small, focused game jam in july?

small, focused game jam in july?

Postby oberhamsi » 27 May 2013, 18:13

would anyone be interested in doing a minimal, very focused game jam?

I suggest we would limit it to

* one theme
* one (wo)man
* one weekend
* one a specific set of graphics (probably from oga)
* code must be from scratch or on top of an open source framework (obviously...)
* participants who finish a game vote for the winner

I would call it "FreeGameDev Forums Game Jam" or "FGDFGJ"

i would love to do it in july and I could organize it, if there's enough interest (a couple of people would be enough; and I could blast it out on twitter and in the oga IRC)
oberhamsi

Re: small, focused game jam in july?

Postby qubodup » 28 May 2013, 16:44

Sure, sounds great! I'd announce it on the free gamer blog.

I'm used to 8-hour local jams. I think a weekend is a good time for an online one.

How would the theme be chosen? Limitations are fun, so prescribing a set of art might be fun. Maybe also a sound effects set? Again, how would the particular set be chosen?

I'd call it FreeGameJam at the risk of confusing 80% of the participants or OpenGameJam at the risk of annoying the free software advocates participants (estimated 20%). :)

6/7 July will be Libre Sofware Meeting in Brussels. Maybe the weekend after that?
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby oberhamsi » 28 May 2013, 19:08

qubodup {l Wrote}:Sure, sounds great! I'd announce it on the free gamer blog.

I'm used to 8-hour local jams. I think a weekend is a good time for an online one.

alright, limiting it to a weekend would make it even more focused. good idea. It also make it more likely we get a few people on IRC concurrently and generally have more exchange going on during the jam. For example, we would definitely have a forum thread here where all participants are encourged to post their project updates. One thread of chaos... but good enough for the first time, i guess.

I would love to have a super simple website where participatns can just dump their screenshot/text updates without registering...

How would the theme be chosen? Limitations are fun, so prescribing a set of art might be fun. Maybe also a sound effects set? Again, how would the particular set be chosen?

five themes are created by an indie developer known to one of the jam-organizers but otherwise independent to the jam. registered jam-participants can vote for one theme in the week leading up to the jam. (this is what pyweek does. imo better then having to deal with user submited themes... multiple rounds of voting... too complex and unlikely to create great result).

I'd call it FreeGameJam at the risk of confusing 80% of the participants or OpenGameJam at the risk of annoying the free software advocates participants (estimated 20%). :)

6/7 July will be Libre Sofware Meeting in Brussels. Maybe the weekend after that?

sounds about right! lets say 13/14 july for now.

I will write a draft of the very short "rules" and an annoucement (we can always change the date until we actually announce is somewhere). i'll use this http://www.pyweek.org/s/rules/ as an inspiration but this document is way to long....
oberhamsi

Postby qubodup » 29 May 2013, 13:14

1. One weekend was your idea. Did you mean to write "week" instead of "weekend" in your first post? :)
  2. I approve of just using one thread. Also I'm for using one thread and not bothering setting up any website for image hosting/text. Just use imgur for images and irc for text.
  3. So you'll provide us with a list of 5 themes to vote on 1 week before the start and each of us picks their favorite? Or each of us gives 1/0/-1 points to each theme?
  4. So what do you want to call the jam? I'll try to get somebody skilled to make a banner. :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby qubodup » 16 Jul 2013, 23:50

Oh, well this didn't happen. :)

On the 20th there will be a jam in Berlin though. Feel free to come or join remotely :)
http://www.berlinminijam.de/
qubodup
Global Moderator