Youtube

Youtube

Postby farcodev » 20 Jul 2014, 14:57

I don't know if you are aware of the new YT story about the big Youtubers that provide coverage of game in exchange of $$.

I know that in the principle nothing is new but between that and a sort of trial and error about censuring certain game videos by certain editors make me really itchy.

It's sure that concern only indy/AAA games and we, the open source community, are beside all this dollars circus but my concern is that, again, the commerce continue to destroy time after time what was the internet at the original core.
I say that and I'm a capitalist, go figure.

recap of the story on RPS: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/16/a-storm-in-youtuber-heaven/
farcodev

Re: Youtube

Postby Evropi » 21 Jul 2014, 14:50

Commercial video content is great, actually, and should be allowed and encouraged.

Samual, Xonotic dev understands very well that media by YouTube commentators is an extension of the game. With their witty and interesting commentary, they add value to the experience.

Nintendo is a very infamous example of how proprietary game companies can really hurt gaming media. They used to routinely take down videos or disallow people from recording gameplay, especially around the time of release for one of their games.

By contrast, Minecraft has thrived and has become the best selling PC game of all time, its initial push being brought on by YouTube personalities such as JX23 and The Yogscast. It is extremely impressive for a game with almost no advertising budget. Personally, I don't find sandbox games like that fun at all and need some form of direction; yet I immensely enjoy watching let's plays of Minecraft and other such games to the point that I purchased it and then forgot about it.

Don't forget that big American TV networks make a lot more money than the YouTube division of Google.
If you want to retain that 'indie' and 'new media' feel of the early internet, encouraging independent content creators (i.e. YouTubers) to do it for you, perhaps with money attached. is certainly acceptable. Some may make a small living from their videos, but as I pointed out above, they can create an enormous amount of value and still break the mold of 'traditional' media. This factor is not to be ignored. The medium is the message.

Exploit it to the success of indie--without watering down the message, but strengthening it.
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Re: Youtube

Postby Gekon » 11 Nov 2014, 20:53

It's still getting big, many youtubers now receive alot of cash for some gameplays, reviews etc. Its depends how many viewers u have.
Gekon