Art assets remain non-free.
Donations can be made via bitcoin if desired.
As for the game itself, it's a very good puzzle game.
Also available on Desura for those who use it: http://www.desura.com/games/puzzle-moppet
A sort of "official" git repository has been created here: https://bitbucket.org/Knitter/puzzlemoppet
And here's a thread for Converting Puzzle Moppet assets.
So if you would like to help package/replace art assets/fix bugs/enhance the game/fork/whatever, please join in.
Here's the README file included with the source code:
> Info regarding the open sourcing of Puzzle Moppet.
> LICENSES / COPYRIGHTS
- All source code, (*.cpp, *.h) files should be considered to be licensed under the WTFPL (version 2.0). *except where otherwise noted*
- All assets (textures, sound, 3D models) should be considered only *freeware*, and may only be used in "Puzzle Moppet" and may NOT be re-used in other projects. This is because a lot are from purchased asset packs with copyrights owned by various other entities.
> BUILD INSTRUCTIONS
Hmm. It's a long time since I built Puzzle Moppet so I don't entirely remember the procedure.
CMake is used. Take a look in the build directory. (./cmake.sh; cd Linux; make;)
Some third party libraries are required: Irrlicht 1.6.1, ODE, OpenAL...??
Irrlicht 1.6.1 is expected to be in the thirdparty subdirectory. (Note the version, 1.6.1. Later versions won't work without significant effort).
> OTHER NOTES
Some minor patches were made to the Irrlicht 1.6.1 source code which have since been *lost*. The ones I remember are:
- an opengl tweak to fix the sea's transparency in the final scene of the game
--> In COpenGLMaterialRenderer.h, COpenGLMaterialRenderer_TRANSPARENT_REFLECTION_2_LAYER::OnSetMaterial
Change glBlendFunc(GL_ONE, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_COLOR) to glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA)
- in linux, changing to use XRandR rather than XVidMode fixed an occasional fullscreen freezing problem.
- some modifications to the OS X device, to do with it crashing at certain screen sizes...
--> http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/forum/v ... 11#p254941
> SOURCE CODE QUALITY DISCLAIMER
Garnet Games disclaims all responsibility for any sudden onsets of mental retardation which result from viewing the Puzzle Moppet source code.