The Explorer Project

The Explorer Project

Postby Carver413 » 29 Sep 2013, 20:18

The Explorer project is the research and development of a more modern opengl framework for the pascal language. in the first phase I am focusing on tool developement, one of the biggest hurdles a small time developer has is game assets. good artists dont usually work for free so the more we can do without them the better off we are. programs like Gimp are very powerful but can be rather time consuming to use. with the Explorer I can create a simple script, run it , and see the results. tweek it a bit and run it again. I can build a libary of scripts that can be repurposed for other projects. the Explorer's gui is scripted as well so we could add a custom interface to our script if we so desire. we can even mix the two to give our gui a custom look. the explorer's brush is very powerful but not real fast since it is all on the cpu. but still in the time it would take to open a dialoge in gimp the explorer could create a very complicated texture without a single layer. the photo's I'm sharing today are all create with a script except the skull of course. it is a tattoo design that I pull off google to show the blending abilities. still need some work to remove the white background.
Attachments
Wood.jpg
Skull02.jpg
Skull02.jpg (117.03 KiB) Viewed 4541 times
Skull01.jpg
Skull01.jpg (119.05 KiB) Viewed 4541 times
Carver413

Re: The Explorer Project

Postby farcodev » 29 Sep 2013, 20:56

Interesting but two questions:

1/ Do you have a website?

2/ Do you know about GLScene, an OpenGL framework for Delphi/Freepascal?
farcodev

Postby Carver413 » 29 Sep 2013, 23:18

Sorry no web site an yes I have played around with glsene. only about half of it works with linux, something about the clib that was made for kylix. anyway with this model I am only using 3.0+ no deprecated stuff. it is built on a custom link list design where all objects are managed by the framework. scripting is built into the framework and replaces redundancys like Tpersist and streams. since I hope to use this for Rpg developement at some point I don't want a big complicate framework weighing it down. still there is lots of useful stuff in glsene and others that I will be looking at in the future. not tring to reinvent the wheel but make it a little beter if I can.
Carver413

Postby Carver413 » 27 Sep 2014, 16:39

download/file.php?mode=view&id=8429
just an update. I am currently involved in creating a 3d hex map design. this map as well as the textures were create from scripts and noise mostly.
Attachments
Hexmap.jpg
Carver413

Postby farcodev » 29 Sep 2014, 00:09

Pretty cool, that could work out for any wargame
farcodev

Postby Carver413 » 29 Sep 2014, 03:24

Yes I suppose it would work well for wargames, for my own purpose I'm going for more of a rts/rpg something like spellforce. The game I have in mind is very large in scope. so I think this design will be a good choice. also I plan to try to create most of the content for the game from within the game it self. imagine if I were to design and build all of the models from wood like a wood worker would do. that is what I have in mind at the moment. the bone system is already set up for that as you can see from the blue man in the photo. of course he still needs quite a bit of work but it is the overall design that keeps me busy at the moment.
Carver413