Puzzle Moppet open-sourced under the WTFPL

Re: Puzzle Moppet open-sourced under the WTFPL

Postby qubodup » 05 Jul 2012, 16:35

Thanks, Knitter!

The non-flac sounds are only 3.9MB and if you convert all .wav to .ogg (currently some are .ogg, some .wav; source code will have to be modified to include other file names, not sure if this will cause problems for looping/fast-feedback sounds), they are only 2.5MB.

It might make sense to shorten watery.ogg, which could reduce it by 0.5-1MB further. I can do this if you think it's a good idea.

Do you plan to include the .flac files? I'm not sure what I would do.

Same question about .blend files.

I've got a feature request already: Coop mode with 2 players :lol:

A new project should be started for such major changes.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Knitter » 05 Jul 2012, 17:02

I'm still looking at what files are available and what needs to go where. I think I would like to have the raw assets available in the repository. I don't expect them to change much but it would provide an easy way of getting everything together.

Currently, all existing files (not yet committed) make up for almost 60MB. I have some files that I need to replace/removed (I haven't looked at the original textures in the source folders) so the size will decrease.

qubodup {l Wrote}:
I've got a feature request already: Coop mode with 2 players :lol:

A new project should be started for such major changes.

Let's see if we can get the repository up and running :) and I've already found some minor issues with the current code (screen going blank with some camera changes, not picking the correct resolution on small screens) that would need to be fixed before any new features be added.
Knitter

Postby xDan » 05 Jul 2012, 23:44

hehe, it's inspiring to see such activity :) The cat is out of the bag! I look forward to testing with the new assets, when I can find a desktop PC and not my current slow and old laptop.

Two comments:

- I'm certainly happy for you to keep the name "Puzzle Moppet", it's not trademarked or anything.

- "speedcore.ogg" was created by me with "HammerHead rhythm station" --> http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/

It seems those "speedcore" loops on freesound were also created with HammerHead.

Though strictly speaking, I'd say even those ones on freesound are a bit questionable, if you look at the hammerhead FAQ:
http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/faq.shtml

The program author doesn't even seem to know the license for the samples... So I don't really know the answer, except it's "probably" ok.
xDan

Postby MCMic » 06 Jul 2012, 12:19

I played it, and while at first I thought "yet another sokoban", the levels are quite good at using the 3D aspect!
I think this is easily gonna enter official repos of GNU/Linux distribution.

It crashed once through. (sorry, got no debug info)

And the first time I got to the end of the first level, it lagged a little, like if it needed to load the spiral animation for the boy, while it did not happen with further level. If this is really a loading thing, we should look at loading this animation earlier.

And one more thing, it felt weird cause on the first level I thought of zooming with mouse wheel but it did not work, and after when the game tells you that you can, it works. Why disabling the feature before introducing it? A lot of people will naturally try the wheel to zoom in my opinion.

PS : I used the official download, I did not try compiling the git one yet. When I do I'll package it on AUR I think.

Oh, and thanks xDan for allowing us to use the name puzzle moppet, I tried to come up with a new one and found nothing xD
MCMic

Postby xDan » 06 Jul 2012, 14:49

All asset files were supposed to be preloaded in main.cpp, but maybe I missed something? or it might be a shader loading/compiling, or just a quirk of the graphics driver... or could even be audio related.

About zooming:
> Why disabling the feature before introducing it?
I thought the user might accidentally zoom too far out or something before knowing how to control the zoom properly (I have seen that happen). Not everyone is an experienced gamer...

I'd be quite sad if you didn't use the name Puzzle Moppet to be honest :)
xDan

Postby MCMic » 06 Jul 2012, 17:10

But the zoom out is limited, we can't zoom "too far out"! I don't see how the maximum zoom out would prevent a user from playing correctly…

The sound of these fan thing is horrible, I had to mute the sound…
Last edited by MCMic on 06 Jul 2012, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.
MCMic

Postby MCMic » 06 Jul 2012, 18:15

Hum, managed to build the source using irrlicht 1.6.1 and ODE 0.12, but it won't launch, it segfault before doing anything else.
I had to add this to the CMakeLists.txt in order for the game to build :
set(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "-DdSINGLE")

We should start by removing the trial version feature from the open source version :-)
MCMic

Postby qubodup » 06 Jul 2012, 18:25

MCMic {l Wrote}:But the zoom out is limited, we can't zoom out at a point where we can't play!

Grammar mistake? In any case, I agree that confusing an experienced player is better than confusing an inexperienced player.
EDIT: MCMIc tells me on IRC that "since there is a limit on zoom, you can't zoom out 'to much' so it's safe to allow zooming before the player gets taught about it."
Since xDan actually went through the work of testing this, I trust his opinion more on this design decision.

The sound of these fan thing is horrible, I had to mute the sound…

You haven't told us which version of the game you play. With new or old sounds?
EDIT: on IRC, MCMic tells me, that it's the original version.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby MCMic » 06 Jul 2012, 18:44

qubodup {l Wrote}:
MCMic {l Wrote}:But the zoom out is limited, we can't zoom out at a point where we can't play!

Grammar mistake? In any case, I agree that confusing an experienced player is better than confusing an inexperienced player.
EDIT: MCMIc tells me on IRC that "since there is a limit on zoom, you can't zoom out 'to much' so it's safe to allow zooming before the player gets taught about it."
Since xDan actually went through the work of testing this, I trust his opinion more on this design decision.

I thought that what happened for xDan was this :
1) a user is confused by zooming out without wanting too -> xDan disable zooming before the game tutorial introduce it
2) a user zoom out too far and freaks out -> xDan limit zooming out to a reasonable point

So the first modification is not needed anymore, but it's still here. See, I really thought this was a mistake and not a real design decision.
But if it is and he did encounter a player confused by the actual zooming out system in the first level, it's OK for me.

All I can say is that I was confused by this disabled and then enabled zooming thing :-)
MCMic

Postby xDan » 06 Jul 2012, 18:53

well, if you do zoom out a lot it becomes hard to see the puzzle. it's quite a long limit. also, actually, the particular instance now I remember was a user zooming -in- too far by accidentally touching the mouse wheel, and then it was a bit confusing for them.

they were a total gaming newbie though, possibly not the sort of person that would even find the game in the first place. So actually I don't really have much clue what is the correct thing to do :P
xDan

Postby MCMic » 06 Jul 2012, 18:59

Oh, I did not thought about zooming in, that's another problem ^^
MCMic

Postby xDan » 06 Jul 2012, 19:05

maybe it could have different zoom limits on the first few levels, so the user can zoom, just not too far in or out. Then give expanded limits after the tutorial..
xDan

Postby MCMic » 06 Jul 2012, 19:40

xDan {l Wrote}:maybe it could have different zoom limits on the first few levels, so the user can zoom, just not too far in or out. Then give expanded limits after the tutorial..

That's quite a good idea :-)

Let's not confuse anyone :-D
MCMic