » 20 May 2015, 10:21

Actually, 'Halo' says a lot about the curvy aesthetic used across many environments in Halo (incl. the iconic halos in the sky), as well as the music in that game. Über makes me think of, I don't know, the mobile app that taxi drivers are protesting about?

You can fit into more than one genre and still have non-restrictive and interesting marketing, that's all.
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby Duion » 20 May 2015, 10:35

In the past I did mapping and modding for various games as a hobby, but it always turned out to be a waste of time since they were proprietary and restricted, so I thought I would need a game superior to that, where I can play around with freely. Basically that is the story behind it.
Duion

Postby Vandar » 20 May 2015, 11:55

In my experience game development as a hobby is a waste of time in 90% of the time. Unless you do it, because you enjoy the doing. Then the time is not wasted, because it brought joy to you. My own solution is - stop a project once it feels like work, and no longer like something I enjoy doing. Unless I am aware that it's just a phase of boring work, which will open up other, interesting fields to work on later. Then I bite the sour apple and do it anyways.

Other resons for "not a waste of time" include learning and training. My skills improved a lot over "wasted" work on projects which never got off the ground. So even if the projects got nowhere, I could do the next project with better skills.

Finding good names for games is hard. Furthermore, it is very hard to rename a project later on, once the initial name has become known.

I see I mixed things up with the "Übermensch" association. The word roots back to the ancient greece philosophers and it was indeed Nietzsche who made it popular. Sorry about that.

I still don't like the inflation of the "Uber" syllable in English, but that's just a personal thing. Don't worry about it.
Vandar

Postby qubodup » 21 May 2015, 02:55

I'm able to run the Linux32 binary but can't record it with glc, so I made a slower ffmpeg recording:

youtu.be/F9jDJN4efy8
(framerate is ok when not recording)

It looks very nice!
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Duion » 21 May 2015, 09:20

The terrain texture blending is wrong on Linux, originally it is not that blurred.
Duion

Postby Duion » 31 Oct 2015, 23:52

Übergame is now available on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/391780

Now is a good time, if you want to play the game with others, since there are many players now out there.
Bad news is the Linux version is still relatively unstable, but should work at least for some people, but I only compiled and tested for OpenSuse.

If some programmer here reads this and wants to contribute, I could still really need some help, since the release made me very busy.
Duion

Postby Imerion » 01 Nov 2015, 14:21

Nice! I've been hoping to hear more about this! :)

I can't help you with contributing code I'm afraid, but I can help you test the Linux version. Downloading 1.03 from your homepage now. (I don't use Steam much.)
Imerion

Postby charlie » 02 Nov 2015, 12:54

Added Uebergame to the FGB Steam Group.

I would also give it a positive review but I'm on Linux so can't run it yet. It does seem like this should be Earl Access though.
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Duion » 02 Nov 2015, 17:52

The problem is, most distribution platforms are not really made for continuous projects, so they have no option for it. I did not decide for early access, since I thought it is free anyway, so anybody can have full access all the time, maybe it would have helped to explicitly mark it as work in progress, because people do not read the descriptions.

However, it comes with a Linux version, but it is not stable yet, so I did not mark it as Linux supported. If anyone wants to try, the game comes with a Linux binary.
If someone wants to help testing Linux, get int contact with me, maybe it helps with debugging to have a few people with different distributions and different hardware setups and I really need to get servers going, maybe some others can try to setup a server and see if they can get it stable.
Duion

Postby Imerion » 11 Dec 2015, 03:18

I finally got around to testing this, but the binary is 32-bit only and I use 64. I don't have time to try and compile it myself for the moment sadly, but if someone provides a 64-bit binary I'll gladly test things! :)

If you can't do it yourself, would you be okay with submitting the game to GetDeb? http://www.getdeb.net/
That would make it easy to install and play, but I understand if you want to wait until the Linux version is more stable.
Imerion

Postby andrewj » 11 Dec 2015, 08:24

Imerion {l Wrote}:I finally got around to testing this, but the binary is 32-bit only and I use 64. I don't have time to try and compile it myself for the moment sadly, but if someone provides a 64-bit binary I'll gladly test things! :)

You can run 32-bit software on 64-bit Linux, mainly need to install 32-bit versions of any needed libraries.
andrewj

Postby charlie » 11 Dec 2015, 10:54

I added the Steam link to the original post.
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Duion » 12 Dec 2015, 02:35

Yes, Linux is not ready yet, the 64-Bit version has some issues and some people had compatibility issues in general. Someone suggested me I should make a build machine with Ubuntu Linux to minimize compatibility issues, since this is what most people use. So I will see if I can get all done for the next version, then I will look into that site also.
Duion