Help crowdfund a game about surveillance

Help crowdfund a game about surveillance

Postby Taknamay » 20 Feb 2014, 03:44

I just finished playing the demo for this game, it's quite fun! And it has a theme of state surveillance.

https://back.nothingtohide.cc/

Nothing To Hide

Official description: In this anti-stealth game, you're forced to help with your own surveillance. Act like you're always on stage. A fake smile for the camera. If you can't hide who you are... you have to hide who you really are.

Remember, your voice can be more powerful than your money. Spread the word as far as you can if you want this to succeed.
Check out the #freegaming tag on fediverse.
Taknamay

Re: Help crowdfund a game about surveillance

Postby charlie » 20 Feb 2014, 10:59

That is an awesome website! Looks like the kickstarter campaign is going very well too.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Taknamay » 22 Feb 2014, 06:14

charlie {l Wrote}:That is an awesome website! Looks like the kickstarter campaign is going very well too.

Well, it's not kickstarter. Just a minor thing ;)

Anyway, I am not as hopeful. I am trying to share in as many places as I can because $27000 is a lot to raise in 20 more days.
Taknamay

Postby Julius » 22 Feb 2014, 13:28

IMHO: $40,000 for a game like that (looks like a flash game one guy can make in a month) and then not even using a well known crowd funding platform? I am surprised they even got more than 10k already.

The idea is cool and all that, but this is not something I can be motivated to support (and I am a huuuge supporter of anti surveillance efforts).
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Taknamay » 22 Feb 2014, 14:10

Julius {l Wrote}:IMHO: $40,000 for a game like that (looks like a flash game one guy can make in a month) and then not even using a well known crowd funding platform? I am surprised they even got more than 10k already.

The idea is cool and all that, but this is not something I can be motivated to support (and I am a huuuge supporter of anti surveillance efforts).

You cannot support it because it accepts pledges directly? In that case, I think that's just unreasonable :p anyway I am pretty sure kickstarter or indiegogo would not have allowed him to do the "processed pledges" thing where people can take back their pledge later on.

If you cannot support it because you don't think it's a fun/well-made game, well we have different taste in games I suppose ;)
Taknamay

Postby Julius » 22 Feb 2014, 16:24

Na, the platform thing was rather a comment how unrealistic the $40,000 are. And I also wonder if there isn't some other reason (kickstarter etc. do at least some rudimentary check for fraud and have some rules in place that disallow certain practices; not saying this is the case here, but if feels odd that they didn't chose an established platform)

All in all it feels to me like an (badly done) attempt to make a quick buck out of a current news topic, and even the addition of the "donations" sounds more like a calculated move to get more funds than a genuine desire to support these organizations (similar to how HumbleBundle does it).
Julius
Community Moderator