Road Redemption to become open source?

Road Redemption to become open source?

Postby charlie » 30 Mar 2014, 21:12

Road Redemption is a Road Rash like game (curiously I came across the video after viewing the Open Rash video so hat tip there!) and is kickstarter backed. What really piqued my curiosity is the statement 3.5mins or so into their trailer / promo video that they will "release" their source code, art assets, and project files. I quote "release" because that may not necessarily mean an open source license. That much was not disclosed.

Still, it definitely is interesting to see this kind of thing coming out of commercial (albeit independent) development houses.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Re: Road Redemption to become open source?

Postby Akien » 30 Mar 2014, 21:48

charlie {l Wrote}:Road Redemption is a Road Rash like game (curiously I came across the video after viewing the Open Rash video so hat tip there!) and is kickstarter backed. What really piqued my curiosity is the statement 3.5mins or so into their trailer / promo video that they will "release" their source code, art assets, and project files. I quote "release" because that may not necessarily mean an open source license. That much was not disclosed.

It does sound like a free software licence though: "[People may] expand upon it, mod it and make something of their own. You can use our assets and project files in creation of your own similar game or your own very different game."
But yes, I agree with you, it doesn't state precisely what kind of licence (it will most likely have at least a NC clause). Sounds good, though :-)
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien