It's alive! Egoboo \o/

It's alive! Egoboo \o/

Postby Akien » 06 Feb 2015, 00:07

Most of you open source aficionados probably know Egoboo, there was a time where it was one of the only 3D open source RPGs/dungeon crawlers available (it's still a great one btw).

Development had been stalled for years (last release in 2008), but it seems to be alive and kicking now: https://github.com/egoboo/egoboo
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Re: It's alive! Egoboo \o/

Postby c_xong » 06 Feb 2015, 07:51

Looks like they're in the middle of a huge rewrite since December; no new binaries have been released yet. Not sure how far along they are; unless you're part of the core dev group I'd wait until the other shoe drops.
c_xong

Re: It's alive! Egoboo \o/

Postby Akien » 06 Feb 2015, 10:20

c_xong {l Wrote}:Looks like they're in the middle of a huge rewrite since December; no new binaries have been released yet. Not sure how far along they are; unless you're part of the core dev group I'd wait until the other shoe drops.

Yeah I don't bring my hopes too high :) I'm just glad to see some work done on this beast, it shows than open source is definitely the best model also for "abandoned" games. A small team of devs can always fork the project and try to resurrect it.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien